Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trolls: A Study  (Read 6182 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Trolls: A Study
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:52:23 pm »
+6

Have you ever ran into a person who played incredibly slow on Dominion Online? Like, really slow? Like, so incredibly slow that they play a Copper every 3-4 minutes to avoid the time-out? I understand your pain, and guess what? I have a solution for you! I have tips and tricks to combat these villainous lowlifers into making them stop. So, are you ready? Here are some helpful tips and tricks on the Troll, and how to combat them.

1. Understand the troll

Understand why he is doing this. Understand the motivations. Understand what he is seeking. A troll generally seeks flippant reactions and anger.

2. Do not give Trolls what they want

Don't give them flippant reactions and anger. Instead, reply calmly. Use correct grammar, to look even more serious about your intentions.

I present an example.

I noticed I ran into a slowroller. I was furious. However, I decided to not let my anger show. Instead, I waited him out, and then gave a direct reply to his insolent play. This is what happened.

I waited for awhile, doing other things while waiting for him to finish his turn. He ended up giving up, and basically sucking up and buddying with me. Do not insult the troll.

The conversation continued.

It helps to not tell the troll that what they are doing is wrong. They know this already. Saying things like that will only make them do harm to you further.

And there you have it. He ended up beating me, but he was civil to the end. I even extended another game to him, but he declined. While I was hoping to beat him and access that sweet juicy Ratings Piņata, I still had fun at the end. And that's all you have to do, really. Just have fun. Don't take trolls seriously. And if all else fails, slowroll them back until they resign and give up. It's about principle. Go do something fun while you wait. Eat ice cream. Make out with your significant other if they're not already repulsed by your constant Dominion playing. Go to Mount Rushmore. The possibilities are endless!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:53:38 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls: A Study
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 12:56:54 pm »
+16

This study needs a higher sample size.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36:22 pm »
+3

the problem is that none of this works when you have to leave for work or some other commitment

sometimes i just wanna get one game in before i have to get ready, and all too often that happens to be against an asshole who does this when i have no way to fight it.  they can't hold that L like an adult so i end up having to take it instead because MAKING FUN IS GOOD AT DESIGN YALL

fuck, i can't wait for 2017..............

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:23:41 pm »
+2

the problem is that none of this works when you have to leave for work or some other commitment

sometimes i just wanna get one game in before i have to get ready, and all too often that happens to be against an asshole who does this when i have no way to fight it.  they can't hold that L like an adult so i end up having to take it instead because MAKING FUN IS GOOD AT DESIGN YALL

Who says you can't play at work?

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:31 am »
+3

Who says you can't play at work?
The giant spangly full-screen animations.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 05:40:01 am »
+1

I guess digital smelling is finally taking off?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 08:21:41 pm »
+1

A slight variation with a very slow player that worked for me is below.  She quit prior to her first move, and didn't accept my request for a rematch.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:26:12 pm by NolanA »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

Not for me, I just leave marks on my monitor.

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:16:10 am »

All this doesn't work, when they are not chatting with you, though.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:12 am »

So this was a scratch-and-sniff joke.  Like those stickers from the 90s.  The joke being that I keep trying to scratch my monitor to get the smell, so I keep leaving scratch marks on the screen.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:22 am »

All this doesn't work, when they are not chatting with you, though.

It very well can. If they don't reply, to quote Kahn, "Let them eat static." Issue the ultimatum, and then say no more unless they say anything. Continue doing what they do. If they slow-play, you slow-play them back. Go read a book or something. And then afterwards, report the person to MF.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 10:22:55 am »
+5

Also,

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:26 am »

Also,

I love the part where they tell you to not get angry over trolls. So funny!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 10:39:36 am »

So this was a scratch-and-sniff joke.  Like those stickers from the 90s.  The joke being that I keep trying to scratch my monitor to get the smell, so I keep leaving scratch marks on the screen.

This joke is funny because scratch-n-sniff stickers predate the 90's by by at least 2 decades.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:47:40 am »

This joke is funny because scratch-n-sniff stickers predate the 90's by by at least 2 decades.

Which also predates my childhood memories by a similar time frame; I remember them from early 90s, maybe late 80s.  They were at least around then.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:58:47 am »

Which also predates my childhood memories by a similar time frame; I remember them from early 90s, maybe late 80s.  They were at least around then.

This joke is funny because predate has two meanings and scratch-and-sniff stickers preying upon childhood memories is a humorous visual image.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jasoba

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 01:19:13 pm »
+1

TIL: Dont feed the trolls.

While op is right, hes also kinda obvious...

Too bad this game sucks my RAM horrible (when I alt + tab my pc lags like hell). I could minimize DOTA2, CS:GO and CIV5 at the same time and still have a better performance than "doing other stuff" with dominion in my task bar.

My solution: No conversation, maybe give em a 1 liner like: "eventually you will give up". Then I go to my other laptop...
Its hard for them to avoid the abandon so at least u got that...

What i didnt see and i hope i will never encounter: A slow play bot. That would be pretty efficient.
Just buys copper and plays them 5 sec pre time-out. Ends up gaining more and more copper -> 25 min turns.
Now you have to 3pile/province all by yourself.

SkyHard

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:14:26 am »

What i didnt see and i hope i will never encounter: A slow play bot. That would be pretty efficient.
Just buys copper and plays them 5 sec pre time-out. Ends up gaining more and more copper -> 25 min turns.

Sound like an evil plan  ;D ;D ;D

It happened once to me against a bot. After each card I played "Connecting to server..." and "You were away 1.x 10^9 seconds". It was really annoying!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:12 am »

Sound like an evil plan  ;D ;D ;D

It happened once to me against a bot. After each card I played "Connecting to server..." and "You were away 1.x 10^9 seconds". It was really annoying!

That's flipping brilliant.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.