Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: patrician and his startup  (Read 4139 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: patrician and his startup
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »
+3

ahh there's two of them! lmao!

these two interact implicitly, but pretty intuitively. oh, patrician is a split pile huh? i bet the bottom one costs.. yup. and for emporium's thing, well, there will always be the 5 patricians at least. they don't immediately look that impressive. patrician looks better than vagrant but vagrant was never really that great to begin with, and emporium looks better (enabled) than duchy, but (reread the comparison to vagrant and modify it in the intuitive way).
  well, in practice, these two have treated me pretty well. there is probably some bias to patrician over e.g. vagrant because vagrant's effect is generally good but forgettable, whereas patrician can fish for the card you exactly want because that card probably costs 5 or more. but, well, getting that card is really good, and i've had it kick off a turn more than once. emporium is difficult: it's that same get-vp-but-don't-devalue-your-deck-that-much that distant lands is, but there are also surely plenty of times where $5 peddler is fine and the vp just straight-up puts you ahead of a bm player.

-how much does it hurt emporium (and also, throwback, chariot race) that they try to build while also giving you vp?
-have you encountered a situation where enabling emporium is an issue, in a sort of good stuff deck? or does it just usually mean "this card is inaccessible for a hard-bm deck, and i bet you wouldn't even want it anyway, nerd"
-how much do these cards individually improve because of the fact that the other one is always there? compared to rocks which seem to be about as good as uh rocks without catapult, these both seem very palatable without their other thing.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: empires: patrician and his startup
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:22:29 pm »
+6

I got four patricians in a game so I could get to emporium, then did this:

mail-mi has $20.
mail-mi overpays for Stonemason with $5
...mail-mi gains Emporium and +2 VP
mail-mi gains Stonemason
mail-mi overpays for Stonemason with $5
mail-mi gains Stonemason
mail-mi buys Emporium, getting +2 VP

It felt good.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:50:02 pm »
+1

The one irl game I played with this stack, I also managed to get all 5 Emporiums. The VP gain is pretty good.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 12:13:14 am »

In my experience, Emporium with VP is so good that I never regret picking them up.

The regret factor for Patrician is much higher.  Honestly, I think my group has been over-buying Patricians.  Ultimately, uncovering Emporium helps one player more than it helps the others.  So if you're not that player, why help them get to Emporium?  Let them buy their own Patricians.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 06:46:40 am »

Ultimately, uncovering Emporium helps one player more than it helps the others.  So if you're not that player, why help them get to Emporium?  Let them buy their own Patricians.

I feel like this issue exists with most split piles. There are sometimes ways to get around it (trash the last Gladiator, then buy Fortune), but I have certainly experienced this.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 07:01:01 am »

how much does it hurt emporium (and also, throwback, chariot race) that they try to build while also giving you vp?

Hurt? Surely the point is that they give an engine builder more turns to build a deck without competing for green card points?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 09:48:10 am »

how much does it hurt emporium (and also, throwback, chariot race) that they try to build while also giving you vp?

Hurt? Surely the point is that they give an engine builder more turns to build a deck without competing for green card points?
well, yes. emporium is good for all the reasons alt-vp is good. i was getting at a different thing where, like with nobles, emporium offers benefits that will invariably useless for larger portions of the game than those of other cards. as in, the peddler effect does little too nothing if you get it late, and the vp did nothing for a long time if you get it early. emporium gets around this drawback by just being particularly valuable in exchange for doing something trivial in most engines
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 10:12:14 am »

I don't know if I've played a game where I've actually activated Patrician's second card draw yet. You have to keep in mind that lots of components are $3-4 costs, and Patricians themselves are $2s. They're best bought as an afterthought add on to other buys, like almost all $2 cantrips.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 10:36:42 am »

I've had a couple games where the extra Patrician draw was reliable. On this board, my deck was thin, and more than half of it was City, Wild Hunt, or Hunting party.

I also thought I had good luck with Patrician on the Empires only suggested Kingdom that contains it, but looking back at that board, it seems not likely to draw there with Emporium and Forum being the only likely targets.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:40 am »

My opponent had pretty nice Patrician draws on the Base+Empires recommended board, altough that one is pretty much made for getting lots of 5's. I'm surprised that in both of my games  the Emporia came into play. I expected less and still expect it to be worse on future boards.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:08 am »
+1

I never noticed before that it's one continuous piece of art when ordered as Emporium-Patrician. Seems like they could have done that with all of the split piles for extra style points.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:50:07 am »
+1

I never noticed before that it's one continuous piece of art when ordered as Emporium-Patrician. Seems like they could have done that with all of the split piles for extra style points.

They did! They're not always side by side like these but split pile images are cropped from the same piece of art.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:43 pm »

They did! They're not always side by side like these but split pile images are cropped from the same piece of art.

I actually wish Patrician and Emporium looked less similar. The exact same shade of blue in the sky makes it more difficult for me to distinguish them. The three split piles with Treasure on the bottom don't bother me because they have different border colors (and also look more different), and Settlers/Bustling Village look more distinct to me. But Patrician/Emporium sometimes throws me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.762 seconds with 20 queries.