Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Tournament Question  (Read 2298 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
A Tournament Question
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:21:15 pm »

I want to try an alternate system for playing in a Tournament. The way I see it, there are some options.

1. Individual play within a bracket
2. Team-based play

With the individual play, there are two strategies:

I. A two sided bracket with the winners on both sides facing off
II. Losers bracket, with the winner of the loser bracket facing off against the winner

For team based play, there are some fun things that can be done as well. A team of 3-4 players can get together and come up with a Team Name. Once that is done, that team can compete against all of the other teams. If it's big enough, there could even be divisions where you play your rivals twice, but that's only an option. At the end of the year, the top two teams play against each other to determine the winner.

I'll sum up the options here:

I. Team based play with divisions
II. Team based play where each team plays each other once

So this is going to be a thread to talk about the options that can be considered. I want to create the best format possible for this format I'll host. I really like the team based option, but it is also the most complicated. I'd like to hear some thoughts on some of these formats.

There is a poll where you can explain your vote and add a comment. I can see all of the votes and comments, so feel free to give any input. You can change your vote at any time. Thank you for reading this and for your discussion.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:26:52 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: A Tournament Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »
+1

I'm not a big fan of team play; that's just a personal preference.  I like the idea of a losers bracket.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:38:34 pm »

I'm not a big fan of team play; that's just a personal preference.  I like the idea of a losers bracket.

Alright. Interesting. How would you set up team play if you had to? How would you set up a loser's bracket?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »

I don't really understand how team play is beneficial for Dominion. Let's say I team up with Mic and SCSN. Do we choose who plays against each other member of the team, meaning I'll always play the weakest? If so, what's the point of there being a team; the matches are already predetermined? Are we randomly assigned opponents? Then the whole team thing is completely pointless. Then again, the Dominion World Cup seemed to work out okay, though it was skewed because there are many overrepresented countries.

A double elim tournament (I assume that is what you meant by the Loser's bracket option) is fine, but a large time commitment. Considering how hard it's been to keep even Adam's tournament going with so many schedule conflicts, it sounds unappealing unless time limits for completing matches are strictly enforced.

I'm not too big on the "two pools" structure, but I don't have strong feelings about it either. It's probably about the same as any other tournament.

One thing I do like about the Adam tournament is that there are fewer games per match. Dominion games can take a while, especially at a high level, so a 4-round match is easier on spectators and players. Maybe the results aren't quite as accurate, but at least I don't end every match with a headache.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »
+1

Alright. Interesting. How would you set up team play if you had to? How would you set up a loser's bracket?

For a loser's bracket, one idea that I've seen that worked well was that the losers of later rounds in the main bracket got automatic byes for the first rounds of the loser's bracket.  For example, if the first round was A v. B, C v. D, E v. F, G v. H, and ACEG were the winners, then the first round of the loser's bracket would be something like B v. F, D v. H (the seeding could be different).  If A beat C, E beat G, B beat F, and D beat H, then the next round would include something like C vs. F and G vs. D.  Then the winner of that match would play against the loser of the AE match.  When a player loses two matches, that player is eliminated.  In the championship match, the winner has played one fewer game than the loser and both have won the same number of games, no matter when the loser lost a game.

If I had to do team play, I would probably have each team play each other once.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:38:15 pm by math »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 05:38:58 am »
+1

I voted for Swiss, there's not enough Swiss, all these damn brackets!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:02 am »

I looked up the Swiss system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

It says it is primarily used in Dominion games already! (the wiki article mentions it) I assume real life tournaments. Anyways, I can look into Swiss stuff.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 11:13:45 am »
+1

The fun thing about Swiss is that people keep on playing even if they're not really in contention anymore.

And you keep playing players of roughly the same skill.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 20 queries.