Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: city quarter  (Read 6138 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: city quarter
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:48:40 pm »
+2

if this is only a quarter of it then we're not looking at an impressive city

this can draw you a lot of cards, and give you a two of actions. the thing that you want to do with it probably is have a bunch of cheap actions or just trash the things that aren't those. with reasonable trashing or one cheap action to get, you generally need about three to reliably draw all of your deck always, in my experience of two games. this is kinda clearly a strong card then, and it allows you to focus on the not-drawing cards you can buy.

-would you say the question of city quarter games is primarily how to enable it or is it how to make use of them once they're enabled? perhaps often you can accidentally do the first thing with the second thing
-what fun stuff happens because this is debt? have you had a bridge megaturn on turn 7?
-following that, how early do you tend to want to get it? i mean, it seems like you need actions for it to work but honestly +2 cards and +2 actions is probably fine at 8 debt
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: empires: city quarter
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:16 pm »
+17

I'm really struggling to come up with anything to say for a single card. Have you considered making threads where groups of cards are lumped together with a wacky premise? I think that would really boost the discussion level.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:11:17 pm »
+1

I've never played with it, but I think I would probably start getting them after the second shuffle.  Your deck has 3-6 Actions by that point, and you've probably trashed some of your starting cards as well.  It's extremely easy to enable (just buy lots of Action cards), so the question is probably how best to use the massive draw you're getting, as well as when the best time is to buy it.  Like most Debt cards, it's probably best to get it at the end of a shuffle so you can use it to help pay off the debt more quickly.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:17:00 pm »
+23

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:46:25 pm »

I think getting City Quarter only makes sense if there is good trashing or good sifting on the board, and even then I'd prefer good trashing. CQ is comparable to a Madman that doesn't leave your deck if you can clean it up and fill it with actions, though that's sort of best case and maybe not reasonable to consider each game.

8 debt is a pretty high cost, but it can be worked on over time and CQ can conditionally do some great things. How often are you willing to pay 8 debt for a Village? If you can't trash cards from your deck, perhaps seeing 1 other action card each time you see your CQ is about the best you can manage, but maybe that's worth it.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 08:13:52 pm »
+2

Def comparable to Scrying Pool -- likes an action-dense deck and can easily draw all of the things.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:29:36 pm »

I think getting City Quarter only makes sense if there is good trashing or good sifting on the board, and even then I'd prefer good trashing. CQ is comparable to a Madman that doesn't leave your deck if you can clean it up and fill it with actions, though that's sort of best case and maybe not reasonable to consider each game.

8 debt is a pretty high cost, but it can be worked on over time and CQ can conditionally do some great things. How often are you willing to pay 8 debt for a Village? If you can't trash cards from your deck, perhaps seeing 1 other action card each time you see your CQ is about the best you can manage, but maybe that's worth it.

I think it's much better than this.  First of all, most boards have at least some trashing.  Second, how often is Scrying Pool NOT good?  City Quarter is like a Scrying Pool with a village attached, and it stacks.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 11:08:06 pm »
+2

8 debt is not a "pretty high cost", honestly. It's hard to describe debt cost, but basically, it take two turns to buy a debt card unless it's really late, and you get the benefit of using the debt card in the second turn. Buy it right before you get your Trasher in the shuffle! That's productive.

City Quarter is among the most powerful draw cards in the game. More often than you would initially expect, it is basically a Madman that never leaves your deck. With just a little support - even weak trashing, Ironworks + a cantrip, Rats, Magpie... you can draw your deck with like three of these. And it's a Village too! All for only 8 debt! That's not a crippling amount.

I like it a little earlier than you think you want it, except in discard attack games. 2 cards 2 actions would be worth 8 debt, and this can sometimes do way more than that.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 11:28:59 pm »

I said in the preview topic that I thought this card was a lot like Scrying Pool, in that it's really dominant when you can trash down, and still a lot stronger than you'd expect even if you can't.  I haven't played any games since to dissuade me from this opinion.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:54 am »

Well, the boards I play on won't always necessarily have trashing, and I don't know how I feel about using City Quarter without the right action density in my deck. What I'm looking for is the option to have a card leave my deck each time I add an action card to my deck (not necessarily all in the same turn), and trashing that only accepts specific card type(s) stops working after awhile. Treasure trashing may be good enough since I can at least clear out the Coppers.

I understand Scrying Pool is effective, but I've never thought of it being a must have in a vacuum. If there were good non-terminal cards on the board, I definitely like going for SP. If there's unconditional trashing to go with it, even better.

The extra action that CQ gives is really good though, because unlike SP I can then actually play multiple terminals after playing CQs.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 01:54:30 am »

In the few irl games I played with CQ, it was pretty strong.

jrh150482

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

-what fun stuff happens because this is debt? have you had a bridge megaturn on turn 7?

It wasn't on turn 7, but I actually did pull off a Bridge + City Quarter megaturn during one of the games I played in season 33 of Dominion League.
Generation 34 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 04:06:26 pm »

Scrying Pool is absolutely worth it even if there's no trashing. The ability to first remove junk from your deck still makes it easy to draw everything.

City Quarter I'm less keen on if there's no trashing. My results from using it with no trashing have been mixed. A single Scrying Pool in a hand of junk is still, in fact, pretty good. A single City Quarter in a hand of junk is a hand of junk.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.