Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Inheritance  (Read 19987 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Inheritance
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 01:28:47 pm »

Inheriting shepherd sounds pretty good. It effectively turns a hand of N green cards into a hand of 1 dead card and N-1 labs, so long as at least one of those green cards is an estate.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »

Is there anything better to inheret than IronMonger?
I've only just noticed this thread. People have mentioned a few things, but I'd like to add a few.

Firstly, Baron stands out to me as the ultimate Inheritance. If you can see some trashing and a village, one actual Baron lets you Inherit quickly, then the +Buy means you can empty the pile of self synergising Estate-Barons very quickly while using the other $2 per Estate-Baron to buy your other engine components.

I think Baron is actually a pretty weak target. Baron + Estate is the same amount of money as 2 Silvers. In games without Inheritance, that can be good because Estates don't do anything. Turning a junk card into a Silver is pretty nice! Also, sometimes you just need the Buy, and with a bit of overdraw you can discard the same Estate to multiple Barons.

In games with Inheritance, Estates actually do something - they turn into whatever $4 or less Action you want. If you Inherit Baron, then without overdraw, each Estate is a terminal +$2, + half a buy, which is worse than Woodcutter. Surely there's something better to do than Woodcutter. With overdraw, it gets better, but most games don't have enough overdraw to justify getting a lot of Barons.

TL;DR Baron is best when when your Estates are bad and Inheritance is the best at making Estates good.

You can still use Baron to spike Inheritance early, then use it to pile out Estates quickly (thanks to its +buy and gain an Estate), so there is some synergy between the two.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 07:56:39 pm »

There isn't much more I can say.

I've tried it for real when the opportunity arose in an RL game, and it Inherited-Baron worked really well.

Compared with a normal Baron engine, Inherited-Baron provides you with not one but two ways to pick up more Inherited-Barons really cheaply while leaving you with enough economy to buy the other engine components you need. But what I found even better was that you can get two Inherited-Estates in hand much more reliably than one Baron and one Estate; 2*n Inherited-Barons are better to have than n Estates and n Barons.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 12:57:18 am »
+2

There isn't much more I can say.

I've tried it for real when the opportunity arose in an RL game, and it Inherited-Baron worked really well.

Compared with a normal Baron engine, Inherited-Baron provides you with not one but two ways to pick up more Inherited-Barons really cheaply while leaving you with enough economy to buy the other engine components you need. But what I found even better was that you can get two Inherited-Estates in hand much more reliably than one Baron and one Estate; 2*n Inherited-Barons are better to have than n Estates and n Barons.

It's more that it's hard for me to see a game where you want that many Barons in your deck. 2n Inherited-Barons is indeed better than n Barons n Estates, but 1-2 Barons + Inheriting an engine component you need sounds better than both.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 01:42:35 am »

If you can draw four Baron-Estates with two actions available, that's a Province. If you can draw eight with four actions available, that's a double-Province.

I seem to remember it was actually a Colony game; I managed to play five (including the one real Baron I'd bought to reach $7)  on five others, then play the Steward I'd used for thinning as a final $2 for double-Colony turns.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 02:10:42 am »
+2

If you can draw four Baron-Estates with two actions available, that's a Province. If you can draw eight with four actions available, that's a double-Province.
That's not particularly impressive. 8 Silvers and a buy is also double-Province.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 12:22:08 pm »

That's not particularly impressive. 8 Silvers and a buy is also double-Province.

And there's the core principle. Baron isn't a single card that generates $4. It's a set of two cards that generate $2 each. That's Silver. Inheriting Baron is basically allow you to buy $2 Silvers that also give you a +buy but cost actions to play. Using up those extra actions is a steep price for a tiny upgrade over Silver.

Inheriting Baron is basically Delve with downside.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 08:22:57 pm »

Is Delve actually bad, though?

(I'd argue that the ability to use a single Baron-Estate as a Baron-Estate gainer, plus the three free starting Baron-Estates, minus the three inert Estates you'd start with otherwise make Inheritance on Baron not necessarily worse than Delve. Plus, it might synergise with the rest of the kingdom in ways Silver can't.)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »

Is Delve actually bad, though?

(I'd argue that the ability to use a single Baron-Estate as a Baron-Estate gainer, plus the three free starting Baron-Estates, minus the three inert Estates you'd start with otherwise make Inheritance on Baron not necessarily worse than Delve. Plus, it might synergise with the rest of the kingdom in ways Silver can't.)

Terminal Delve would be. That’s basically Duchess.

An engine running on several Barons isn’t the worst thing (you don’t need a UNIQUE Estate per Baron), but it isn’t very draw or action efficient, and is usually the kind of thing you only do if it’s the main thing on the board.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.