Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Civilization (Beta)  (Read 54425 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Civilization (Beta)
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2016, 09:14:39 am »
+1

Hmm, we thought gallery needed to be 6 because it seemed so much better than Duchy.

Well, if you buy it for $5, it's not better than Duchy at all.

Although, now that i think of it, a similar card was attempted before, which used overpay instead. The base card costed $5 and was worth 1VP, but offered no other bonus besides being a cantrip. I felt it was okay, too, but some people argued that you'd just overbuild more and more to get the max out of it. I don't think this really works, but maybe i misunderstood the concerns back then. Either way, probably straight overpay would have been the better solution here. It also means you don't need to limit the amount of extra money you can spend as much and comparisons as well as balance become easier to evaluate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
+3

Peddler is balanced at 4

Actually although we've all been saying this for years, Poacher seems to imply that Peddler is just very slightly too strong at .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2016, 11:11:02 am »
+1

Sure, a hypothetical pure Peddler would always have been a good 4$, just like Lab has always been an extremly good 5$.

About the Duchy thingy, given that the one gains VP tokens and the other is a grenn card I don't see how Gallery could be easily compared to Duchy. Getting a Peddler and 5 VPs for 6$ and 5D sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me and in most Kingdoms you probably could not ignore Gallery. Then again 6$ Actions can rarely be ignored in any Kingdom and 7$ is too much for Gallery.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2016, 12:18:19 pm »
+1

Here is the thoughtproces for Gallery.

What happens if you pay...

$6? => You gain a peddler and 0 VP, 0 Debt. Well, that sounds like pretty bad value for money. I mean, a peddler for $6? what is this? A peddler of gold?
If you pay $6 and take one debt, you also get an estate worth of VP. Well, not great, but it's something.

The 'best' value for money, is when you pay $6 and take 5 debt. You get 5 VP, which is worse than a province, and you just paid $11 in total (maybe spread over two turns, maybe not). Sure, you get a peddler in stead of a province, which doesn't stop your deck, but still. That's $3 more that you paid than for a province, and you get 1 VP less. All in all, it seems ok to me. Maybe on the strong side, but definitely not a must go to card. It probably will make games slightly longer, which I think is a good thing. I am not a huge fan of rush-games.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2016, 01:31:51 pm »
+1

One less dead card in your deck is a non-trivial thing. This is why in the middlegame those 5 VPs can easily beat buying a Province. Sure 6$ and 5D could be "more" than 8C but you might not wanna green yet and want a little bit of extra economy going via that Peddler. Also, in the absence of extra buys if you hit 10$ or 11$ Gallery is a no-brainer over Province in the middlegame.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »
+2

Sure, a hypothetical pure Peddler would always have been a good 4$, just like Lab has always been an extremly good 5$.

About the Duchy thingy, given that the one gains VP tokens and the other is a grenn card I don't see how Gallery could be easily compared to Duchy. Getting a Peddler and 5 VPs for 6$ and 5D sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me and in most Kingdoms you probably could not ignore Gallery. Then again 6$ Actions can rarely be ignored in any Kingdom and 7$ is too much for Gallery.
Lab isn't a "extremly good 5$"

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2016, 02:29:00 pm »
+4

I think that replacing the dept-gaining aspect with a simple Guilds-like overpay effect at (5+) should fix Gallery. Victory points for depts are not a good idea. Imagine, there are already two empty piles and you buy a Gallery and call 9 Duplicates. 50 depts don't hurt you. There is also an issue with Ferry and Ironworks/Workshop. Altar or University also become crazy. And last, but not least, there is the golden deck: King's Court, Remodel, three Galleries ... Changing the effect to "if you buy ... you may overpay" fixes this.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:34:20 pm by King Leon »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure the effect is on-buy, but I already made 2 typos on it...
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 03, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »
+1

The effect is meant on buy yes

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »
+2

Yeah, I probably should of double-checked for typos more, but I just wanted to post these quick while I had the window.
I don't think I want my wordings checked by someone who writes "should of" instead of "should have"... :P

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2016, 07:07:43 am »
+1

Yeah, I probably should of double-checked for typos more, but I just wanted to post these quick while I had the window.
I don't think I want my wordings checked by someone who writes "should of" instead of "should have"... :P
Sorry everyone, it's been a hectic week. I hope you can understand... Anyways the final cards will be 100%* typo free.

*90%-93% anyways.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2016, 06:44:28 pm »
+1

Pro-tip: Don't open tailer. Man, that was a mistake. (Unless there is like a $5 or $2 awesome trasher. The only trasher was Steward, and that was just too late.)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2016, 04:24:03 pm »
+1

So here it is. Based on feedback I've redone all the cards. The following cards have only wording or cosmetic changes:

Bounty:

This one never got previewed, because it was finished later. It's a quadruple peddler next turn, and it gives +2 Buys so you can deal with all that money. It might be to weak for , but it's tenatively plriced there for now.
Jackpot:

I removed the Reserve type, as it felt too extrenuous. Right now it has some tracking built in, with setting aside and discarding. In the end it might just be the vanilla + then + then + and let you track it however you want to though.
Manuscripts:

Just an art change and a slight rename. I wasn't happy with the old art, I had chosen it really fast beacuse I noticed a flaw in the previous art last-minute. It was originally Treaty.
Settlement:

I decided to take this one back to it's roots. Now it's an old fashioned trade-off. 5 for isn't bad, and you can tfb the Duchy and keep 2. Or you can keep it around as a Herbalist-Duchy, who knows, maybe it's the only +Buy.
Establishment:

The new Valley. I changed it for better art, more thematic, and so I could use valley for a top-secret project. Functionally it's the same.
Anvil:

The new Bladesmith, this discards your Anvils instead of trashing them. The art was changed for 2 reasons, I used part of it for Munitions and Bladesmith is a card of LFN's.
Cavalry:

Now is an attack and only draws up to 4 cards in hand.
Decay:

Stuff. Made the attack stronger, added once per turn, and make it give instead of .
Equestrian Village:

Now is less absurd, but it might need another nerf, such as only the first played Equestrian Village gives you .
Dusk Village:

Not a lot of functional change, but it is less wordy and I found the artist's name.
Gallery:

Costs and less typos (Unlike Apser, I'm not good at making cards and 2 AM).
Homecoming:

Less harsh, each player can choose what token they move. This might be too weak for though.
Saddle:

Now always gives +1 Action. And new art.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:04:54 am by ThetaSigma12 »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2016, 06:08:22 pm »
+3

Dusk Village is cwazy. You can safely run 2 cantrip attacks in your deck that are cheaper than Familiar and provide an Action as cherry on the top.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2016, 06:23:37 pm »
+1

Dusk village used to put things in your hand. I stilll think it should.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2016, 03:58:46 am »
+1

Dusk village used to put things in your hand. I stilll think it should.
That would make it much more viable. As it stands it is to my eyes first and above all a cantrip junker with the village being more of a secondary function.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2016, 04:43:39 am »
+1

There are several reasons why my version junked to hand:

(1) Discard for benefit cards become stronger
(2) Trashing is stronger as a defense
(3) If you get a copper junked, at least you can immediately use it for increased buying power

It's still a very strong junker, along the lines of cultist/mountebank. And, annoyingly, it will create slogs where villages are less useful. Which fits the theme of the expansion: cards that don't synergize with themselves.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2016, 08:02:43 am »

*Edit* Why bother gaining the curse to their hand? All it does is make the attack very slightly weaker while adding a few extra words.
Going off this. I mean, there's some more room now I could always switch it back.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:05 am »
+1

The attack is strong enough imo to make it slightly weaker. The copper is more important to gain to your hand, obviously.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2016, 01:23:55 pm »
+1

Just tought I'd put this out there:

I've started working on the next expansion. This one is mainly my endeavor. It's a lot of work, and since it introduces 3 hefty new mechanichs (2 new card types and a new type of landscape cards) it's a lot to playtest. Therefore I'm asking that anybody interested in helping playtest, giving a few ideas, and chipping in their 2 cents would PM. Thanks!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 04, 2016, 11:28:14 am »

Dusk Village: I'll change this to gaining the Copper to hand. I won't do it with the Curse yet to save complexity.

Market Day: Still not happy with the art.

Scenic Village: My next iteration will be "You may play any number of Acitons this turn". It's simple, and doesn't have any tracking issues.

Tailor and Philosophers: There's no real theme here. Phislosophers should maybe be "Overseer" or "Caretaker" to reflect steward. Tailor might not even stay very long, it's just not that cool. Banquet is more interesting and Multitalented's Exotic Traders is a more interesting way to gain cards. Artisan, Altar, and Asper's Minister all do very simmlilar things for .

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2016, 11:31:07 am »
+1

Dusk Village: I'll change this to gaining the Copper to hand. I won't do it with the Curse yet to save complexity.

Scenic Village: My next iteration will be "You may play any number of Acitons this turn". It's simple, and doesn't have any tracking issues.

Tailor and Philosophers: There's no real theme here. Phislosophers should maybe be "Overseer" or "Caretaker" to reflect steward. Tailor might not even stay very long, it's just not that cool. Banquet is more interesting and Multitalented's Exotic Traders is a more interesting way to gain cards. Artisan, Altar, and Asper's Minister all do very simmlilar things for .

I mean, have you played with tailor? It's a high skill card (imo), but it works quite well. Haven't played with banquet, though. Maybe it overlaps too much.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2016, 11:37:55 am »

It's pretty high skill, but it overlaps too much with all kinds of cards. It's not the card, it's the idea.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 06, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »

I don't like how Cavalry discards for both players. It only really works if you have a junky deck and your opponet doesn't, which isn't something that is really encouraged. I'd like it better if it gave you 1 instead.

Stronghold is now an outtake, it doesn't fit as much in the set. It's still a good card though.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »
+1

How about one of these images for Market Day?

Une faire au Moyen Age

Village Fair by Mostaert Dorfkirmes

The Foreign Market by RhysGriffiths

City Market by Edarneor (probably would need some cropping)

Medieval Town by RobinTran

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.