Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Events costing $P  (Read 7371 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Events costing $P
« on: August 01, 2016, 10:48:40 am »
+4

It came to me that treasures costing $4 could also be events costing $P with +1 Buy. The potion.

Of the $4 treasures that exist, Quarry makes the most sense:

Quarry
Event - $P
+1 Buy
+$1
Action cards cost $2 less this turn, but not less than $0

It also allows for simple cards that may not really justify a full slot. So, for example, a non terminal workshop variant:

Conjure
Event - $P
+1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to $4

Something to consider if your fan expansion has cards costing $P.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
Re: Events costing $P
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
+1

Interesting ideas. I'm still waiting for donald to do an alchemy pt. II, because I believe that alchemy would have been better as a full expansion. But I'm getting of topic.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:37:13 am »

I think it'd also be interesting to have an event that gives a potion and a buy.

Event name - $2
+ potion
+ buy

(didn't give much thought to the pricing or other things you could do with it)
Go, and do likewise.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:25:56 pm »

Or better yet, a Event that costs 2

Lapis Philosophorum
Event
Cost: 2
+1 Buy
Trash 2 from play. If you did, gain 4 Gold cards, putting them on top of your deck.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:30:12 pm by Destry »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:15 pm »
+5

Lapis Philosophorum
Event
+1 Buy
Trash 2 from play. If you did, gain 4 Gold cards, putting them on top of your deck.

No, we can do this better without the potion. Just make it cost something like... $8 maybe? But then it's too easy. What if we made it a kingdom card costing $4? Then, instead of having to deal with potions, you just have to collide two copies of the kingdom cards, and it looks like this:

"Lapis Philosophorum
Action
Cost: $4
Trash this and another copy of Lapis philosophorum from your hand. If you do, gain 4 Gold cards, putting them on top of your deck."

Isn't that better?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 06:22:18 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 06:10:27 pm »

Lapis Philosophorum
Event
+1 Buy

Much stronger than Treasure Map; a lot of the difficulty lining up comes from the fact that it's a terminal action. A better comparison is Fools Gold (which IIRC is generally considered underpriced at $2)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:22:13 pm »

Lapis Philosophorum
Event
+1 Buy

Much stronger than Treasure Map; a lot of the difficulty lining up comes from the fact that it's a terminal action. A better comparison is Fools Gold (which IIRC is generally considered underpriced at $2)

I dunno, I think Fool's Gold is well priced at $2.

Lapis Philosophorum isn't stronger than Treasure Map if it's the only Potion-cost thing on the board.  Also, the fact that you can't trigger it in the action phase is a drawback sometimes.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 03:08:26 am »
+1

Lapis Philosophorum
Event
+1 Buy

I dunno, I think Fool's Gold is well priced at $2.

Lapis Philosophorum isn't stronger than Treasure Map if it's the only Potion-cost thing on the board.  Also, the fact that you can't trigger it in the action phase is a drawback sometimes.

Terminal draw makes it easier to line up the two potions. I can't remember the last time I activated a Treasure Map then drew but that is a fair point.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:45:39 am »
+2

A P-costing event can be fun!

Druidic Ritual
Event
Cost: P

+1 Buy
Gain an Action card costing up to $ where $ is the number of Action cards in play.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 07:43:34 am »
+1

It came to me that treasures costing $4 could also be events costing $P with +1 Buy.

Is it a common notion that $P is equivalent to $4? I mean a potion *costs* $4, but then a Gold costs $6.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 07:57:38 am »

It's a fool's notion.

You really can't translate something costing P to a non-P equivalent.
If you would say that P (costing $4) gives the equivalent of $2.5 (Silver gives $2, Gold gives $3) you could argue that 4P can get you a Province.
This is obviously false.

The most important thing about P is that with one P in your deck, you can only buy one P-costing card per shuffle (barring stuff like Stonemason).

So you would only be able to activate the event costing P once every shuffle.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 08:10:39 am »
+3

It came to me that treasures costing $4 could also be events costing $P with +1 Buy.

Is it a common notion that $P is equivalent to $4? I mean a potion *costs* $4, but then a Gold costs $6.

I think you misunderstand what NoMoreFun is saying. He doesn't say "$P is worth $4". He says "Hey, instead of adding Talisman to a board, we could just as well include this Event:

Talismania - Event $P
+1 buy
+1$
This turn, when you buy a card costing $4 or less that is not a Victory card, gain a copy of it.

Thus Potion acts as a proxy Talisman, which works because both cost $4. Of course the above mentioned Event works differently from Talisman in some ways.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:11:59 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 08:16:48 am »

Lapis Philosophorum isn't stronger than Treasure Map if it's the only Potion-cost thing on the board.
As you do not have to spend an action in order to convert the 2 Potions into 4 Gold it is.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 08:34:00 am »

I think you misunderstand what NoMoreFun is saying. He doesn't say "$P is worth $4". He says "Hey, instead of adding Talisman to a board, we could just as well include this Event:

Talismania - Event $P
+1 buy
+1$
This turn, when you buy a card costing $4 or less that is not a Victory card, gain a copy of it.

Thus Potion acts as a proxy Talisman, which works because both cost $4. Of course the above mentioned Event works differently from Talisman in some ways.
Oh I see, you buy a Potion and use it as a Quarry/Talisman by way of the event.

This means no Black Market shenanigans.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 09:06:57 am »

Talismania - Event $P
+1 buy
+1$

Oh I see, you buy a Potion and use it as a Quarry/Talisman by way of the event.

This means no Black Market shenanigans.

Joining in shouting "I see".
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 09:19:12 am »

How about this?
Multiply
cost P
+1 Buy
In this turn, when you buy a card costing up to $6, gain a copy of that card.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 09:28:17 am »

There are subtle differences but until another card is developed that gives +$P, buying an event costing $P which gives +buy is equivalent to playing a $4 treasure with that event's effect.

Non terminals that revolve around gaining, trashing, attacking, deck inspection and +buy could fit in this design space. +$ could work as long as care is taken to avoid making potion strictly better than Silver in games with that event (although perhaps a future expansion will question the orthodoxy that $4 cards must not be strictly better than Silver).

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:15 am »
+1

What if it only trashed one of your potions. Then it wouldn't be better than treasure map because one of the potions would stay as a dead card for you

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:14:30 pm »

Terminal draw makes it easier to line up the two potions. I can't remember the last time I activated a Treasure Map then drew but that is a fair point.

Hm, fair point on terminal draw!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 09:27:03 pm »

I will just mention this Potion event i did quite a while ago:

Research, P
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Name a card. When you discard copies of that card from play this turn, you may put them on top of your deck.

It basically makes any card Alchemist and has been nice in playtesting. The "Once per turn" is because without it, "Gold, Gold, Gold, Potion, Potion" allows you to buy a Province each turn - a fact some clever forumite pointed out.

Edit: It actually feels as if Potion was another card with this - pretty much what NoMoreFun was saying.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:33:58 pm by Asper »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 09:29:37 pm »

It more or less makes Potion a non-terminal yet non-cantrip version of Scheme which topdecks all copies of a card instead of just one card.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 09:40:40 pm »

It more or less makes Potion a non-terminal yet non-cantrip version of Scheme which topdecks all copies of a card instead of just one card.

Yes. They work for very different decks, though.

Plus: Can't be drawn dead, topdecks multiple cards
Negative: Costs more, can only topdeck one kind of card, gives no +Card

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 04:22:13 am »
+1

Research, P
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Name a card. When you discard copies of that card from play this turn, you may put them on top of your deck.

I find it funny that Lab+Research is basically the same as an Alchemist stack.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:49 am »
+2

A few ideas (some I've posted before)

Magic Amulet
Event - $P
+1 Buy, +$1
Choose two, each other player may do the option you didn't choose: Gain a Silver; trash a card from your hand; +1 card at the end of this turn

Graduate
Event - $P
+1 Buy
Trash a card you have in play. Gain an Action card costing up to $1 more than it on your deck.

Ritual
Event - $P
+2 Buys
+$1
When you buy a card this turn, you may trash a card from your hand

Transfigure
Event - $P
+1 buy
Place your Potion token on the supply pile of an Action costing up to $5
(You may play Potion during your Action phase as if it were a copy of that card. Potion is that card until it leaves play)

Ghost Hunt
Event - $1P
+1 Buy
+2 Cards
You may return any number of cards to your deck
Once per turn: Gain a card with a cost in $ to the number of cards you have in your hand. Trash a Potion from play if it's a Victory card.

Unicorn
Event - $2P
+1 Buy
Draw 3 extra cards for your next hand

Cocktail
Event - $PP
+2 Buys
+$6

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 05:09:05 am »

As Cocktail basically makes Potion a Gold+ if you connect two of them, it seems a bit unrewarding to me. I'm not as sure here, as the first comparison i can think of is Treasure Map, which only works once and is terminal, but gives a much more effectful reward. Horse Trader also comes to mind, and again has a few disadvantages over Potion (discarding, terminal), but also is much more flexible and has a Reaction.

Graduate seems cool and is easy to get. It's probably the one that works best as a Potion event because it doesn't do too many different things. Unicorn also is pretty easy - but isn't it a bit weak compared to Expedition, even with the +Buy?

I also like the idea behind Transfigure, although there i actually feel it would work better as an Action card. Maybe it's a bit too strong to be able to buy any $5 for just $4 by making the first one (non-terminally) dead. Consider Feast as a comparison, although of course even Feast has an advantage being able to gain VP cards.

While i think that Magic Amulet and Ghost Hunt are cool, i think they do a bit more complex than i would expect from an Event. Ritual is kind of on the edge here for me.

Research, P
+1 Buy

I find it funny that Lab+Research is basically the same as an Alchemist stack.

That's the joke ;)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.