Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: settlers and settler's village  (Read 4251 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: settlers and settler's village
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:05:18 pm »
+3

we can't bustle any harder!

bustling village can be anywhere from village-village to bazaar-village-lab. well, not anywhere. there is actually just the one thing that it can be that is placed between those two endpoints. but it seems like a good deal in spite of that! well, not necessarily in spite of it.
  anyway.
  these cards have some of that same problem that countation house has: there needs to be stuff in your discard for it to work, and so, often it doesn't. but maybe i just lied! i mean, even if it doesn't pick up a settlers, bustling village still does half of the thing that its title says that it does, times 2! so it can't be that bad. but it has a much lower ceiling than counting house, also! counting house can get you up to, what, 70-something coppers? but bustling village can only get you one. and also two more cards and three more actions. it is perhaps a fixèd counting house, thus.

-is it that good? in practice, what has been your average number of resolutions of each bustling village play? (i.e. 0 with no settlers, 1 with settlers but no copper, 2 for both)
-how badly is the pairing inhibited by the fact that bv only starts to show up around when your coppers start leaving?
-is that a child walking a swan on a leash down there in the bv art
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
Re: empires: settlers and settler's village
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »
+4

People should note that these two cards are slightly lighter than the rest and as such have a tendency to end up near the top of your deck while shuffling.

No, it's not just you.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:52:27 pm »
+4

Settlers axiom: There is an 100% chance your Settlers will be in your hand when your discard pile is empty.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »
+4

Settlers axiom: There is an 100% chance your Settlers will be in your hand when your discard pile is empty.
the trick is to also have an oasis. and also an estate but discard the copper anyway
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:29:43 am »
+1

+1 card +3 actions for $5 is pretty good. There are only 5 copies, but even 2 copies can sustain an engine fairly well. The fact that you could conditionally turn Bustling Village into +$1 +2 cards +3 actions (extra card from playing a fetched Settler and grabbing a Copper from your discard) is superb. It's almost a Super City, but Bustling Village trades the buy for another action.

There aren't a whole lot of cards that provide +3 actions on their own. There's Crossroads, but you only get the +3 actions the first time you play it. There's Fishing Village, but you get the 3rd bonus action at the start of your next turn (which you might prefer to keep a steady flow of actions). I don't think Crossroads could sustain an engine by itself, but Fishing Village has a pretty strong reputation. In fact I think it was recorded as one of the most often bought cards on isotropic when it was still up. tl;dr stuff that lets you play a lot of actions is good.

The thing is, there are 5 Settlers in the way, and Settlers is kind of a half-good Peddler variant. You get card and an action, then you sometimes get the equivalent of +$1 if you fetch a Copper in your discard. Early game this is useful, because hey there's a pretty good chance you have Coppers. Late game you probably won't want Coppers, so Settlers are going to fetch nothing. Because of the 5 Settlers in the way, Bustling Village has sort of the same problem as City; how often do you want to be the one that buys the last card that triggers Greater Cities or Super Cities for everyone else? If you want Bustling Villages and have some way to gain cards before buying, you could use that to get the last Settler and get started on Bustling Villages yourself.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:14:32 am »
+2

Because of the 5 Settlers in the way, Bustling Village has sort of the same problem as City; how often do you want to be the one that buys the last card that triggers Greater Cities or Super Cities for everyone else? If you want Bustling Villages and have some way to gain cards before buying, you could use that to get the last Settler and get started on Bustling Villages yourself.
The difference is that Settlers costs 2 and City costs 5, so it's *much* easier to gain a Settlers in your Action phase than it is to gain a City.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 09:11:20 am »

Because of the 5 Settlers in the way, Bustling Village has sort of the same problem as City; how often do you want to be the one that buys the last card that triggers Greater Cities or Super Cities for everyone else? If you want Bustling Villages and have some way to gain cards before buying, you could use that to get the last Settler and get started on Bustling Villages yourself.
The difference is that Settlers costs 2 and City costs 5, so it's *much* easier to gain a Settlers in your Action phase than it is to gain a City.

You also don't even have to gain it in your action phase. You can just have $7 and 2 Buy. And your opponent can't reap the benefits of Bustling Village until they buy one, whereas City's benefit for them starts immediately since it is already in their deck. I don't think the comparison to City is very apt.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:47:21 am »
+3

People should note that these two cards are slightly lighter than the rest and as such have a tendency to end up near the top of your deck while shuffling.

No, it's not just you.

Actually, in mixtures of solids (such as a tin of mixed nuts), heavier items will end up on top. Science is not quite sure why yet.

EDIT: Never mind, it actually is pretty well understood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_convection
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:49:10 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 11:56:18 am »

Fair enough, my comparison to Cities might not have enough similarities to be meaningful :) All the same, I am loathe to take the last Settler off and expose Bustling Village to other players if I can't do much more beyond that, and other players seem equally reserved usually.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:53:12 pm by FishingVillage »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 06:45:24 pm »

No, it's not just you.

Actually, in mixtures of solids (such as a tin of mixed nuts), heavier items will end up on top. Science is not quite sure why yet.

EDIT: Never mind, it actually is pretty well understood: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_convection

"Lighter", not "smaller". I'm pretty sure denser objects still trend toward the bottom.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:58:36 pm »
+12

"Lighter", not "smaller". I'm pretty sure denser objects still trend toward the bottom.

Well, at least now we know why they're called "settlers."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.