Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governor & I  (Read 4953 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Governor & I
« on: July 16, 2016, 05:00:44 pm »

I absolutely suck at Governor games. I can never win them anymore. So I'd like a rundown on how to play a Governor game well.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Governor & I
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:22 pm »

Win the Governor split.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:03:09 pm »

Win the Governor split.

Yes, that helps. But I'm not playing Governor well enough in general. If I was, I wouldn't be losing on a consistent basis.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
+1

Don't use +3 cards; is my advice.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »

I use it, but Mic Qsenoch uses it and he wins all the time.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:10:11 pm »
+1

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »
+1

Governor is sort of like Peasant in the sense that you have to be really aware of all the components available to you and how they interact with Governor. Sometimes, you just play a straight up rush. Sometimes, you use it to boost an engine. The key thing is to plan ahead and figure out what sort of Governor game your playing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:14:41 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 07:16:11 pm »

Governor is sort of like Peasant in the sense that you have to be really aware of all the components available to you and how they interact with Governor. Sometimes, you just play a straight up rush. Sometimes, you use it to boost an engine. The key thing is to plan ahead and figure out what sort of Governor game your playing.

I went for a Governor rush once because people told me it was insanely good all the time. Some guy with Smithies just flattened me, barely contesting Governors at all.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:41:38 am »
+1

I went for a Governor rush once because people told me it was insanely good all the time. Some guy with Smithies just flattened me, barely contesting Governors at all.

Well you have him a bunch of free Silver, bigger hands, and Copper / Estate trashing. He didn't need to do anything but Smithy.

Win the split, work quickly, don't Remodel much early other than trying to win the Governor split (Silver into Governor is worth it), do anything you can to get draw or Golds from non-Governor sources if possible (Lab or Market Square), hit your mega turn as soon as you can end the game that way.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:05 am »
+1

I think the defensive aspect of governor play is often missed. This can be choosing governor options that your opponent doesn't like, having good upgrades when your opponent remodels, and taking early leads. If you've got a 2-0 lead in provinces, say, your opponent will probably be giving you free cards and free upgrades just to get a big 4 province turn that isn't big enough. Better defensive play gives you a chance of not being steamrollered as second player and can expose the limitations of scoring via a precise +2 cost remodel.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 11:38:01 am »

Is it right for me to assume that outside of Procession, Governor is likely the most complicated card in Dominion?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 03:16:12 pm »
+2

Is it right for me to assume that outside of Procession, Governor is likely the most complicated card in Dominion?

No.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »
+3

We need most complicated card brackets

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 03:32:01 pm »

I think looking at complicated cards is a good idea at any rate. Brackets!

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 04:49:55 pm »

I prefer the word 'complex', as it doesn't have as many negative connotations in game design.  I mentally lumped Stonemason and Develop in with Procession as some of the most complex cards in Dominion.  The player interaction element of Governor certainly makes it complex in a different way than most Dominion cards.  On many boards, Overlord is a very complex card to play well.  Many of the other Empires cards are complex.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 04:52:23 pm »

Peasant too.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 05:14:40 pm »

I prefer the word 'complex', as it doesn't have as many negative connotations in game design.  I mentally lumped Stonemason and Develop in with Procession as some of the most complex cards in Dominion.  The player interaction element of Governor certainly makes it complex in a different way than most Dominion cards.  On many boards, Overlord is a very complex card to play well.  Many of the other Empires cards are complex.

Confusion can have connotations with complication, but yeah, I meant complication as in complex. Same thing, really. If you want me to call it complex, that's fine. I prefer complication in game design. It means decisions are harder to make.

guidobass

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: guidobass
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »

Why not? 3 cards +1 action is pretty good, no?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:25:57 pm by guidobass »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

Your opponent draws a card. This has the added effect of having the opponent draw less, which means he can do more things with his Governors. You'll find yourself in a hole pretty quickly, and he should breeze to an easy win.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 11:27:31 am »
+3

If playing multiple Governors in a row always consider remodelling before drawing - that gives your opponent less options to remodel.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »
+1

Your opponent draws a card. This has the added effect of having the opponent draw less, which means he can do more things with his Governors. You'll find yourself in a hole pretty quickly, and he should breeze to an easy win.

"Never use the draw" is as much of a wrong answer as "use the draw all the time". Literally everything you do with Governor helps your opponent breeze to a win. Remodel trashes for them. Free draw bites. Even the silver gaining in a vacuum helps them - they can remodel Silvers into their own Governors.

The way to maintain advantage with Governor is to be hyper aware of the content of both players' decks and to maximize the relative value of each Governor play. Gaining Golds is the safe move because receiving free Silver is the least beneficial to your opponent, but of course having all those Golds clogging your own deck makes you use more draw down the line. Knowing when to pull the trigger on draw + remodel into Provinces also depends on how your opponent is doing. They'll sometimes have 6-7 card hands when you draw early - so make sure the draw isn't stupid. They'll trash Coppers when you Remodel - so make sure you really can make good use of that 4 cost or whatever.

I guess the real tip here is that Governor is not Rebuild - other cards can be incorporated into a Governor strategy for benefit (Remake, Warehouse, whatever) and doing those at the right time in the right order is also critical. And get some practice with the card.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:04:07 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.789 seconds with 20 queries.