Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The future of expansions  (Read 3312 times)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
The future of expansions
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:22:14 am »

So, one day, I was talking to another IRL dominion enthusiast who does not visit these forums, and I was talking about the reasons for the half expansions, specufically the greman publishers wanting a small expansion. What ended up coming out of that discussion was a very simple design idea for continuing dominion.
The concept is this: pre-packaged kingdoms. All donald would have to do is design ten cards at a time, package them with a little booklet equivalent to the card descriptions section of the rulebooks, and bam! You have one kingdom ready to play, with all sorts of tricks you can try to figure out, then mix them in with the rest of your collection. Thoughts?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: The future of expansions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:26:04 am »

I am in favor of anything that allows for more cards.

But it's not as easy: all 10 of those cards would have to be testes with all kinds of other combinations too, though.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:28:25 am »

I never intended to imply that only that one kingdom would be tested, just that there would be a little extra nuance when the ten cards were played together or with similar substitutes.
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 05:38:41 am »
+5

But why? I seriously don't see the upside to this.

The main reason why this doesn't work is for economic reasons. If Donald could just publish ten specific cards at the time it might work but the additional rescources are limited. If he wants to publish Potion cards, he has to do it in one expansion otherwise Potions never get reprinted again. Same applies to mats, tokens, etc. So you'd end up with a Kingdom of eight potion cards which is not fun. There is a reason we play random kingdoms all the time and the games get better the more expansion you have.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't hate it if the recommended Kingdoms would be playtested more thoroughly but if the hours go into testing the cards themselves instead, I'm perfectly happy.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:31:18 am »

And I understand this. The idea would be to do cards that don't require extra components to hold the public over until he comes up with an idea for the next expansion. Like promos, but ten of them, sort of designed with each other in mind.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:48:14 am »
+4

If the viability of the small expansions that have 12 or 13 cards is low enough that Donald says they won't do them anymore (and is the reason Cornucopia and Guilds were combined), then it is probably unlikely this is a thing that they would expect to sell well enough to do.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »

I didn't realize that this was a concern that donald and company had. Oh well.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:47:34 pm »
+6

So, one day, I was talking to another IRL dominion enthusiast who does not visit these forums, and I was talking about the reasons for the half expansions, specufically the greman publishers wanting a small expansion. What ended up coming out of that discussion was a very simple design idea for continuing dominion.
The concept is this: pre-packaged kingdoms. All donald would have to do is design ten cards at a time, package them with a little booklet equivalent to the card descriptions section of the rulebooks, and bam! You have one kingdom ready to play, with all sorts of tricks you can try to figure out, then mix them in with the rest of your collection. Thoughts?
HiG wanted very small expansions e.g. 5 cards. The reason Alchemy is 12 cards is that that was as low as I was willing to go. There is a basic issue of trying to make random work no matter what expansions you bought. If there were 20 5-card expansions and you had whatever 10 you bought, you might end up with way too many villages, way too few +Buy cards, etc. The larger the expansions are the better I can get things to work out there.

However then we found out that people preferred large expansions. So at this point the existence of a new small expansion would really depend on me feeling up for that but not feeling up to doing anything bigger. Which isn't out of the question, but.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 01:53:51 pm »

all 10 of those cards would have to be testes with all kinds of other combinations too, though.

Teeheehee.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:29 pm »
+3

I like big expansions.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:07:31 pm »
+1

I like big expansions.
And cannot lie?

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 04:48:07 am »

I like big expansions.
And cannot lie?
And you other players can-not deny
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.