Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 9: Hinterlands (Results!)  (Read 16836 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 9: Hinterlands (Finalists!)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 01:13:18 am »

Why not just remove the below the line part of Wetlands?  I think that's all you'd have to do to make it a good card.

It wouldn't fit into Hinterlands as well, then. True, the set has 3 VP cards, two of which have fixed points, but none of those is an action. I guess it does interact with VP cards, though. Funny, i never noticed those themes as much before.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2016, 09:59:12 am »

I would only have to ask Mith on whether card tweaks could be made before having a card be the winner. I would probably guess no, but it's worth a shot.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

mith

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 05:51:58 pm »

Tweaks can be made to cards after a winner is chosen (so you could vote with the understanding that a tweak needs to be made). Making a tweak during voting (especially finalist voting - I've made a couple exceptions very early in preliminary voting, either because the designer made a mistake or I did) wouldn't be allowed - I'd have to ask everyone who voted so far whether they want to change their votes.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 05:52:51 pm »

Voting for finalists will remain open until Friday (at least). Crazy at work right now, so I'm behind on sending reminders and such.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 12:31:44 pm »

I care very little for any, so I am just not voting, I guess.

mith

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 01:11:11 pm »
+4

Results:

Tinker (King Leon) - 57
Mountain Dwellers (markusin) - 51
Wetlands (Seprix) - 48.5
Pretty Penny (spiralstaircase) - 48
Homing Pigeons (markusin) - 31.5

Congrats, King Leon!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Treasure Chest Design Contest - Part 9: Hinterlands (Results!)
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 01:45:46 pm »
+2

I got very close. If it was just a bit more balanced, it could have won.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »

Oops, I don't think I voted.  I could have given Mountain Dwellers the win.  Oh well...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 07:59:14 pm »

Oops, I don't think I voted.  I could have given Mountain Dwellers the win.  Oh well...
I still don't understand how Mountain Dwellers got so many votes (in either contest it was in). It's a peddler that usually only works in big money decks. blah.

IMO, Troglodyte Caves was easily the better one from the previous contest.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:01:14 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2016, 12:29:53 am »

I still don't understand how Mountain Dwellers got so many votes (in either contest it was in). It's a peddler that usually only works in big money decks. blah.

It's not so much that I like Mountain Dwellers, but that I like it more than the rest.  I gave my reasoning here.  Dunno about all the other entries because I forgot to go through them earlier and it feels like the effort would be wasted when those other entries had already lost.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2016, 12:50:14 am »

It's not so much that I like Mountain Dwellers, but that I like it more than the rest.  I gave my reasoning here.  Dunno about all the other entries because I forgot to go through them earlier and it feels like the effort would be wasted when those other entries had already lost.
You mean you're looking at cards just for the point of the contest?  Fan cards are meant to be used. I'm looking for good cards to add to my list to print and play with.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 03:42:45 am »

I'm not really convinced that Mountain Dwellers "only works in Big Money decks".  3 whole treasures is not enough to constitute a big money deck.  If anything, a draw engine would help you draw enough treasure to get Mountain dwellers to work consistently.  It's also worth pointing out that the value of a peddler is proportional to the fraction of your deck you draw every turn.  Seems like the optimal use of Mountain dwellers is a draw engine with ~4 treasures in it.

In any case, Tinker is also a fine entry.  While judging cards, I thought the on-buy ability was too strong, but now I'm not so sure.  You don't want to buy too many of these, because they only trash copper.  Congrats to King Leon!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2016, 04:00:46 am »

You mean you're looking at cards just for the point of the contest?  Fan cards are meant to be used. I'm looking for good cards to add to my list to print and play with.

I don't have a group that plays Dominion regularly.  We don't meet for games too often as it is, and when we do we play other things (I beat them too soundly in Dominion, even when I mess around).

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2016, 06:13:47 am »

I'm not really convinced that Mountain Dwellers "only works in Big Money decks".  3 whole treasures is not enough to constitute a big money deck.  If anything, a draw engine would help you draw enough treasure to get Mountain dwellers to work consistently.  It's also worth pointing out that the value of a peddler is proportional to the fraction of your deck you draw every turn.  Seems like the optimal use of Mountain dwellers is a draw engine with ~4 treasures in it.
I agree. Mountain Dweller is an Action card which forces you to play a mixed strategy, i.e. to use some Treasures in your deck instead of just relying on the card itself and potentially other Action cards that provide coins.

One could argue that a conditional Peddler with an on-buy Treasure-in-play-Expand is too bland but in my opinion it is an excellent card precisely because it forces you to balance the Treasure density in your deck well.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.