Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cars and Phones  (Read 4938 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Cars and Phones
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:54:10 pm »
+1

Because I generally trust the opinions of people on f.ds more than those of random people I don't know on the internet, I'm hoping people can give me some input on this.

Because I still live in the twentieth century, I have never owned a smart phone before.  However, I am planning on getting one soon (I swear it's not just for Pokemon Go).  Can anyone give me some advice on what kind of phone I should get?  An overview of pros and cons, cost, etc. would be nice, or just a description of your own experiences.

And I also may be buying my first car in the next few months, and I know very little about cars.  I think I would want something reasonably inexpensive, but I value long-term cost more than short-term I think (as a silly example, a $15000 car that gets 2 miles per gallon is probably worse than a $20000 car that gets 40 miles per gallon, so I understand base price doesn't translate to cheaper necessarily).  I know there's some subjectivity with how you like the feel of a car and stuff, but I feel so overwhelmed by how many different cars and so many variables to take into account, I have no idea how to find what's best.

I have some vague ideas for both of these, but I really want to hear other people's opinions.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: Cars and Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:56:09 pm »
+1

I think what phone you get depends largely on what computer and tablet or other device you have.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:09:59 pm »

I think what phone you get depends largely on what computer and tablet or other device you have.

Why?  Just for compatibility reasons?  I'm using Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad 420 (every time I've tried to do anything on Apple computers I end up getting extremely frustrated so I tend to be biased against Apple products in general, though I'm open to the idea that maybe their phones aren't so bad, but I don't see myself ever getting an Apple computer or using Apple OS).

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »
+1

Just to chime in before the Android crowd comes in: If you value good security, less vulnerability to software exploits, encryption by default, etc. an iPhone is a nice choice. I didn't even know phones could get malware until a few of my friends had their Android phones infected.

Android is more customizable and there's less of a walled garden, which is valuable to many people, but in exchange it's less unified and coherent of a user experience. You can get used to both though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:28:03 pm »
+4

When I read the title I thought the thread would be about the danger of texting while driving.

I also don't have a smartphone! We are a dying minority.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:32:12 pm »
+1

I personally think Apple phones are pretty poor, in terms of general user interface, general aesthetics of the device/operating system/etc., and the specialized peripherals (charging chords, etc.).

I've had Android phones for a long time and have been very happy with them. 

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:39:36 pm »
+1

I have been quite happy with my Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy particularly.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:44:18 pm »
+1

I have the Note 4, I think it's pretty good.  Will very likely get the newest Note when I upgrade next. 

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 08:10:31 am »
+1

I'm something of a PC power-user, and at first I was extremely frustrated by my iPhone's rigid, inflexible structure. It doesn't have a filesystem, per se, but specific apps that deal in specific types of data (these are pictures, these are books, these are songs, lol what's a text file?) and they have very limited options for organizing and sorting their contents. Furthermore, if you want to transfer stuff between a PC and an iPhone... well, you're limited to JPEGs and MP3s.

Eventually, I figured out that I could bypass all of that by using DropBox. It creates a virtual filesystem on my iPhone that is kept in sync with my PC via the Internet.

P.S.: This is the only smartphone I've owned, so I don't know how the Android experience differs from it.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:14:51 am »
+1

Why?  Just for compatibility reasons?  I'm using Windows 7 on a Lenovo ThinkPad 420 (every time I've tried to do anything on Apple computers I end up getting extremely frustrated so I tend to be biased against Apple products in general, though I'm open to the idea that maybe their phones aren't so bad, but I don't see myself ever getting an Apple computer or using Apple OS).

I think that if you have a Mac, you should definitely get an iPhone e. I think that people that don't have a Mac should still consider an iPhone because it is easy to shop for a phone because there are only three choices, and basically anyone that has an app will have an iPhone app. Other plus is that lots of people know how to use them so for a first smart phone people would be able to help you.

The big annoying thing about Apple in my opinion is that they make you use their software. Like you have to get iTunes on your computer which is always hard to work with.

I have loved my iPhones and probably wouldn't switch though. They are great devices that are pretty sturdy and have innovative features and I always know that I'll be getting a phone that works well. My brother switched to android and got a crappy phone because he wasn't willing to look around and shop. He hates his phone.

Wow that post ended up a lot longer than I wanted it to be.

My car advice would be to look at what kind of car you really need. My wife and I just bought a used 2013 Toyota Yaris. We absolutely love it. It gets good gas mileage, has a Bluetooth connection to your phone to play music, and cost us about $10000.  The car isn't very fast and it's a small car so not much room for hauling stuff around but they hold their value really well and save us a ton of money on gas.

I guess that is my two cents on cars and phones

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 10:18:36 am »
+1

I don't know where you live, but I remember my dad getting cars always on the scale of a few thousand dollars (used, of course).  Unless you have a money tree in your backyard I would suggest getting a used car to save on money.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03:05 pm »
+1

Malware on Android isn't an issue if you're smart about what you download and install. If you only grab stuff from the Play Store, you should be fine.

I've stuck to the Samsung Galaxy line and haven't been disappointed.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »
+4

Please don't buy any Russian cars!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:37:14 pm by Burning Skull »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 01:36:38 pm »
+2

I’m also pretty happy with the Samsung Galaxy. I had the S3 and now I have the S6.

My wife used to have an iPhone, and it was okay, but it never felt right in my hands. I’m accustomed to the Android, so of course iOS is going to feel clunky to me.

I did my research on phones, which is why I got the Galaxy. So far so good.
A man has no signature

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 02:56:09 pm »
+1

Regarding the car, used Volts are a phenomenal deal right now.  My used 2013 Volt which came fully loaded (heated seats, leather, upgraded sound, navigation, e.g.) would have been a 40k car 3 years ago came in for me at just under 15k including taxes, registration, etc...

If you have a regular commute of 30-40 miles each day I would seriously look into one.  If you don't know how it works, your first 40ish miles (depends on weather and driving style) are pure electric miles.  Then you car essentially turns into a hybrid (like a Prius) and gets 40mpg.  The only times I ever use gas are when I'm doing an errand after work that requires an extensive amount of driving or when I'm going on a large road trip.  The gas tank allows for almost an extra 300 miles worth of driving so there is no danger of getting stuck.  If you never go beyond the 40 miles and recharge your car every night you will never use a drop of gasoline.

It's also insanely fun to drive.  Having an electric motor (no transmission shifting) makes it seem as if you are just gliding across the road.  Seriously one of the most smooth rides you will ever have.  As for acceleration, put the Volt into sport mode and you almost feel like you are in a rocket when you push the accelerator.

As for functionality, the hatchback trunk and foldable back seats make for a fair amount of cargo space if you are okay with only having 1 other passenger.  My wife and I fit both of our road bikes in ours this past weekend with room to spare since we have been too cheap to buy a rack.  The main cons which some people have (I haven't had a problem yet) is that the back seat only supports two people instead of a bench that could have 3.  Also, if you are trying to pack for a vacation with 4 people, the trunk would probably be a bit on the small side.  But the small trunk is completely remedied if you are willing to fold a seat or two down for extra storage.

Another great perk is that parking structures usually have dedicated EV charging at the front on the 1st story.  I've been sending pictures of my easy parking adventures during exceptionally busy events to my cousin who claimed I was only getting this car for the good parking spots.

One small con is that you do need to use premium gasoline, but if you maximize your use of electric driving this really doesn't matter too much as you aren't buying much gas anyways.

Also, I am not affiliated with GM in any way.  This is just that good of a car.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:34 pm »
+2

Cars: You probably want a used car; however much you're planning to spend, the value is just so much better. I haven't seen anyone mention reliability. This should be especially important to you if you're not much of a car person. I highly recommend you go to your library and grab Consumer Reports' latest car issue. It has recommendations for used cars by price range based on what's been reliable, and lots of general car-buying advice. I think a lot of libraries have Consumer Reports online, so that may even save you a trip outside. I drive a Civic (purchased used) and am very pleased with it. Hondas and Toyotas in general are known for being solid, reliable and holding their value quite well.

Unless you manage to line up a private party sale, expect an unpleasant shopping experience. Be skeptical, haggle, and be ready to walk away. There are more cars out there. If you're not going to buy the car with cash, talk to your bank or credit union to get approved for a loan before car shopping. They'll give you a better deal than the dealership, who will use the financing to pull a fast one on you.

Phones: A couple years ago you had the choice between spending $600 on an iPhone, "flagship" Android (Samsung Galaxy/Nexus/HTC One/etc), or $200 junk. Nowadays the $600 phones are huge and you can get an excellent phone for $400ish if you don't mind it being slightly smaller; the iPhone SE, the Moto X Pure (what I have, and would recommend), OnePlus 3, etc. The Samsung Galaxy is still costly (and decent enough) but no longer head-and-shoulders better as it was in the Galaxy S3-S4 days. I would definitely recommend one of those phones rather than a $200-$250 "budget" phone, which are much better than they used to be but you'll be using it every day for two years so spend the money. I have used both iPhone and Android and really, both are fine. iOS has more and better apps and, perhaps surprisingly, better security; Android delivers a better value and saves you from the walled garden/branding phenomenon that some people find off-putting. If you have friends or family that prefer one platform, that may sway your decision. Ars Technica is my preferred source for reviews, and especially their roundups/guides, but they don't publish those quite as often as you would hope (they did a really nice one around December, but that's half a year ago now).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:29:20 pm by sitnaltax »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »
+1

I'm about to buy a phone.  I think I have to get an iPhone to get in on the family share with the rest of my family (or do I?) they all use iPhones.

I want to spend as little as possible while still playing Pokemon Go without locking up.

Battery life is probably relevant, with that in mind.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2016, 03:24:10 pm »
+1

I'm about to buy a phone.  I think I have to get an iPhone to get in on the family share with the rest of my family (or do I?) they all use iPhones.

I want to spend as little as possible while still playing Pokemon Go without locking up.

Battery life is probably relevant, with that in mind.

You don't have to get an iPhone to get in on the family sharing of cellular data and whatever, but to get all the apps they paid for for free, to share an Apple Music subscription, etc. an iPhone is necessary. I would get the iPhone here.

Get a used iPhone 5 or 5s if you can, especially if you're willing to take it apart and replace a weak battery they are still good phones.

Unfortunately there isn't an iPhone model with stellar battery life. Get a cheap external battery pack for when you really need to actively use your phone for a very long day - for less than $20 you can get 10,000mah on Amazon.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2016, 04:15:36 pm »
+1

My family doesn't buy any apps.  My little brother has like 2 songs I'd want to listen to and I think he pulls them off CD so I don't know if those become shareable anyway.

Battery life is kind of a big deal though . .

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 06:07:53 pm »
+1

My family doesn't buy any apps.  My little brother has like 2 songs I'd want to listen to and I think he pulls them off CD so I don't know if those become shareable anyway.

Actually, the iPhone 5s that I have has pretty stellar battery life, in my experience.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 09:46:52 pm »
+1

Actually, the iPhone 5s that I have has pretty stellar battery life, in my experience.

But what is your experience?  If it's all Apple, then maybe the iPhone 5s has stellar battery life compared to other iPhones, but not in general.  My experience is limited to the Galaxy S2 and the S5 and I don't usually read reviews of phones so I don't know either.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 12:24:37 am »
+2

But what is your experience? If it's all Apple, then maybe the iPhone 5s has stellar battery life compared to other iPhones, but not in general.  My experience is limited to the Galaxy S2 and the S5 and I don't usually read reviews of phones so I don't know either.

That's my experience.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 03:25:11 pm »
+1

I can only talk about phones since I don't have any idea about cars.

Phone largely depends on what you plan to do with them.
If you don't mind having a rather large phone (which is actually pretty cool), I would recommend the OnePlus 3. (https://oneplus.net/3)
It offers great specs (strong CPU, 6GB Ram, 64GB storage, good camera, strong battery) while costing "only" 400$.

I personally own the Galaxy S7 which is pretty awesome as well (I would say slightly better than the OP3) while costing a lot more (Around 150$).
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.