Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: McGarnacle's Kingdom of the Week #2 Margrave's Tournament  (Read 2190 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
McGarnacle's Kingdom of the Week #2 Margrave's Tournament
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:32 pm »

Okay, so I will hopefully be able to make this a weekly series of posted kingdoms which we can discuss. I've personally created all of them, but there is always something new to find each time I play, so I thought I'd post this here.

Margrave's Tournament
Crossroads, Fool's Gold, Menagerie, Farming Village, Remake, Tournament, Silk Road, Hunting Party, Jester, Margrave.

What appears to be the optimal strategy?
How could I improve this kingdom?
Any redundant cards or something I should add?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
Re: McGarnacle's Kingdom of the Week #2 Margrave's Tournament
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

Remake/Silver into hunting party into province/tournament before building up a bit more

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:17:13 pm »

Remake/Silver into hunting party into province/tournament before building up a bit more

Yes, I think that is probably the optimal strategy. Margrave/FG is pretty good too, though.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »
+1

Yes, I think that is probably the optimal strategy. Margrave/FG is pretty good too, though.

Any BM strat loses as there is too much Alt-VP for the engine to grab. Crossroads helps the engine keep going through greening, and Followers gives free Estates to power up your Silk Roads while hindering the opponent. In an engine mirror, if you get Followers and Princess and your deck is in decent shape, you should win.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:37:58 pm by singletee »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 02:53:46 pm »

Is Menagerie better than Hunting Party though?  Or, I mean, easier to pick up at least -- Remake and Princess would help.  Speaking of which, could Remake Coppers (or Curses) into Menageries too with the help of Princess.

Followers is definitely skippable, and even Trusty Steed is not crucial.  I mean, I'd take these if they were free obviously, but it's not a mad dash to them like a lot of Tournament games are.  Would Followers/Estate/Silk Road/Crossroads be a thing?  Or would just a big Hunting Party engine be too fast?  Gah, so much going on!

Margrave/FG is pretty good too, though.

I don't think so.  I mean, I might pick up some FGs if they were free (Princess) and the engine was well up and running, but I just don't see that as a thing in and of itself, at all.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »

I don't think so.  I mean, I might pick up some FGs if they were free (Princess) and the engine was well up and running, but I just don't see that as a thing in and of itself, at all.

It has the advantage of being faster than the alternative. In a two-player game, opening Margrave/FG is huge.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 03:20:02 pm »

It has the advantage of being faster than the alternative. In a two-player game, opening Margrave/FG is huge.
Fg is copper first shuffle when not paired with another fg

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 03:25:00 pm »

I'm still not convinced, mainly because I want to start Remaking things asap.  Margrave is good though for the +buy, and especially good if your opponent is not going Menageries.  On 5/2 yeah it's a tough call; still think I'd go Remake/Crossroads though, or maybe even Remake/-.  Could be wrong though.

EDIT:
To clarify, my opponent's early Margrave is not incredibly devastating to me if I have Remake in hand, as I'm likely not buying something that turn anyways.  It's especially not very bad if I've already turned some Estates into Menageries.  Best case scenario the Margrave actually helps me a lot because of the cycling and Menagerie activation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:33:25 pm by Dingan »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 03:38:34 pm »

Please please please get the FDS Chrome extension so you can quickly put a picture of the Kingdom here, it'll really help facilitate discussion.

I kind of like Remake / FG as an opening either way here? Maybe Margrave / FG if you hit 5/2. Fools Gold with thinning seems like the fastest way to spike $8, and Fools' Gold later becomes pet of your engine's payload. Snag a Tournament in there if you can, or Remake Estate -> Silver -> Tournament. Margrave, Farming Village, and Hunting Party make good draw. You want probably two Margraves for the 3 Buys, the rest of the draw can be Hunting Parties. It's all very fast here and it's one of those kingdoms where you want everything right away, so what you buy when depends on a lot of things.

It's not the end of the world to buy a single FG in the first shuffle. Yes it is probably (but not always, if it's in the last 2 cards) a Copper, but you need to use some of your gains on them for quick payload / economy, why not a gain where the only other thing you could get is a shitty card like Crossroads? Silver on this board isn't the greatest.

Edit: I didn't notice Menagerie that is probably important in that it is a better Remake thing than Silver.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:41:31 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.