Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card ideas: Church, Cathedral and Dome  (Read 2447 times)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
Card ideas: Church, Cathedral and Dome
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:24:32 am »
+1

Hey guys, here's just a random idea I had a while ago and just found in my files. I have no idea if these would work out this way, or any at all. But they look interesting to me and I'd like to hear some opinions before I possibly go to test these.

Church, $5, Action
+1 Action. Choose one: Trash any number of cards from your hand; or gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.
Setup: Add Cathedral and Dome to the Kingdom.

Cathedral, $7, Action/ Attack
+2 Cards. +1 Actions. Return all Curses from the trash to the Supply. Each other player gains a Curse.
You can’t buy this if you don’t have 3 or more Churches in play.

Dome, $8, Action
Gain a Victory card. Each other player gains a Victory card costing up to $3 less than it.
You can’t buy this if you don’t have at least a Cathedral and a Gold in play.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Card ideas: Church, Cathedral and Dome
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »

Well, I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Maybe put the last two as a split pile?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:19 pm »
+2

I feel like Cathedral and Dome would be better as non-supply cards that you gain when the conditions are met...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:43:30 pm »

Church is pretty strong, a non-terminal Chapel or a non-terminal Explorer (without the Gold option).
I like Cathedral's idea of infinite junk which you can get rid off via Churches but the condition to get it seens far too harsh. Why would I ever want more than 1 or 2 Churches in my deck? Just in order to get a Lab-junker which is no problem to deal with due to Church? Just to get this junker as a stepstone towards a card which gains Provinces for me and Duchies for the other guys?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 01:44:47 pm »
+1

I feel like "costing up to $3 less" is ambiguous, though maybe I'm the only one.  It looks like it could be parsed as "(up to $3)" less---i.e., x-0, x-1, x-2, x-3---or "up to ($3 less)"---i.e., 0, 1, 2, ..., x-3.  It's obviously meant the second way (which is the more natural read anyway), but I could maybe see someone confusing it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:45 pm »

Church seems fine.

I am really never a fan of returning Curses from the trash to the Supply. It just seems like an awful, completely no-fun ability.

I think Dome is worth trying since there's really nothing like it so far. Directly gaining expensive Victory cards has the potential to lead to awful games (see Rebuild), but Dome requires quite a lot of rigmarole to buy, so maybe it's fine. Tough to say.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 02:16:54 pm »

I feel like "costing up to $3 less" is ambiguous, though maybe I'm the only one.  It looks like it could be parsed as "(up to $3)" less---i.e., x-0, x-1, x-2, x-3---or "up to ($3 less)"---i.e., 0, 1, 2, ..., x-3.  It's obviously meant the second way (which is the more natural read anyway), but I could maybe see someone confusing it.

Saboteur says "He trashes that card and may gain a card costing at most $2 less than it" so that's the wording I'll use. Thanks for the reminder.

I think some people might be okay with a card that returns Curses to the Supply with such a strong trasher as Church being around. I know the condition to play 3 Churches before you can even buy Cathedral is really awkward but I couldn't come up with something better so far. I probably didn't put to much thought into it back then. Cathedral is supposed to be somewhat hard to access but maybe 2 Churches is fine.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 02:45:51 pm »

Cathedral and Dome would be part of the supply, correct? If so, there's no protection against gaining them early in the game, with remodel or the like. Is this on purpose?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »

There is no reason to ever have 3 Churches in your deck (except for perhaps Feodum), let alone have more such that you will play 3 during one turn.
This I why I think that you should roll with Doom_Shark's suggestion and do Church/Cathedral as a Split pile.
Dome's condition is IMO balanced but kinda dull. So you could consider to do this as a triple split pile. 4/4/3 or 4/3/3 or whatever. Of course there is an argument that it should be hard to get Dome but I don't think that the card is that super strong for an 8$ to not be OK as part of a split pile.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:19:40 pm »

There is no reason to ever have 3 Churches in your deck (except for perhaps Feodum), let alone have more such that you will play 3 during one turn.
This I why I think that you should roll with Doom_Shark's suggestion and do Church/Cathedral as a Split pile.
Dome's condition is IMO balanced but kinda dull. So you could consider to do this as a triple split pile. 4/4/3 or 4/3/3 or whatever. Of course there is an argument that it should be hard to get Dome but I don't think that the card is that super strong for an 8$ to not be OK as part of a split pile.

That's probably the most elegant solution. I came up with these before split piles existed and now I didn't put too much further thought into it. I'd like to split them 4/3/3. Should I still keep the buy condition on Dome or is the fact that it's "buried" under two other card piles enough of a predicament?

Church, $5, Action
+1 Action. Choose one: Trash any number of cards from your hand; or gain a Silver, putting it into your hand.

Cathedral, $7, Action/ Attack
+2 Cards. +1 Actions. Return all Curses from the trash to the Supply. Each other player gains a Curse.

Dome, $8, Action
Gain a Victory card. Each other player gains a Victory card costing at most $3 less than it.
You can’t buy this if you don’t have at least a Cathedral and a Gold in play.
Check out my fan cards!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:59:48 pm »
+2

You could just split them 4/4/4 and make it a 12 card pile.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 04:46:21 pm »

You could just split them 4/4/4 and make it a 12 card pile.
Probably better for 2- and 4-player games that way.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 11:41:31 am »

I think Dome should either be an Attack or be optional for others. Duchies are nice and all, but this could also be an Estate junker.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.