Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Plot: A $5 gainer event  (Read 3877 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1812
    • View Profile
Plot: A $5 gainer event
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:07:31 am »
+1

This card was originally part of a set I was working on with some other people, but because it used the secret society deck it was changed to a promo card shaped thingy.
Plot Event
Reveal the top 3 cards of the secret society deck. You may gain one of them. Add an extra Kingdom Action card to the secret society deck. Before the game begins, make a Secret Society deck out of 10 Action Kingdom cards costing exactly not in the supply.

It used to use the Black Market deck, but it was too random and swingy due to the costs. This provides an alternative to Black Market. It hasn't been tested in a game with secret society yet however.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:05:25 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
Re: Plot: A $5 gainer event
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:57 am »
+1

This seems pretty interesting.  I like it. 

I have nothing else to say except that the inconsistency between "Kingdom Action" and "Action Kingdom" in the text is bothering me.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:09 am »

Needs clarification on "adding" to the Secret Society deck. It could be shuffled in, placed on the bottom, or placed on the top.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 07:38:00 pm »

Instead of having, "Add an extra Kingdom Action card costing exactly $5 to the Secret Society deck," why not have 'move an Action card from the Supply costing to the Secret Society deck?"

This avoids the problem of rules lawyers trying to dig for a Knight or Small Castle, or of people trying to move a card from the Trash or elsewhere, and avoids the use of "Kingdom" in a card text, which DXV found to be unhelpful when playtesting Empires.

Also, you can rephrase "Before the game" to "Setup:"

Also, I don't think you need "exactly "--you can just say .

Finally, cost-reducers can put more expensive cards into the SS deck. Is that your intent? Or were you trying to get around that with "exactly"?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 11:01:35 pm by Marcory »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:53:11 am »
+1

Instead of having, "Add an extra Kingdom Action card costing exactly $5 to the Secret Society deck," why not have 'move an Action card from the Supply costing to the Secret Society deck?"
Ehm, because the Secret Society deck is, like a Black Market deck, supposed to feature cards which are not in the supply. ^^
The point of the Event is that you are willing to take some amount of risk via not knowing which cards will come up for choice for the sake of getting a potentially single good 5 which is not available for the other folks. For example a Curser in a game in which there are no Cursers in the Kingdom.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:49:20 am »

Ehm, because the Secret Society deck is, like a Black Market deck, supposed to feature cards which are not in the supply. ^^
The point of the Event is that you are willing to take some amount of risk via not knowing which cards will come up for choice for the sake of getting a potentially single good 5 which is not available for the other folks. For example a Curser in a game in which there are no Cursers in the Kingdom.

What is a "Kingdom Action card"? Isn't it one that is in the Kingdom?

Otherwise, why keep adding "Kingdom Action cards" to the deck in-game? Since you can't gain these cards otherwise, why not just start with an arbitrarily large Secret Society deck, like the Black Market deck?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:05:03 am by Marcory »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 12:10:27 pm »

What is a "Kingdom Action card"? Isn't it one that is in the Kingdom?

Otherwise, why keep adding "Kingdom Action cards" to the deck in-game? Since you can't gain these cards otherwise, why not just start with an arbitrarily large Secret Society deck, like the Black Market deck?
First, it is easier to memorize 10 cards than 25 or however much you use for the Black Market deck.
Second, you have less risk when you draw from a smaller card pool. This is by the way why this Event might be too good and why a choice of 2 instead of 3 cards might be better (of course as usual only playtesting will tell).

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »

I agree with removing the "Kingdom" part, since Kingdom cards are cards that are in the Supply, and this is about gaining cards that aren't in the Supply.  It could also use some clarification on where the other two revealed cards go and where you add the card to.  I really like the idea, though; if there aren't any really good $5 piles in the Kingdom, it could be pretty powerful.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 07:50:53 pm »

This seems pretty interesting.  I like it. 

I have nothing else to say except that the inconsistency between "Kingdom Action" and "Action Kingdom" in the text is bothering me.
Fixed!
Needs clarification on "adding" to the Secret Society deck. It could be shuffled in, placed on the bottom, or placed on the top.
There's not a lot of room on the card, so that might need to be FAQ. The intention was it went on the bottom.

This avoids the problem of rules lawyers trying to dig for a Knight or Small Castle, or of people trying to move a card from the Trash or elsewhere, and avoids the use of "Kingdom" in a card text, which DXV found to be unhelpful when playtesting Empires.

Also, you can rephrase "Before the game" to "Setup:"

Also, I don't think you need "exactly "--you can just say .

Finally, cost-reducers can put more expensive cards into the SS deck. Is that your intent? Or were you trying to get around that with "exactly"?
I agree with removing the exactly. The bottom part is a word for word copy of Secret Society, so it seems good.

This also says "Before the game"

I'll take all of this into consideration, and try to get a cleaner version of the card.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »
+1

I would just give the deck a larger size and remove the part where cards are added (which would have to be expanded otherwise, as GendoIkari explained). This also avoids weird rules questions with cost reducers. And i don't see anything wrong with the first few purchases being more luck dependant, as they also get to choose first. Finally, what do you do about setup clauses of cards that are added to the deck only later, like Baker?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:49:56 pm »

I would just give the deck a larger size and remove the part where cards are added (which would have to be expanded otherwise, as GendoIkari explained). This also avoids weird rules questions with cost reducers. And i don't see anything wrong with the first few purchases being more luck dependant, as they also get to choose first.
Okay.
Finally, what do you do about setup clauses of cards that are added to the deck only later, like Baker?
Well it seems clear that they just wouldn't do anything. It says "Before the game begins", so if it's added mid-game nothing happens.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:49 pm »

I would just give the deck a larger size and remove the part where cards are added (which would have to be expanded otherwise, as GendoIkari explained). This also avoids weird rules questions with cost reducers. And i don't see anything wrong with the first few purchases being more luck dependant, as they also get to choose first.
Okay.

Well, that's just what i'd do.

Finally, what do you do about setup clauses of cards that are added to the deck only later, like Baker?
Well it seems clear that they just wouldn't do anything. It says "Before the game begins", so if it's added mid-game nothing happens.

Hm... I guess there are no (official) $5 cards where it would matter, but consider things like, uh, my Necromancer or Invader. If such a card would be added without the setup, it would be broken (which isn't that different from the problems you get with a single Treasure Map in the Black Market deck, of course).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:08:24 pm by Asper »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 04:09:16 pm »

I just hope that one of the cards in the Secret Society Deck is 'Plot Twist'.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 04:57:52 pm »

Ah, now i get what might have been the incentive to keep the Secret Society deck equal sized: IYou wanted the Event to use the same deck of cards as Co0kieL0rd's Secret Society, right? While Secret Society is fun, i would suggest to not have the deck be the same. It only very rarely matters, and if it does, it's probably not even that much fun. You open up more design space when just making it another deck of cards, and i don't think the interaction is really worth to not do that.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 09:30:16 pm »

This looks interesting. As always, I love the art. What does it have to do with a plot though, and how does the name connect to the card's mechanic?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 08:16:30 am »
+1

This looks interesting. As always, I love the art. What does it have to do with a plot though, and how does the name connect to the card's mechanic?

You mixed up the seeds last spring, and now have no control over what you harvest.
I thought it was pretty obvious.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:44 am »

You mixed up the seeds last spring, and now have no control over what you harvest.
I thought it was pretty obvious.

Nah, too similar to Harvest.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.