Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: tempires: emple  (Read 15281 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
tempires: emple
« on: July 20, 2016, 06:25:30 pm »
+3

yeah, it's all here. what are you doing with all this garbage anyway?

the perhaps inadvertent commentary this makes about temples in general is a bit odd: there's some initial benefit that you pick them up for, and you just kinda keep getting them and using them, often to trash the one you got before it because it seemed cool. but yeah, it's sorta like a wild hunt that everyone has access to. and nobody really wants to have access to it. we were trying to play dominion, not temple: the gathering.

-how often is the third card that you trash not a temple?
-should this be called something other than temple? like, tidal wave made out of garbage that follows you everywhere
-is it a good card?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: tempires: emple
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 06:42:49 pm »

My only experience with this is "Should have just gotten a Temple instead of both that and Catapults".

I think it's probably an okay early game trasher. Obviously slower and swinger than saw Steward but the extra on-play points make a difference. Nice for the second player.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:51:49 pm »
+1

It's a decent trasher in the early game. Estate Copper hands are pretty easy to get on the second and third shuffle. At some point, you decide 3-6 VP for $4 is worth it and you get another. Then you trash one with another and repeat this a few times, and then you break a tie with your Temple points and go "oh that was kind of distracting but I guess it ended up mattering"
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:15:13 am »
+16

Okay, this has been annoying me since the Empires Let's Discuss started.

Dude.  You have not just one but two shift keys on your keyboard.  One on each side even, conveniently placed such that one hand's little finger can hold it down while the other hand types a letter.  Without capitalization, English can be incredibly difficult to read.  You are not e. e. cummings*, and this isn't poetry.  Please start using your shift keys.

*I once wrote this on a [college] student's paper.  It made me sad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:22:04 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:21 am »
+5

teMpIreS: eMPlE

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »
+1

I'm a fan of all lowercase.  It's the internet, not a professional paper.  You can use shorthand, and it's not a big deal.

Also Temple seems pretty good but the whole gathering part of it is weird.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »
+9

Please start using your shift keys.

Interestingly, he apparently has been doing so. The original post does contain colons and question marks, which cannot be typed on a normal keyboard layout without hitting the shift key.

It makes me wonder if he's making a statement about our evolving language and its use on-line. I've known people who actively rebel against the tyranny of people insisting on on-line capitalization.

I have to admit, I can be a bit of a language pedant, but I'm starting to pick my battles based on whether the usage variant creates ambiguity by leaving out essential information or warping the meaning. If a variant is easily understood or does something to improve clarity, perhaps it's worth considering.

For example, I approve of "they" and "their" used as singular in sentences such as "A doctor should treat their patients with respect." The "his or her" construction is rather tortured, and if the gender-neutral second-person pronoun "you" can be used for both singular and plural, why not the third-person pronoun? It's arbitrary. And perhaps I bristle when I hear "different than" instead of "different from" but on reflection, I don't know that it matters; the meaning is still clear. When a person uses the term "fail" to mean "failure" there is no doubt about the meaning, so I can accept that. Even text-speak like literally saying "LOL!" (pronounced "loal") instead of "Ha!" when you hear something that you wish to say that you find funny, but not quite funny enough for spontaneous laughter, makes perfect sense. (I have also been known to exclaim "yumyahsel!" at the Dominion table in response to complaints about hand contents when a player has clearly blundered in their trashing/buying decisions. I assume that's roughly the correct pronunciation.)

That said, some things still grate. Many people use the word "random" to describe things that are not probabilistic (or aimless) in any way, shape or form. (No dice were rolled, no cards were shuffled. Maybe it's arbitrary. Maybe it's mysterious. Maybe it's a non-sequitur. Maybe it's senseless. Maybe you just don't understand it. That doesn't make it random.) I have heard text-speak of "bee-tee-double-you" instead of "by the way" which may be shorter when typed, but is longer when spoken. And I will never be able to get over people saying "could care less" when they mean "couldn't care less."

So the question remains: Is capitalization truly important? There is no doubt that it addresses ambiguity when used for acronyms and proper nouns to differentiate words such as "bob" and "Bob." I would also submit that it also reduces ambiguity and improves clarity when used at the beginning of a sentence. Any time a punctuation mark appears, there is a possibility that it represents something other than the end of a sentence (Co., Inc., etc.) A capital letter following a punctuation indicates a new sentence; a lower-case letter does not. Whether to capitalize after a colon is another place where this issue is relevant: You should only capitalize if what follows the colon is a complete sentence. You don't capitalize a list: apples, bananas, and oranges. (Is everyone fine with the Oxford comma?)

My vote is to keep capitalization.

Of course, knowing this crowd, there will probably be edge-cases posted where capitalization creates ambiguity (such as a word at the beginning of a sentence that could be either a regular noun or proper noun, where the reason for capitalization is no longer apparent.)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:24 pm »
+28

Guys guys, the discussion on Capital hasn't started yet. :P
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:59:53 pm »
+1

I'm a fan of all lowercase.  It's the internet, not a professional paper.  You can use shorthand, and it's not a big deal.

I love that you capitalized your message correctly.

Perhaps capitalization can be ignored for disposable messages, but these are discussion-starter articles intended to be read by large numbers of people and should perhaps be held to a higher standard.

Also Temple seems pretty good but the whole gathering part of it is weird.

It is definitely weird, but it starts to make sense when you've played it for a while. Buying a Temple you don't need is like many other Alt+VP cards, except that it's slightly more useful than a completely dead green card. Temples aren't a build-around Alt+VP like Gardens or Silk Road, but they're often a heck of a lot better than Duchies, and we all buy those when we have to.

The fact that it's a conditional trash-two is better than I expected. Estate/Copper early, Copper mid, Temple/Copper late. And the +1 VP adds up. I love that it's trash 1-3, not "up to 3" so Temple-spam-engine for VP isn't a strategy. It doesn't happen often with Monument, but it's theoretically possible, and no one wants to invoke the starvation win condition rule.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 02:04:28 pm »
+2

My position is: if somebody can't be bothered to take the time to write correctly, then I don't feel a pressing need to read the things they write. Eschewing capitalization and/or punctuation just automatically makes you seem less educated/intelligent.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 02:06:13 pm »

How much better is this with Shelters?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:24:52 pm »

fwiw i prefer no caps

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:07 pm »
+17

FWIW I PREFER ONLY CAPS IN COMICS SANS FONT

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »

That said, some things still grate. Many people use the word "random" to describe things that are not probabilistic (or aimless) in any way, shape or form. (No dice were rolled, no cards were shuffled. Maybe it's arbitrary. Maybe it's mysterious. Maybe it's a non-sequitur. Maybe it's senseless. Maybe you just don't understand it. That doesn't make it random.) I have heard text-speak of "bee-tee-double-you" instead of "by the way" which may be shorter when typed, but is longer when spoken. And I will never be able to get over people saying "could care less" when they mean "couldn't care less."

Oh yeah, that reminds me how "double-you double-you double-you" is longer to say than "world wide web".

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 02:29:32 pm »
+1

How much better is this with Shelters?

Even without Shelters, it's a reasonable trasher. I've played 4 irl games with it and most times you trash two cards at first which is comparable to steward. It does not have the flexibility of steward but gaining VP ever time you trash is very nice.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
+1

Oh yeah, that reminds me how "double-you double-you double-you" is longer to say than "world wide web".

Though, generally when you say 'double-you double-you double-you', you are actually spelling out the literal letters 'www' as in presenting a URL verbatim. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:08 pm »
+5

My position is: if somebody can't be bothered to take the time to write correctly, then I don't feel a pressing need to read the things they write. Eschewing capitalization and/or punctuation just automatically makes you seem less educated/intelligent.
The different feel that not capitalizing gives you is something I sometimes specifically want. Just exactly along those lines, except, as a reason to do it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 02:45:42 pm »
+1

You are not e. e. cummings

I think shadd IS e e cummings.

carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
                                            i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

That's 100% schadd!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:24 pm »

Temple is amazing!  The trashing is about as strong as Steward, and if you're the next player to gain a Temple, you get 2 VP per play.  2 VP is super good.  There have been a couple times where I very nearly made a Temple golden deck, and I'm convinced that it would have been viable if I had just a little more support.  Yeah, it turns out you need +buys in a temple golden deck...

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »
+7

Temple is not better in games with Shelters, because my experimental results show that it is always drawn with 4 Coppers on the first shuffle.

#BadLuckBrian

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 03:23:41 pm »
+5

Just want to point out that it might not be a good idea to incorrectly capitalize E. E. Cummings' name when you're being pedantic about capitalization.

http://faculty.gvsu.edu/websterm/cummings/caps.htm

;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 03:25:05 pm by tripwire »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 03:57:16 pm »

Just want to point out that it might not be a good idea to incorrectly capitalize E. E. Cummings' name when you're being pedantic about capitalization.

http://faculty.gvsu.edu/websterm/cummings/caps.htm

;)

I learned something today.  Obviously this was perpetuated even by my high school English teachers.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
+3

Without capitalization, English can be incredibly difficult to read.
why should it be easy to read?

Interestingly, he apparently has been doing so. The original post does contain colons and question marks, which cannot be typed on a normal keyboard layout without hitting the shift key.
hold alt and press 6-3 on your numpad

It makes me wonder if he's making a statement about our evolving language and its use on-line. I've known people who actively rebel against the tyranny of people insisting on on-line capitalization.
i would describe it as less of a statement and more of a grunting session

Many people use the word "random" to describe things that are not probabilistic (or aimless) in any way, shape or form. (No dice were rolled, no cards were shuffled. Maybe it's arbitrary. Maybe it's mysterious. Maybe it's a non-sequitur. Maybe it's senseless. Maybe you just don't understand it. That doesn't make it random.)

The different feel that not capitalizing gives you is something I sometimes specifically want. Just exactly along those lines, except, as a reason to do it.
my phone automatically capitalizes the beginning of each sentence so i have to press the shift key to unshift it each time

I think shadd IS e e cummings.
carry your fart with me(i carry it in
my Fart)
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »

hold alt and press 6-3 on your numpad

зг

Why did it come up as... Oh yeah, I'm a damned Mac user.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 06:46:02 pm »
+20

shadd IS e e cummings.

Gathering

it's all here. what are you doing with all this
anyway?
perhaps you keep them
for her

but
nobody
is a temple
for everyone
that follows
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.