Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New 3DS XL Question  (Read 3906 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
New 3DS XL Question
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:50:23 pm »

So.
Lately, I've been thinking pretty heavily about picking up a new 3DS XL. However, after doing some research, I've come across the widespread problem of inconsistency in the displays. It seems that it's virtually random whether you get one with dual TNs or a top IPS display and bottom TN (or other more rare combinations of the two I don't care about as much). Some people play down the difference, but now that I know this exists--and after seeing videos like this or posts like this one it has me kind of concerned. I really don't want to play the lottery and deal with buying and returning units that are dual TNs. However, some people say that this issue is way overblown and you really can't tell the different unless you have IPS and TN screens side by side.
So basically, I guess I'm just wondering what peoples' experiences have been if you own a new 3DS XL. Maybe this isn't as much of an issue as I think it is. I mean, it's not like the 3DS's display is going to be exceptional regardless--and apparently all previous generations have had the TN displays, but I just know it's going to bug me if I get one with dual TNs now that I know about this...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 04:50:52 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: New 3DS XL Question (possible OCD warning to existing owners)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:27:59 pm »

If this is something stupid to be worried about, I'm happy to hear that too!

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: New 3DS XL Question
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:19:14 pm »

Ok. I swear this is my last bump  :'(

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:39 pm »
+1

Ill post something here to cheer you up, but I have exactly zero to add on the subject you want to discuss. Your welcome

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 11:09:21 pm »
+1

Wow, I thought specs were supposed to be consistent on devices like this.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 11:41:46 pm »

Ill post something here to cheer you up, but I have exactly zero to add on the subject you want to discuss. Your welcome
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. You have my gratitude.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:29:12 am by Ichimaru Gin »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:55:28 pm »

Wow, I thought specs were supposed to be consistent on devices like this.
Yeah it really boggles my mind that a company as big as Nintendo would let something like this happen without correcting it. Unfortunately, it seems this problem has existed since the first production run (at least for non-Japanese units I believe) and has never been officially acknowledged by them.

Apparently the TN screen also has a pretty big impact on the usability of the improved 3D as well, which is unfortunate. r/3DS has actually banned discussion of this topic because they decided it was going nowhere  :-\. They actually created an entire subreddit devoted to this topic as a result, but it's pretty empty. Apparently most of the community that knows about this issue have decided to downplay it, but it bothers people when they pay the same as everyone else and have a fair chance of receiving an inferior product.
There's a ton of speculation about different styles, retailers, production runs, and even how the units are packaged for any indication of whether those affect the likelihood of getting an IPS one, but it seems there is no real supporting data for any of it.

It's kinda bumming me out because I don't really want to buy one if it'll just be a gamble. Some people have had luck with certain retailers allowing them to examine units in the stores to try and find an IPS one--but that seems to be a pretty hit and miss thing. I don't want to mess with buying and returning a bunch of units either... I mean, maybe I'm too concerned about this, but I feel like the whole situation is pretty weird. Some people have reported getting dual IPS displays--and also TN top and IPS bottom (often considered the worst).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:13:09 am »
+1

It's bumming me out too now.  I was thinking of getting a new 3DS when Pokemon Sun/Moon came out, since my current 3DS has a right shoulder button that is not so responsive.  What's the impact of the different screens?  I might not ever play anything other than Pokemon on it, so maybe it won't matter so much to me. :P

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 01:14:17 am »

It's bumming me out too now.  I was thinking of getting a new 3DS when Pokemon Sun/Moon came out, since my current 3DS has a right shoulder button that is not so responsive.  What's the impact of the different screens?  I might not ever play anything other than Pokemon on it, so maybe it won't matter so much to me. :P
Well, the major things I've seen are:

-TN screens have a significantly reduced viewing angle. They kind of white out when viewed at more extreme angles. From what I've heard the 3D on the new 3DS's is significantly improved over the original ones. Apparently TN screen mostly eliminates that advantage and the overexposure is amplified when 3D is turned on. (This is kind of the big one for me).

-TN screens don't really produce true blacks, so their blacks are more grey/green

-TN screens are apparently cheaper to manufacture

-TN screens supposedly have slightly improved response times over IPS, but this information is likely outdated I think. From what I read, people actually report a slower response time on their TN screens for 3DS

-TN screens have more of a yellowish or warm tinge

-On a broader scale, it seems that the screens on the new 3DS XL are generally pretty inconsistently calibrated regardless of screen type. So the screen could vary quite a bit in quality or tinge even if it's the same type. Some people report IPS screens having more "crushing" blacks that they dislike--while TNs seem to run too bright. Some people also report scanlines on the IPS displays (I don't know the exact technical reason behind it, but they mentioned something about voltage affecting it).

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:16 am »
+1

What's a 3DS XL?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 01:21:35 am »

What's a 3DS XL?

One of these.
Or in other terms, it's like a 2nd generation 3DS that's bigger than the standard model, has the c-stick and some improved hardware.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 01:40:54 am »
+1

It looks cool. I'd buy it.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 01:46:13 am »

Yeah. I was pretty much ready to buy one until I heard about the screen controversy  :(
I've never owned a Nintendo system of any kind, so I was pretty excited to start playing all of the amazing Nintendo exclusive titles I've been reading about.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 02:10:02 am »
+1

Yeah. I was pretty much ready to buy one until I heard about the screen controversy  :(
I've never owned a Nintendo system of any kind, so I was pretty excited to start playing all of the amazing Nintendo exclusive titles I've been reading about.
Oh hey I'm in your signature too. Cool.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 07:56:00 am »

I think most people don't know or care because they bought exactly one of these consoles and it's fine for them.

What can I really tell you without being an expert other than "I'm pretty happy with my new 3DS"?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 09:37:19 am »

You could try to figure out which version you have!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 09:46:48 am »

I have no idea which type of screens I have, but the system has been working great for me. So I'll assume I have the better type.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 10:08:34 am »

I would have bought one if Nintendo had joined the present and actually added a second control stick. At least the WiiU has one; maybe the NX will too. Screen quality has been great for me on the old 3DSXL, but I know nothing about the N3ds.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 10:11:16 am »

I would have bought one if Nintendo had joined the present and actually added a second control stick. At least the WiiU has one; maybe the NX will too. Screen quality has been great for me on the old 3DSXL, but I know nothing about the N3ds.

It has a second joystick, though? It is more similar to a TrackPoint(TM) laptop pointing device than a joystick, but it does seem to support analog control. It also has double shoulder buttons, making the control layout identical to the Wii U

bug me on discord

they/them

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:49 am »

It has a second joystick, though? It is more similar to a TrackPoint(TM) laptop pointing device than a joystick, but it does seem to support analog control. It also has double shoulder buttons, making the control layout identical to the Wii U

I find those little nub things really finicky and so inferior to a second control stick for gaming that I wouldn't even give them consideration. This is one area where the PSVita frankly has the 3DS beat. It has two control sticks, and surprise, games control like they do on a PS3. (Granted, the back touch screen creates a whole host of problems but that's unrelated)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:11:54 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2016, 01:15:04 pm »

Have you played a game with it, or is this experience based on using laptops and the like? It's not perfect but it works well enough for Smash or whatever actually supports it.

bug me on discord

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.