Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which of these Kingdoms is your favorite?

Game 1: Moat, Tunnel, Bishop, Gardens, Ironworks, Young Witch, Tournament, Council Room, Torturer, Border Village
- 5 (5.8%)
Game 2: Crossroads, Loan, Silk Road, Baron, Bureaucrat, Apprentice, Duke, Farmland, Harem, Nobles
- 14 (16.3%)
Game 3: Haven, Great Hall, Workshop, Masquerade, Ironworks, Island, Throne Room, Tactician, Goons, King's Court
- 6 (7%)
Game 4: Lookout, Masquerade, Oracle, Smithy, Worker's Village, Festival, Ghost Ship, Margrave, Mountebank, Treasury
- 9 (10.5%)
Game 5: Embargo, University, Scrying Pool, Worker's Village, Remodel, Wharf, Rabble, Grand Market, Forge, Peddler
- 6 (7%)
Game 6: Menagerie, Tunnel, Ghost Ship, Governor, Inn, Monument, Worker's Village, Grand Market, Goons, Adventurer
- 16 (18.6%)
Game 7: Embargo, Scheme, Menagerie, Watchtower, Fishing Village, Remake, Haggler, Vault, Grand Market, Expand
- 7 (8.1%)
Game 8: Crossroads, Secret Chamber, Warehouse, Loan, Ambassador, Caravan, Worker's Village, Bureaucrat, Merchant Ship, Grand Market
- 11 (12.8%)
Game 9: Chapel, Fishing Village, Watchtower, Ironworks, Gardens, Bridge, Highway, Mountebank, Ill-gotten Gains, Goons
- 12 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: February 05, 2012, 05:15:12 am

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Final Voting: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Kingdom Design Challenge  (Read 31744 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Final Voting: 2011 DominionStrategy.com Kingdom Design Challenge
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 01:56:48 am »

With Set 2, isn't it possible to build an engine that plays B-crat multiple times a turn, pretty much ruining the day of a player whose deck is solidly green?  I'd think the B-crat player picking up Silk Roads and trashing them with Apprentice (which would also help against choking on B-crat silver) would severely hamper the potential score of a Baron/Silk Road rush, and would have a smattering of Harems and/or Nobles to keep the score close when 3-piling was near.  Is that strategy just way too slow to get going?  I guess you can't trash your Coppers due to Loan being a non-bo with B-crat and perhaps it doesn't do enough damage when you can still have Baron + Estate = Silk Road.

I think Bureacrat would probably pollute with Silver such that you don't have a game that feels like a pin.  However, you'd start drawing Silver instead, and Silver's not a terrible card. 

Bureacrat is very intriguing in this set which is neat but you have to remember that in the average case it's a weak card.  You probably won't have the flexibility to use apprentice to twist it into working the way you want it too, you'll end up slow and inconsistent.  You have to play a weak card for all of its strengths, here the weak disruption and the Silver gain have to be used to their best so you want to use the Silver to help you build a fluffy Silk Road deck and the attack to slow down enemy engines so that it comes down to the slow Silk Road.  So I don't think you can play it greedily for the super attack combo.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:59:18 am by popsofctown »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:01 am »

Hm. I still need to consider a few of the sets here, but I'm fairly sure my least favourites are 2 and 9, with 1 only close behind.

2 because so little of the set actually seems important. Duke is pretty irrelevant. Apprentice I'm trying to imagine encorporating, but can't really see it. Loan could be useful, but I doubt it'd help much more than a silver in most cases. It's clear that Silk Road and Crossroads are very valuable, along with Baron. So putting that all together, it feels like a very contracted board with too few interesting options.

9 seems like a group of power cards thrown together with some strong combos. It's probably a tough set to play optimally, but I think IW/G would be pretty close to it, and that's so boring and easy. A very delicate and cunning combo will probably beat it, but whether anyone could think of that in the space of a single game... I have my doubts.

1 is similar to 9 - IW/G is just that good. I like the attack-counter style of the other cards, which makes me like it more than 2 and 9, and a 2/5 here seems to open things up a lot more which probably biased my opinion. But overall it doesn't look all that interesting and the game that was actually played didn't seem all that exciting.

I'm leaning towards 3, 5 or 6 as my favourite currently, but need to think more about 7, 8 and 4.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:30 am »

So, a word on B-Crat in set two. The ONLY reason I think you might want to not get one is because it's going to lessen the effectiveness of your barons, and, to a lesser extent, the crossroads. Or I guess, that barons are even just that much stronger. But the more I think about it, the more I like B-Crat here. 1 baron, then 1B-crat, then race green. The bureaucrat attack usually gets maybe 3 hits over the course of the game. Here, it's going to hit, like, every single time. And the silver gives you a lot of longevity in being able to grab SR and even duchies and harems for a long time.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2012, 10:27:21 am »

Loan trims your deck too much to have room for green cards, but allows your deck to run a more consistent and powerful engine with Nobles and CR.  It also makes Baron fizzle less.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

None of sets 7, 8 or 4 particularly enthuse me, leaving 3, 5 and 6. And 3 I'm less enthusiastic about now, as it kinda just feels like a showcase of the pin being a trap. So it's between 5 and 6. And of those two, I think 5 just takes it. Both are great sets, both have vital cards the set builds around (Wharf/University vs. Goons) and both give diverging ways to build those engines up. But I feel set 5 is just a little less luck reliant, so it's getting my vote.

And now I have voted and seen the results, I'm a bit baffled by them. Sets 2 and 9 are winning... why? is there some interesting thing in set 2 that I missed and the two finalists missed during the game? And set 9?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:36 am »

And now I have voted and seen the results, I'm a bit baffled by them. Sets 2 and 9 are winning... why? is there some interesting thing in set 2 that I missed and the two finalists missed during the game? And set 9?

I was also surprised until I actually played set two with a friend. It is a fun set to play although my personal vote was for 8 because of its ability to make an Ambassador interesting.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 01:18:22 am »

Set 5 for me. Several fun cards in there, none I really dislike (Goons etc.). I especially like Remodel and Forge. Watching the video, it was played interestingly too; very nice ending.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »

Vote sooner rather than later guys! Voting closes in 3 days! This is a close race between 2(13) 6(12) and 9(12) with 8 as a possible candidate for victor in 4th with 10
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 08:33:37 pm »
+1

Glad to see set 6 inching its way to the top.  It's really that one and #8 for me that are the clear best.  Really fun to play, complex decisions, and most importantly: requiring of both strategic and tactical decisions.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2012, 06:56:40 am »

I agree! I voted for 6 also even though I hate ghost ship there's some cards to deal with it  ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:03:11 am by Arya Stark »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »

Personally I'm not a fan of Governor... but game 6 is still my favourite.
I don't like game 8, though. Ambassador is boring.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »

Game six pulled to the front.  It's like a horse race.

I can't help but wonder if people like voting for the underdog

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 07:21:19 pm »

At this point, as sad as it is, I think tactical voting begins to play in. Those who voted for the ones not near the lead change their votes, so their strong second can win it. Personally I've changed my vote from 5 to 6, because as I said, it's close between those for which I like more, and my least favourites by a landslide... were 2 and 9.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:54 pm »
+2

At this point, as sad as it is, I think tactical voting begins to play in.
What's sad is that the forum software uses plurality voting. Man. Whatever happened to Cloneproof Schwartz Sequential Dropping?

Of course even better is not determining a winner at all. Have the prize be money, divide it proportionally to votes gotten.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

At this point, as sad as it is, I think tactical voting begins to play in.
What's sad is that the forum software uses plurality voting. Man. Whatever happened to Cloneproof Schwartz Sequential Dropping?

Of course even better is not determining a winner at all. Have the prize be money, divide it proportionally to votes gotten.

I find it somewhat ironic that the game designer promotes money over the game as a prize.
I like it!
Flash Edit: I actually think either is a totally appropriate prize.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2012, 10:41:14 pm »
+1

It makes sense if Donald submitted some himself! Apparently he doesn't need any of the expansions...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 24 queries.