Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Discord Server  (Read 9270 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Dominion Discord Server
« on: August 09, 2016, 04:04:53 pm »
+11

After the recent outages, I got thinking it might be nice to have another Dominion hub where A) conversations are a little easier to follow than on reddit and B) the community is a bit more focused than on BGG. Being an old man, I only recently discovered Discord, which is like a chatroom/forum (text and/or voice, voice is optional) you can pop in to anytime. You don't even have to register.

One nice thing about the program is it could facilitate matching up with other players or just looking for casual games, a problem often complained about (but hopefully addressed in Dominion Online 3.0). It should theoretically also make tournaments far easier to organize since you wouldn't have to send tons of PMs; you could just chat with people on here. One-day cups could even be run almost entirely based on discussions in the discord chat.

I haven't explored every feature, but did go ahead and create a server. If anyone is familiar or interested, drop by and let's see if we can make this a thing.

https://discord.gg/6MJ9KsT
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:19:24 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Discord Server
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:21:02 pm »

dang, i was thinking about doing this!  good ish, i'll hop in there after streaming tonight probably

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:28 pm »

Well, this will be decently fun, I guess.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:51:30 am »

I just wanted to try it out and installed Discord. But the link you gave jsh is invalid or expired, it says.

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 07:07:36 am »

From what I recall, Discord instant invite links last only 24 hours, so that should be it.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 08:23:33 am »

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 08:24:52 am »
+1

If that doesn't work, here is an instant invite that hopefully works and has no time limit:

https://discord.gg/6MJ9KsT

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 07:11:49 pm »

We started up an impromptu tournament in the server today. Come join in for the nonglory!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:49 pm »
+1

We started up an impromptu tournament in the server today. Come join in for the nonglory!

The winner receives a bar of gold they cannot access with their five senses within the physical realm.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:29 am »
+1

can someone explain to me what discord is and what the appeal of this new site / service / whatever is before I sign up for it? generally I am skeptical of sites based on the names of my little pony villains
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 10:35:11 am »

can someone explain to me what discord is and what the appeal of this new site / service / whatever is before I sign up for it? generally I am skeptical of sites based on the names of my little pony villains

I didn't even know that.

It's pretty nice, actually. It's like Mumble and Skype had a child, and it wasn't made by Microsoft, so it's way better. You can download an app for it so you don't have to go to the dumb website every time, which I recommend. You can also talk to all of your Dominion friends, like IsotropicWasBetter, Errin F, and plenty more!* Also, when you sign up for Discord, you get a free object of some kind, for free! Who could turn that down?! Sign up for Discord today! You won't regret it! Unless you do.

*you don't get to talk with these people

Anyways, enough corporate shilling. I actually do recommend you try it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:37:49 am by Seprix »

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »

If you are familiar with Slack, its kinda like that with respect to chat features, except that the built-in integrations are geared towards gaming, not IT work. It also has voice chat features for playing games with a "squad", which I assume would work out pretty decently for quick games and discussion (but I haven't tried it). It is useful to find games, and we ran a little tournament yesterday that worked out pretty well.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 01:43:01 pm »

It seems cool. I'll join I guess.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.