Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing a card + Throne Room  (Read 1879 times)

Heikes Zweiter

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Playing a card + Throne Room
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:55:38 am »

In the combination of the general rule / definition
Quote from: ACTION PHASE
To play an Action, the player takes an Action card from his hand and lays it faceup in his play area. ...

with the FAQ
Quote from: Throne Room
You pick another Action card in your hand, play it, and play it again.

one can deduct, that the picked card return to hand to get played the second time.

I am pretty sure somewhere exists a statement by Donald, that a card played by Throne Room and its variants does not return to hand, but i can not find it in the forum nor the wiki. Since also the rules or the FAQs do not explicitly say either, i seek confirmation, which is correct.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Playing a card + Throne Room
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:59:32 am »
+2

In the combination of the general rule / definition
Quote from: ACTION PHASE
To play an Action, the player takes an Action card from his hand and lays it faceup in his play area. ...

with the FAQ
Quote from: Throne Room
You pick another Action card in your hand, play it, and play it again.

one can deduct, that the picked card return to hand to get played the second time.

I am pretty sure somewhere exists a statement by Donald, that a card played by Throne Room and its variants does not return to hand, but i can not find it in the forum nor the wiki. Since also the rules or the FAQs do not explicitly say either, i seek confirmation, which is correct.
The card doesn't go back to your hand. "Play a card" doesn't carry with it "put it in your hand first."

Heikes Zweiter

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

The card doesn't go back to your hand. "Play a card" doesn't carry with it "put it in your hand first."
What i thought. Thanks Donald.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:28:56 pm »

Play = put in your play area and follow its instructions.  That's usually from your hand, but Throne Room et al play from the play area (so no moving), and Venture and Herald and Golem play from your revealing area.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:27 pm »
+1

Dominion Purists only play things from hand.  Dominion jumped the shark when it allowed you to play things from other locations.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 03:25:08 pm »
+2

Play = put in your play area and follow its instructions.  That's usually from your hand, but Throne Room et al play from the play area (so no moving), and Venture and Herald and Golem play from your revealing area.

It's also important to note that you can play a card (and follow its instructions) even when you're unable to put it in your play area. You can for instance play Throne Room + Feast, gaining two cards from Feast even though Feast is in the trash when it's played the second time.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 03:39:23 pm »

It's also important to note that you can play a card (and follow its instructions) even when you're unable to put it in your play area. You can for instance play Throne Room + Feast, gaining two cards from Feast even though Feast is in the trash when it's played the second time.

Because when Throne Room plays Feast for the second time, it expects it to be in play; since it's not, it has "lost track" of Feast and cannot move it.  Feast still follows its instructions, though!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.