Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Torture me... please!  (Read 1089 times)

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
Torture me... please!
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:39:07 am »
+4

Here was a fun game with Border Village/Torturer on the board.  I like how it highlights different responses to Torturer chains, and why it's often desirable to take the curse.
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120121-000534-6915b222.html

First Four Turns:
My opponent opens three Silvers and a Cartographer; I go for Silver/Smithy/Native Village and am the first to get a Border Village/Torturer.

Turns 5-8:
Opponent follows suit by buying BV/Torturer three times, and Torturer the fourth.  This is not looking good!  She is also the first to play Torturer, which she does on turns 7 and 8.  Meanwhile, I pick up a Native Village, Silver, Border Village, and 2 Torturers.

Looking back, this is where my opponent's stronger money/Cartographer opening started to shine.  I probably should have skipped the Smithy, since I was going for a deck full of Torturers, right?

Turns 9-12
Now the fun begins.  She tortures me 3 times on Turn 9 (I take 2 curses), and picks up another BV/Torturer.  I fire right back with 3 attacks and a BV/Torturer pickup of my own.  She strongly prefers the discard option, so she's left with just one good card when her turn starts.  Unfortunately, it's a BV, which digs down to a Torturer and pulls off another 3-Torturer turn.  I manage a double-Torturer in response, and we each pause to pick up a Trading Post to deal with all the Curses.

My turn 11, things get interesting.  I quadruple-Torturer my opponent, and she never takes a Curse.  I think this is usually a mistake, especially with Trading Post available to kill 2 Curses at a time, and Torturer increasing handsize to bring them all together.  This Curse-Averseness on her part will come to define the rest of the game.

Oh, and I also pick up a Duchy, starting to think about the endgame.

Final four turns:
She recovers from her missed turn, and plays a triple-Torturer attack; I take 2 Curses and she keeps pace with a Duchy of her own.  By keeping my handsize intact, I can fire back with four Torturers, turn those Curses into a Silver, and pick up a Colony (note there is no +Buy).  Next turn is the same story: four Torturers, trash a Curse, gain a Colony.

Both times, she never takes a curse, preferring instead to discard her whole hand.  I think this was the key mistake where the game was lost.  In a 16-turn game, you can't afford to throw away three of those turns entirely.

Now one thing I've picked up from these forums is that good players look for 3-pile opportunities when they have a solid lead -- I'd say 2 Colonies with no +Buy qualifies!  I notice there is 1 Border Village and 2 Curses left -- sounds like a plan.  I take the last BV on Turn 15, and pick up a Curse with it (I love doing that!).

Now I'm grinning, just waiting for my opponent to play a hand for the first time in 3 Turns.  She's got 6 Torturers and no other strong draw -- surely she can't resist "attacking" me!  Sure enough, the Torturers come, and I gleefully gain a Curse in hand to empty the third pile.

And that's how I won a game by my opponent playing a Torturer.

Final thoughts:
I think she had the stronger opening in retrospect, and she had more Torturers.  During the game, I certainly felt like I was getting hammered worse than I was dishing it out, so it was very satisfying to outlast it and emerge victorious.  I think this game highlights the importance of taking Curses sometimes during multiple-Torturer onslaughts; losing a whole turn just hurts too much.

Also, I'm just now noticing this was a Colony game with no treasures higher than Silver involved.  Interesting.

It is also extremely fun to win by emptying the Curses.  In retrospect, it would have been smarter to take a Duchy with the Border Village, since I could expect multiple Torturers on her turn.  But grabbing a Curse with my BV was too fun to pass up.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Torture me... please!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 07:51:57 pm »
+2

There are places you can go for that sort of treatment, but you usually have to pay extra.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.