Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When Treasure Map is like the Spanish Inquisition  (Read 2269 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
When Treasure Map is like the Spanish Inquisition
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:43:27 pm »
+6

3 player game, against a person who's played less than 10 games before, and a person who only plays very casually.

I opened Fishing Village / Island. I know Island is probably a weak opening, but I've always been a sucker for it. The others opened Fishing Village / Pirate Ship. One player got a couple more Pirate Ships, while the other stopped at 1. They both saw that Fishing Village was important, so they didn't last long at all. I won a 4-3-3 split by spending to grab the last one.

It wasn't long until I was down to 1 Copper left; having never bought any Silver/Gold. I got 4 Wharfs and 4 Markets; so before too long I was drawing my deck and producing every turn. A couple more Islands too; so I had no Estates left.

The heavy Pirate Ship player got 5 tokens and was using that to buy a Province about half the time. With time starting to run out, I use my to grab 2 Treasure Maps, to everyone's surprise. Next turn of course I activate them (and draw all the Golds immediately). I buy 2 Provinces and an Island 2 turns in a row. One of my Gold gets trashed by Pirate Ship; then I buy a Province and the last 4 Pearl Divers to end the game, 3 turns after having bought the Treasure Maps.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: When Treasure Map is like the Spanish Inquisition
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:56 pm »

I don't get the Spanish Inquisition part. Were your opponents questioning you about your Treasure Map buys?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:58 pm »
+3

Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Their chief weapon is surprise ...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 03:20:05 pm »

I don't get the Spanish Inquisition part. Were your opponents questioning you about your Treasure Map buys?

What ConMan said. I hadn't thought about the fact that the joke wasn't obvious due to me not having mentioned "nobody expects" anywhere in the post. But now that we've explained the joke, it's funnier.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:37:59 pm »

I was actually hoping someone would either post a video showing the full reference, or at least point out that their chief weapons are surprise and fear. But that's probably starting to get a bit off-topic.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 02:59:20 am »
+1

I was actually hoping someone would either post a video showing the full reference, or at least point out that their chief weapons are surprise and fear.

Amongst their weapons.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:04:35 pm »
+1

Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Their chief weapon is surprise ...

Well, surprise and fear.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 02:47:43 pm »
+1

And ruthless efficiency
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.