Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wishing Well/Scout Combo  (Read 7494 times)

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Wishing Well/Scout Combo
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »

This Combo works very well when there are no '+2 card' cards.  Use Scout to reveal the top 4 cards of your deck, play wishing well, and wish for the correct card!  This combo is not meant to be buy itself, just to make a good deck less likely to stall.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:35:15 pm by Graystripe77 »

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Re: Wishing Well/Scout Combo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »

Theoretically Apothecary works just as well as Scout here.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »

It's not worth it to buy two crappy cards in hopes of simulating one good card.  About the only time I'd ever consider it is if I was doing Ironworks/Great Hall and had some kind of desire for Scouts already.

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 04:13:27 pm »

But wishing well isn't a crappy card!

Scout certainly is, and in most wishing well decks I don't think I'd bother picking it up, but if it's going to be useful at all, it's worth considering. Keep in mind that it can set up two wishing wells, and if you're doing it right probably some of the revealed cards will be wishing wells, and now you're well on your way to making it all the way through your deck instead of fizzling out right away.
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

Play 2 cards to draw 2 cards. Doesn't sound that great to me.

ImperialStout

• Swindler
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 04:58:49 pm »

There are however decks where wishing wells are very good (edit: by which I mean compare to the other 3 coin purchases on the board including silver), as I believe Theory has pointed out in a post on the strategy site.  I suspect that in decks where one or two action cards are of game-winning significance (e.g., curse givers in a deck with no trashers, the first kings court in a game where the first few kc + action combos will determine the winner) wishing wells quickly become the most desirable 3 coin and potentially even 4 coin purchase if there are no good 4 coin purchases.  In such a deck where you will already have the wishing wells, and where there are also great halls or harems, I wonder if a scout wouldn't be preferable to yet another wishing well...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »

There are decks where a wishing well is good, or a scout is good, and then you add the other card for increased effect. I wouldn't put the two together just for the benefit of each other.

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:39 pm »

Although scout isn't a great card by any means it can counter deck stacking attacks like fortune teller and ghost ship (assuming you put victory cards down).  I'd say situational at best.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 08:53:16 pm »

But wishing well isn't a crappy card!

Scout certainly is,

Scout is awesome is decks with action victory cards. Take nobles as an example: it would go into your hands and then you get to choose see which 3 cards you will be drawing. It can also be a good defence against cards that attack the top of your deck.

I don't believe any card is "crappy". Some just have limited uses.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

Pearl Diver (Ironically the card under your name as I type this) would like to have a word with you.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:28 pm »

There are however decks where wishing wells are very good (edit: by which I mean compare to the other 3 coin purchases on the board including silver), as I believe Theory has pointed out in a post on the strategy site.  I suspect that in decks where one or two action cards are of game-winning significance (e.g., curse givers in a deck with no trashers, the first kings court in a game where the first few kc + action combos will determine the winner) wishing wells quickly become the most desirable 3 coin and potentially even 4 coin purchase if there are no good 4 coin purchases.  In such a deck where you will already have the wishing wells, and where there are also great halls or harems, I wonder if a scout wouldn't be preferable to yet another wishing well...

Wishingwell is the only card i can think of that makes Stash's "place anywhere in your deck" totally awesome.  Chancellor is good for putting Stash on top.  With WW, you put it 2d, 4th, 6th, 8th.... and then draw them all!

In this game I used Stash+WW to get to Grand Markets.  Took a while though - the Ambassadors were slowing us both down.  But starting turn 16, things took off.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110614-072658-be442c8b.html
Code: [Select]
Death to Sea Hags plays a Wishing Well.
... drawing 1 card and getting +1 action.
... (Death to Sea Hags reshuffles.)
... wishing for a Stash and finding one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:31:17 pm by Death to Sea Hags »

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:41 pm »

That is exactly my definition of crappy. You can enumerate the finite-but-very-large number of possible spreads. For each of those, you can enumerate the very-much-larger-number of possible ways to play them. Then, for a given card, you can check whether the winner played it (with some wrinkles for things like buying Mint and never playing it, or buying VP) in each of these games. The percentage of the time that the winner played the card is the card's quality.

There might be some problems with this framework (and certainly I haven't described it fully), but if so something very similar will work.

I agree with what I think is your intent -- that there is no card that it isn't sometimes correct to purchase with the intent to play it. When I talk about card quality, I'm talking about the percentage of the time that it's correct to do so.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 09:31:50 pm »

Pearl Diver (Ironically the card under your name as I type this) would like to have a word with you.

I played a game recently where King's Courted Pearl Divers were the only source of +Actions.

They're also sometimes worth picking up as cheap fodder to power Peddlers, Conspirators, and Scrying Pools.

Thief, on the other hand, now that's a crappy card.  Maybe I'd buy one in a set consisting of nothing but Chapel, Thief, and Treasure Kingdom cards.  That's about it.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Personman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:32:33 pm »

Dude, Pearl Diver is way better than Scout.

Death to Sea Hags

• Thief
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:33 pm »

I played a game recently where King's Courted Pearl Divers were the only source of +Actions.

They're also sometimes worth picking up as cheap fodder to power Peddlers, Conspirators, and Scrying Pools.

Thief, on the other hand, now that's a crappy card.  Maybe I'd buy one in a set consisting of nothing but Chapel, Thief, and Treasure Kingdom cards.  That's about it.

I'll buy Thief for a Fairgrounds game.  But only if I have to.  Even then, I've put it on an Island.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 09:44:22 pm »

I'll buy Thief for a Fairgrounds game.  But only if I have to.  Even then, I've put it on an Island.

Sending criminals away to remote islands? I think we shall call this the Australian Fairground Strategy.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »

Theoretically Apothecary works just as well as Scout here.

No.  It works much, much better.  I mean, sure, maybe the Apothecary scoops up three or four coppers and you can't set up a wish for your Well, but then you're up three cards anyway!
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Amaranth

• Ambassador
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 05:34:18 am »

Apothecary self-synergises (sort of). You don't get massive draw off Apothecary unless your deck is choked with Coppers, but the ability to repeatedly stack your deck lets you play all your Bazaars/Conspirators/Markets/Grand Markets etc. in sequence with a lot more reliability.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 07:20:15 am »

You really think Pearl Driver i the worst card in the game ? It really isn't. Being spammable not only makes it's effet somewhat relevant, it also turns on Conspirator, it's an action for Throne Room or King's Court, and most of all, as Beyond Silver taught us (yes, I do worship this article), it becomes better than Silver at some point.

Whereas Scout is simply terrible 90% of the time, ok 5% of the time, and awesome 5% of the time.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:58 pm »

Whereas Scout is simply terrible 90% of the time, ok 5% of the time, and awesome 5% of the time.

This is really well put.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.937 seconds with 20 queries.