Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Boring vs. Fun  (Read 1066 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Boring vs. Fun
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:26:44 pm »
+1

As we all know, sometimes complicated, fun strategies will win to simple, boring strategies; and sometimes vice-versa.  And when I don't know which strategy is better, I pretty much always go with the more fun one because it's, well, more fun.  (Ok, I know there are purists out there that say there is no such thing as a boring kingdom.. but that's a discussion for a different day.)  Below are 2 games -- one in which my opponent goes for T-map without much else support while I go for a complicated Storyteller/Possession/Vineyards thing, and another in which I go for a super boring Trade Silver-flooding with pretty much no other support while my opponent tries to set up some sort of Procession/Rats/Torturer engine.  As can be seen, both games ended up being VERY close.

======================================

Code: [Select]
Borrow, Raid, Vineyard, Beggar, Haven, Dungeon, Horse Traders, Treasure Map, Band of Misfits, Storyteller, Wine Merchant, Possession
Game 1 log

This game, I thought it would be fun to at least try the more complicated strategy, just to see what happens.  It ended up working out.  Opponent opened double T-map with help from Borrow and got a big early lead (in VP, at least).  But Vineyards, man.  Oh and buying Borrow whilst Possessing someone is such a jerk move.

Code: [Select]
Seaway, Trade, Poor House, Death Cart, Procession, Rats, Talisman, Transmogrify, Tactician, Torturer, Venture, Forge
Game 2 log

I ended up getting all 10 Curses here.  But my opponent was trying to make an engine happen that just wasn't there.  We did however both learn when the game was almost over that if you Procession a Transmogrify, it doesn't get trashed.  And therefore, he could have used this to give him actions.  But it was a bit too late.  I think I could have built for 1 or 2 more turns before greening, not sure, whatev.

Not saying either of us played correctly in either game.  Just sayin, sometimes you gotta just Silver flood.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Boring vs. Fun
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »
+2

I think the engine in the secnd game can be built. You just have to focus on getting Forge ASAP. Maybe even open Death Cart. Andrew ended up with way too many Rats and got it really late. The ideal deck there is 2 Rats, 1 Forge, 2 Tacticians, and random junk. Gain 2 Rats and trash them for a Province each turn. I think it should be possible to get there fast enough. With Necro around, you can even play another action (Torturer? Death Cart? A second Forge?) each turn.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Boring vs. Fun
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »

Faust tells it like it is for the second game. ON 5/2 I'd open Tactician. Limetime will hate me, but Tac is great there for hitting 7 quickly.

For the first game, I'd go for Treasure Map with Storyteller and Horse Traders. Because of Possession, Vineyards are perfectly acceptable things to get along the way.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.033 seconds with 20 queries.