Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Conflicting Counters  (Read 1215 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Conflicting Counters
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:16:22 pm »

So I just had an interesting experience. I played a game with Mountebank, Stables and Lighthouse. I bought some Stables, with the idea that it would put the coppers flooding my deck to good use. But I also bought Lighthouse, and it did such a good job of blocking my opponents Mountebank that I found myself drawing the Stables in the endgame with no treasure (the rest of my deck was based on Nobles-Crossroad).

I thought that it was interesting because the two "counters" to Mountebank actually ended up (slightly) conflicting with each other, which raises the question: faced with two counters to a powerful attack, when should one double up and when should one stick with the better one? In this case the engine I built (and the fact that I got to open Mountebank when my opponent didn't) led me to an easy victory anyway, but it's easily conceivable that two counters might conflict enough that a player who goes overboard and tries to do both ends up doing more harm to themselves than good.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Conflicting Counters
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52:53 am »

In this specific case, if you can load up on enough Lighthouse protection, I wouldn't bother overbuying Stables when Crossroads/Nobles will give you all the draw you need plus points. Now, if your opponent opened Mountebank and you did not, I could see going full Stables because you're really going to be hurting at that point. But Lighthouse is really one of the few able defenders of cursing Attacks.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.158 seconds with 20 queries.