Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Play Board Games on Youtube  (Read 1876 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Let's Play Board Games on Youtube
« on: July 13, 2016, 08:28:44 am »
+3

Hey everybody. I really like watching board game related videos, but mostly prefer watching let's plays or playthroughs than reviews like Rodney Smith, Richard Ham, Ricky Royal, Michael Wißner or Hunter & Cron in German do. It gives me a better feel of the game and is just more enjoyable. I always wanted to do videos like that myself, but I have the problem 1.) that I have not many games, especially not new ones as I mainly play with my wife and we can't afford to buy always the newest games, 2.) I don't have a good camera only my smartphone (I mean rahdo started with his iPhone as well, but I'm not sure if I could do that) and 3.) that my games are in German and I want to make videos in English. Because of those things I never did that. A couple of week ago I remembered that there are websites like yucata.de, boardgamearena.com and boiteajeux.net which I played on a few years ago. I started playing on yucata.de and thought "Hey I could record those games like I do with Dominion". I searched on youtube and found very few videos of other people doing that. I'm not sure other people would enjoy watching that, but let's try. So I recorded 2 games already and want to hear the reaction. So my question is, are you interested in watching those and if yes, do you like those videos? I have the videos as "not listed" so far until I get some reactions. My goal is to always play a different game and learn most of the games available there one by one.

The first game I played is Kashgar: Händler der Seidenstraße. Because I have a lot of people watching me because of Dominion I decided to record a deck builder of a different kind. Also it's not released in English and it's awesome.

The next game I played is The Voyages of Marco Polo. I chose it because it's one of the newest games there and won Deutscher Spielepreis last year.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Board Games on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:33:17 pm »

I really like that first game. Seems simple enough. I think a way to make it more interesting is to be able to keep a card or two in hand at any time, just to increase the strategy and thinking. When everything is only reliant on card draw and public information, it's always about the optimal play. But when you have some concealed information (holding your own cards), you make it a more interesting game.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:20:57 am »
+1

In just the first few minutes, you had highlighted enough of Kashgar for me to want to play it. In fact, I was preparing to watch your whole vid when I got a spare hour, in preparation for playing it in German on yucata; but it looks like there's an English version of it online. So if your goal was to get people into new games: mission completed, my good man!

1.) that I have not many games, especially not new ones as I mainly play with my wife and we can't afford to buy always the newest games...
and 3.) that my games are in German and I want to make videos in English.
How related are these two points? I mean, do you only have old German games for which an English translation doesn't exist? That still might be mildly entertaining. But if the games exist in English in some form, don't let that stop you.

2.) I don't have a good camera only my smartphone (I mean rahdo started with his iPhone as well, but I'm not sure if I could do that)
Don't let that stop you, either. You already admitted that rahdo started that way, so the only thing holding you back is you. Of course, this online recording thing seems to be working pretty well, too...

I can't necessarily explain why rahdo's vids are so popular, but for me personally, the general style of his presentation is key. He gives us all the information we need. He doesn't bang on about (too much) unrelated stuff. He keeps his run-time relatively short. LP's are a different bag than reviews, obviously, but keep those points in mind anyway.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 07:55:15 am »

Thanks for your kind words, man.

In just the first few minutes, you had highlighted enough of Kashgar for me to want to play it. In fact, I was preparing to watch your whole vid when I got a spare hour, in preparation for playing it in German on yucata; but it looks like there's an English version of it online. So if your goal was to get people into new games: mission completed, my good man!

Yeah, that's what I wanted to accomplish.

don't let that stop you.

Well I found a good solution to the problems for now. Also it's better to play against real humans than faking a second player. But if it doesn't work out or I run out of good games to play online I might give it a try.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:10:43 pm »

Really good stuff!  I love Voyages of Marco Polo, I wish it got a little more buzz here in the States, it was my favorite new game of last year.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:21:34 pm »

don't let that stop you.

Well I found a good solution to the problems for now. Also it's better to play against real humans than faking a second player. But if it doesn't work out or I run out of good games to play online I might give it a try.

You could always play the games online and talk over skype to have the second person also giving commentary.  It can make the videos more interesting if there is someone else giving their insight as well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.