Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Introducing Forum Mafia  (Read 21041 times)

Forum Mafia

• Pawn
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Introducing Forum Mafia
« on: August 15, 2016, 08:37:52 am »
+11

Hi, my name is forum mafia, and frankly it's a little bit strange for me to be introducing myself right now, because I've been a part of this forum for longer than most of the people reading this have probably been around. But I thought it was time for me to make my first post outside of my own subthread, because I am currently in serious risk of ceasing to exist. You see, while a dedicated core of players on this site still love me and play me on a regular basis, they've found that the games they want to play can't fill up right now because of a lack of enough new players to fill up the games.

So, I beg of you, if you have never heard of the forum games section, have a look. Here, there are several aspiring mafia games hoping to fill with players and become a reality. You, reader, may be my last hope of continued existence. Please, do not fail me now.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing Forum Mafia
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 09:17:42 am »
+1

Just look at these animals who are without Mafia games to play:

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 02:26:59 pm »

Hi, my name is forum mafia, and frankly it's a little bit strange for me to be introducing myself right now, because I've been a part of this forum for longer than most of the people reading this have probably been around. But I thought it was time for me to make my first post outside of my own subthread, because I am currently in serious risk of ceasing to exist. You see, while a dedicated core of players on this site still love me and play me on a regular basis, they've found that the games they want to play can't fill up right now because of a lack of enough new players to fill up the games.

So, I beg of you, if you have never heard of the forum games section, have a look. Here, there are several aspiring mafia games hoping to fill with players and become a reality. You, reader, may be my last hope of continued existence. Please, do not fail me now.

I might be interested if I could actually figure out how the game works.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:30:43 pm »

Best way to learn is to play. It's really not that complicated. I mean the game itself can be stupendously complex, but the actual gameplay is very straightforward. Our community is pretty newb friendly in terms of walking people through and explaining lingo. Sign up today!
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:33:52 pm »
+1

Best way to learn is to play. It's really not that complicated. I mean the game itself can be stupendously complex, but the actual gameplay is very straightforward. Our community is pretty newb friendly in terms of walking people through and explaining lingo. Sign up today!

What is even the point of the game, though? I am pretty much totally in the dark about Mafia.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »
+4

What is even the point of the game, though? I am pretty much totally in the dark about Mafia.

To lynch Faust.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

There are a group of people.  Some of those people (an informed minority: mafia) are trying to kill everyone else, while everyone else (uninformed majority: town) are trying to find the mafia and kill them.  So the fun part is in trying to figure out who has extra information.  It is like Resistance or werewolf, or many other social deduction games. 

Wow that wasn't a very good job of explaining it.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 03:34:06 pm »

At its simplest form there are two teams: Mafia who are small minority (say 3/13 players) and Town who are the majority (10/13). Mafia knows everyone else who is also Mafia but a given person playing as Town only knows that they themselves are Town.

Day is when everyone can publicly talk. A day in the game can be weeks of real time (deadlines are according to setup for that particular game). Night is when only members of Mafia can talk secretly among themselves. Nights are usually just a 24-48 hours of real time.
During the day everyone can vote. When the majority of players have voted for a person that person is lynched and the day ends. Once lynched your alignment is revealed and night starts.
At night Mafia are going to kill someone else at will. So generally at the start of each day there are 2 less players than the day before.
Clearly Mafia doesn't night kill themselves so the goal is to figure out who is Mafia and lynch them during the day. Whether Mafia helps you do that lynching or not is entirely based on whether they think doing so will confuse the results enough to leave them looking innocent.

Town wins when all Mafia are dead. Mafia wins when mathematically they simply cannot be prevented from killing every last town.

That's it, in a nutshell. It gets way crazier with roles and night actions and modifiers and setups with extra factions and abilities to kill by town, etc etc etc etc. It is generally advised to play a basic Mafia setup for your first go round. These are delineated in the game thread as M## (currently around 85 or 90). For the craziness you can try Role Madness Mafia which is RMM and generally everyone has a role but there is a serious effort at balance from the setup. Bastard Mafia is just totally left field with basically abuse from the mods. There are other setups but these are the most prominent. I personally prefer RMM because I like all of the interaction and analyzing night actions, although, historically I think I have a btetter win record at base Mafia.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 03:40:57 pm »
+1

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 04:06:15 pm »

Sign up for Soap Opera Mafia. It's a good first game. Either you'll be mafia, and try to kill everyone and not get lynched, or you'll be town, and try to lynch the mafia and not get lynched.

You may or may not have some special power at night which will likely be easy to understand.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 04:44:22 pm »

I haven't seen you in any games, hypocrite!  ::)
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »

Oh ho ho!

Yay! Please everyone come and fill this game up :-) I'm a total newb to Forum Mafia, and this one will be my first game to play in... I really want it to start soon!!
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 11:22:00 pm »

Who do you think it was?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 07:31:25 am »

Who do you think it was?
We will never know.

I strongly support whoever it was.  Please people, come and play!  It's a great game and the community deals really well with new players (I've been playing less than a year and I'm totally hooked).

Come and see what the fuss is about!
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 08:08:04 am »

I'd try but all the mafias have subrules which i cannot understand properly. If anyone wants a player pm me and plz explain how it works =) I've played only classical mafia some years ago.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 09:41:30 am »

Just sign up for one of the two I linked and run with it. The best way to learn is to play. There's no expectation you'll get it perfectly or anything. Also, most everything will be explained within the first game day just in the casual conversation around how the game will progress. I'd sign up myself if I weren't already signed up for 3 other games.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:11 am »

We will never know.
I'm going to take this on as a personal challenge. Assuming this user didn't try to conceal their identity, I think it's possible to narrow it down quite a bit.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:55 am »

Suspects (let me know if I left you off!):

Faust
Roadrunner: I know I didn't do it.
Gkrieg He is almost NEVER online during the time that post was made. Sorry Haddock.
Haddock
Seprix
Iguanaiguana
Awaclus Awaclus doesn't write like that.
ADK He's taking a Mafia break.
PPS
Silverspawn
EFHW
Ashersky
Chairs He hasn't been online since three hours after the original post was made.
Teamlyle Too new
Joseph Joseph doesn't write like that.
Witherweaver He replied to the post about an hour after it was posted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:28:45 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
+1

Suspects (let me know if I left you off!):

Faust
Roadrunner: I know I didn't do it.
Gkrieg
Haddock
Seprix
Iguanaiguana
Awaclus
ADK
PPS
Silverspawn
EFHW
Ashersky
Chairs
Teamlyle
Joseph
Witherweaver
Ummmm... vote: gkrieg?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 11:45:56 am »

More later

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 11:51:11 am »
+1

I mean clearly it was iguanaiguana.  You can tell by the voice, and it just sounds like him.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »
+1

I mean clearly it was iguanaiguana.  You can tell by the voice, and it just sounds like him.

Yeah, I get the Serial Killer vibe, too.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 01:28:20 pm »

The lynch pool has shrunk!

Faust
Haddock
Seprix
Iguanaiguana
PPS
Silverspawn
EFHW
Ashersky

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 01:33:38 pm »

We're playing Forum Mafia Forum Mafia. I cannot believe this. It's obviously whoever was whining about there not being any games. I'd have to go find it.

vote: IguanaIguana for now.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.