Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: only windfall today. plus another plurality poll  (Read 2601 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: only windfall today. plus another plurality poll
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:21:35 pm »
+2

ohp. uh, steve, can you move me to the left a bit? i'd hate to land on that thing

dominion has always rewarded you for being able to do specific things, perhaps following in the footsteps of magic and also every game. even in the case of something like, for example, peddler, the thing that it rewards you for (playing actions) is only so specific and explicit, and buying peddlers helps you with the goal of playing a bunch of action cards. windfall seems like a little bit less of dominion's bonus-if-you-do-this-thing-you-were-already-gonna-do and more of magic's jump-through-these-hoops-and-then-get-huge sort of thing, although that's arguable; you do generally want to try to draw your deck. but i dunno—this is more explicit of a goal set by a card-shaped thing than we've seen, generally. it rewards engines and of course donate, pretty clearly. 3 is quite a few golds, and clearly you were able to draw all of your entire deck already so drawing it +3 should be manageable.

-is this a departure from most dominion rewards? or am i deluding myself
-does the game take a turn after you start getting windfalls? do you go from trying to draw your deck to slamming provinces and hoping for the best after the first or second one? or is it the same hold-out-until-the-green we usually see?
-did it have to be golds? what problems occur with "...gain three cards costing up to 5"?

note the vote! roll with the poll! s out
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: empires: only windfall today. plus another plurality poll
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »

ohp. uh, steve, can you move me to the left a bit? i'd hate to land on that thing

You mean to the right. Your left is her right.

Windfall is a great way to instaboost payload.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:55 pm »

It's kind of cool how you basically add a Province worth of treasure payload at once with this card, which makes some engines with limited but present +Buy / payload work. But it sure is a little weird, the kind of decks that do this don't generally need a bunch of Gold.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 11:22:16 pm »
+2

You mean to the right. Your left is her right.

Windfall is a great way to instaboost payload.
she was facing a different way when she said it. you usually spin a bit on ropes
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 12:21:56 am »

Hard mode: Have $15 and 3 Buys. Buy Windfall, gain Golds. Buy Cultist and trash with Watchtower, draw the Golds. Buy Windfall again.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:01:58 am »
+1

windfall seems like a little bit less of dominion's bonus-if-you-do-this-thing-you-were-already-gonna-do and more of magic's jump-through-these-hoops-and-then-get-huge sort of thing, although that's arguable; you do generally want to try to draw your deck. but i dunno—this is more explicit of a goal set by a card-shaped thing than we've seen, generally.

This is pretty close to Treasure Map in this respect, honestly
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:08:23 am »

Windfall seems like it would be useful in the same way that Treasure Map is useful when you're drawing your deck.

I just played a game where I bought two Treasure Maps (no +Buy, so I wasted two whole turns!), then when I played them I immediately bought a victory card, taking 4 VP from Aqueduct.  That particular tactic would not have worked with Windfall, but I would have gladly bought Windfall were it available.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.