Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: overlord  (Read 5475 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: overlord
« on: August 13, 2016, 03:15:11 am »
+6

the hive cluster is under attack. spawn mor- spawn m- s-s-s-s-spawn more overlords

it's like a band of misfits but with a more pleasant wording that needs to be so because of debt. it is also like a band of misfits that is like 10x more difficult to know when to do; typically in the $4 range are simpler engine components (that is where most villages and a nice chunk of trashing and draw) that offer simple flexibility. in the $5 range, there tends to be more standaloney engine components (minion, hunting party, governor) and otherwise things that tend to be more strategy-defining. and since it's the upper-end, there's more room for them to be completely different and difficult to decide between; do i tactician or do i soothsayer? and the fact that it's debt just lumps it on. would i rather have a lot of $5s, uh, later, or do i want to get to choose them during the turn, and sooner? that's just a big what.

-is this the choosiest card there has ever been? when there's overlord, man, there's options.
-i mean seriously. why would you need paradoxes for robot defense when you could just say, alright. you play an overlord and there's count, artificer, archive, graverobber, cartographer, and tactician on the board.
-does that guy have an outfit from the past or from the future, as depicted in bill and ted
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: empires: overlord
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:53:21 am »

I think it's not uncommon that you open with this card. Any power $5 you want on the first shuffle but not necessarily the entire game pushes you toward this, like Witch or Junk Dealer.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

pitythefool

• Thief
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 01:17:40 pm »
+8

Imagine a kingdom with Overlord, Band of Misfits, and Conspirator.  Play Overlord, select to play it as Band of Misfits, then play Band of Misfits as Conspirator.  +card, +action, +2 coins!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 03:04:17 pm »

I love this card. It's very fun to play with. It might even supplant Graverobber as my favorite Dominion Card.

Also, Obligatory Seprix Joke.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 06:47:39 pm »
+1

The "up to 5 coins" has definitely been significant vs. Band Of Misfit's "up to 4"... a mere difference of 1.  Of course, Dominion players are well aware a $5 card vs. a $4 card can be significant.

Even nicer if you can Ferry or apply other discounts to bring action cards costing more than $5 down to $5 or less to be Overlord-ed
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:40:07 pm »

The "up to 5 coins" has definitely been significant vs. Band Of Misfit's "up to 4"... a mere difference of 1.  Of course, Dominion players are well aware a $5 card vs. a $4 card can be significant.

Even nicer if you can Ferry or apply other discounts to bring action cards costing more than $5 down to $5 or less to be Overlord-ed
Well, BoM is usually "up to $4". But Overlord also has the advantage that across-the-board cost reduction actually lets you play it as more cards. Without something lilke Ferry, BoM really isn't helped by cost reduction.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:50:26 pm »

Well, BoM is usually "up to $4". But Overlord also has the advantage that across-the-board cost reduction actually lets you play it as more cards. Without something lilke Ferry, BoM really isn't helped by cost reduction.

Right.  Overlord can pretend to be any action with enough Highways in play.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:06 pm »

Are you also somehow magically discounting and ?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:20:57 am »

Are you also somehow magically discounting and ?
I'm going with benefit of the doubt and say that debt and potions were implied to be off limits.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 01:03:41 am »
+1

-i mean seriously. why would you need paradoxes for robot defense when you could just say, alright. you play an overlord and there's count, artificer, archive, graverobber, cartographer, and tactician on the board.
i have no idea what this means at all
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 02:35:45 am »

i have no idea what this means at all

In science fiction, one can often thwart an artificial intelligence by presenting it with a paradoxical question, presumably sending it into an infinite loop as it tries to answer the unanswerable. Your above comment humorously suggests that, as an alternative to this method, one could simply ask an A.I. (or "robot") which card to play Overlord as, and that decision would be sufficiently complex to effectively disable the A.I.

I have now explained your joke to you, thereby making it funnier.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.