Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76932 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2016, 07:12:17 pm »

Just to clarify, the arc tells you the Pokemon level.  Level, base stats for the species and IVs all factor into the CP.  But yeah, that's an OK simplified assessment.  I would add that the one-bar charge attacks tend to be better for offense and OK for defense, while the cheap charge moves tend to be horrible for offense even though they are best for defense (like, using Water Pulse on Vaporeon actually lowers your DPS compared to not using any charge move at all).

But for moves, you just need to look it up.  Sometimes Pokemon don't have good STAB moves, and for all we know Niantic will change various mechanisms next week to throw current rankings out the window. :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2016, 10:47:32 pm »

So I've got my first level 10 gym.  It's one that I've near my home which I've held for 80% of the time anyway, but it was usually at level 6-8.  I find that it tends to be stable over the week but then it gets taken down at some point on the weekend.  Maybe now that it's level 10 it will last.  It was nice because the bottom 2 Pokemon were a 10xx Jolteon and 18xx Flareon, so I just trained against them with my 1291 Golem (with Mud Shot and Earthquake).  Around +800 prestige each time and I barely needed to dodge.  Depending on how soon the Flareon AI chose to use its Fire Blast, sometimes I could not dodge at all and come out with 33% HP remaining.  Another guy was there so we took it up to 42k/50k prestige with 4 open slots.  It's now at level 10 and one slot still open.

This weekend I've been trying to raise up some other big gyms, but I haven't had any luck.  On Saturday I raised multiple gyms up such that they would hit level 7 if they got filled up... and most never did before getting taken down.  One got up to level 9 but the bottom 6 Pokemon were all super weak and that gym was taken down later as well.  Today I tried some other gyms in the same area.  I found 3 that were already level 5-6 with decent Pokemon already, trained them up and joined them.  I thought they had a decent shot of lasting, but they've since fallen as well.  So now I'm holding onto just 2 gyms, and we'll see if that second one falls.  Last I saw it was at level 8 so maybe it'll stand for a while yet.  I don't think I'll have time to try this again in the future.

The most annoying things about gym battling are glitches and lag.  Against one gym full of Water-types, I was able to use my Victreebel to take down 3 in a row.  Then in the next battle, an undying Blastoise prevented a single victory.  In another training situation, I was trying to use a 13xx Clefable and a 10xx Cloyster against a Dragonite.  The CP gap was big enough to need some dodging, which wouldn't be difficult except for occasional spikes of heavy lag.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:51:52 pm by eHalcyon »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

So I’m 50k shy of hitting level 22. I still have a bunch of Pokemon to go through with the lucky egg. If I can get some more, then I may be able to evolve 60 critters in the half hour, which would be enough to get me to level 22.

Judging from how much more difficult it is to gain levels now, it does seem that now is the time to start looking at pumping Stardust into these things to make them bigger. So should I hold off until 22 to do this? Is there much difference between those two levels?
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2016, 05:35:04 pm »

If you're concerned about IVs, level 20 is basically when it's OK to start using stardust.  This is because hatched Pokemon are more likely to have good IVs and the level of hatches is capped at 20.

I'm level 29 now and still haven't really powered anything up.  I think I'm going to put some stardust into a couple now though.  I've got Victreebel and Machamp with decent IVs and (more importantly) the moveset I want.  I've been using them without powering them up for a while now but I feel like it'll be worth powering up the Victreebel especially so it'll run over all the Water-types in gyms more easily.  I also have a good Vileplume, but I'm going to leave it where it is for the purpose of training gyms (you get more prestige from training when you win with a Pokemon of lower CP).  I'm holding off on powering up my Mud Shot Golem for the same reason.

Powering up works the same way no matter what level you're at.  Your level only means you can power up more.  If you max out a Pokemon now, you'll be able to power it up two more times when your trainer level goes up again.  The main reason to put off powering up is to not waste stardust since you'll probably catch or hatch a better Pokemon later.  But if you already have a good Pokemon that you want to power up, just go for it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:36:53 pm by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

If you're concerned about IVs, level 20 is basically when it's OK to start using stardust.  This is because hatched Pokemon are more likely to have good IVs and the level of hatches is capped at 20.

I'm level 29 now and still haven't really powered anything up.  I think I'm going to put some stardust into a couple now though.  I've got Victreebel and Machamp with decent IVs and (more importantly) the moveset I want.  I've been using them without powering them up for a while now but I feel like it'll be worth powering up the Victreebel especially so it'll run over all the Water-types in gyms more easily.  I also have a good Vileplume, but I'm going to leave it where it is for the purpose of training gyms (you get more prestige from training when you win with a Pokemon of lower CP).  I'm holding off on powering up my Mud Shot Golem for the same reason.

Powering up works the same way no matter what level you're at.  Your level only means you can power up more.  If you max out a Pokemon now, you'll be able to power it up two more times when your trainer level goes up again.  The main reason to put off powering up is to not waste stardust since you'll probably catch or hatch a better Pokemon later.  But if you already have a good Pokemon that you want to power up, just go for it.

So I've put stardust mainly into Vaporeons, Arcanines, Exeggutors; also my one Dragonite and Gyarados.

The reason I powered these up is because they have high CP caps, and therefore can sit highest up in gyms. My wife and I like to drive around looking for same-color gyms that are level 6 or higher. Once we both add pokemon to them, they're boosted to at least level 8. Doing this, and finding certain pockets with high level gyms around our city, we've been able to to keep 6-10 gyms on a regular basis. Then you get a lot more stardust every day, and can power up more things. I'm level 28 and I've got my top 10 pokemon maxed out or close, all over 2100.

It seems like it's harder for you to do the same thing where you live and that gyms don't stick around as long. We've had a lot more success on the outside of the metro area; very little success getting gyms to stick either where we live or anywhere close to downtown, or anywhere close to popular pokemon hotspots.

Anyway, yeah, get the gyms, then you don't have to be as conservative with stardust, and sitting high up in the gym seems like the most important thing to me at this time, so I just try to get stuff with a high max CP.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:02 pm »

I will say that I think Exeggutor is the best easily attainable pokemon in the game. It beats almost anything at the same CP level in a straight fight except Arcanine and maybe dragonite. Even against dragonite it's good with its STAB psychic moves.

My least favorite thing to do is try to power up a gym where Exeggutor is the bottom pokemon you have to fight first. That's a slog.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2016, 08:17:51 am »

Just want to make sure I understand the concept of gyms.

I fought a fellow blue gym yesterday at lunch and increased the gym level so I could put someone in. I got my 10 coins. I got kicked out not too long after that, but that’s no surprise.

This morning, I stopped at a blue gym that had an empty spot and put a Pokemon in there. If he is still there in an hour (21 hours after my previous fight), I’ll get another 10 coins.

I work within walking distance of two (currently) blue gyms. If I had the time to stop at those and fight them to open spots this morning and kept them there, then I could theoretically get 30 coins in an hour. Do I understand that correctly?

So it may be a viable tactic to travel to various gyms 20 hours into the countdown to try to prop up Pokemon where possible? Just making sure I understand the concept.

PS, iguana2, what team are you on? I think I read that it’s not blue, which means I can’t join you on gym-busting, but maybe we can do a Plaza walk sometime. Apparently, people are getting really good stuff in the P&L District.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:10 pm »

You can collect every 21 hours. For each gym you are in at that time you get coins and stardust.  So yeah, it's more worthwhile to take opposing gyms right before you plan to collect.

I'm in a suburban area but I think there are a few stubborn players who are busting down gyms before they get to level 8+ (I am also one of those players). I set up a full level 7 gym last night, but now it's level 6 in a different colour. Sitting on top of gyms isn't an issue for me. Even without stardust I'm pretty much never lower than third, and I find it rare that people will knock out a couple levels without finishing the job. This is why the 1000cp Jolteon in my single level 10 gym is still there despite being so weak.

Edit: I think Lapras is the strongest defender, whether you're training or just attacking. At least with Exeggutor there's a double Bug weakness to take advantage of and several viable Fire types. I've got nothing that can reliably take Lapras. I find Hypno annoying to train against too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:24:37 pm by eHalcyon »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:03 pm »

So my wife is asking questions that I'm not certain of. I think I understand the concept, and I've been toying with online calculators to figure it out.

It seems like evolving lower-CP Pokemon is useless (unless you're going for XP). Looking at the online calculators, it looks like if you evolve a low-level critter, you get another low-level critter. So I should look for high IVs AND a high level already unless I want to spend lots of stardust and candy. Is that what everyone else does?
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

It really depends on what you want t do.  When you evolve something, the level and IVs remain the same, but the Pokemon's base stats change (almost always going up) and the moves will get re-rolled (and sometimes the evolved Pokemon has different move possibilities).  Because the base stats go up, evolving will pretty much always make the Pokemon stronger.

If you want the strongest Pokemon possible eventually, then IVs are the main concern.  You can always raise their level later (by powering them up via stardust investment).  If you want strong Pokemon now and don't plan to power them up, then IVs don't really matter and you can just evolve your highest CP one.

In practice, it's probably best to go for a mix depending on what Pokemon are common in your region and which ones you want to use.  Aside from all the mass evolution fodder, I'm mostly reserving evolution of uncommon/rare and powerful Pokemon for those with decent IVs, which usually means hatched Pokemon.  For common ones that are decently strong, I'm still waiting for high IVs but I'll also use excess candy to evolve some high CP ones too.  For example, I have tons of Nidoran (both male and female), Clefairy and Drowzee candy, so I've evolved a few of each based solely on CP.  I'm not going to power them up, but they're useful for attacking and holding gyms now and again.  I still have plenty of candy remaining in case I ever get a great specimen.

These aren't strict rules, of course.  I've evolved some Pokemon with 80ish IVs rather than waiting for 90+.  My Victreebel is 87% but I've invested some stardust into it now because it has the best moveset and evolving another one is an unnecessary gamble.

tl;dr - it's ideal to get one with high IVs AND high level, but it's not really practical because it's tough to find both.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2016, 06:27:30 pm »

Hmm, yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
+2

Just caught that 93% IV bellsprout (with relatively good cp when I caught it) I have been waiting for. Evolved it and now have a 93% IV Victreebel with razor leaf and solar beam. Very happy about it. Planning on maxing it out, just need more candy after using 125 to evolve.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2016, 08:16:53 am »

Am I correct that the vast majority of captured Pokemon should just be ground into candy? 

I'm only level 12 via catching stuff, live in a Zubat area.  Ive read it's not worth doing anything with Pokemon until level 20 or so.

Edit: my best are a 714 Pincir and a 512 Tentacruel, for reference.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:44 am »

I’ve read that too, asherky. Now that I’m nearing level 23, I think I can concur. I still don’t feel like I fully understand everything, but I’m farther along.

One thing to note is that the Pokemon I caught prior to level 20 are pretty much useless to me right now. I don’t use them in gym battles. I still sometimes use my 784-CP Jolteon because he’s my strongest electric Pokemon (with both his attacks being electric). He also has a great IV score that ranks him as a wonder. But he’s much lower level than me, and it would take a lot to raise his level. So I’m putting that off because I want to get a Jolteon with a great IV score that takes very little to power up.

On the other hand, my best Vaporeon has a high IV score, it has the oft-lauded same-type attack bonus, and I got him at a fairly high level. I still had to power him up, but it wasn’t overly expensive to get him to the 1865 CP that he is now.

I still hang onto some of those wonders from my early levels. I have a 941-CP Tauros that’s a wonder that I want to build up, but I have higher-level Tauroses that would be cheaper to power up, but they are not wonders. I’m still not wholly sure what to do with them. I still have plenty of Stardust, but I can see where it can be depleted pretty quickly, so I’m cautious in my power-ups. I’ve only powered up that Vapereon and a Golbat that has same-type attack bonuses with his flying attacks. I’ve been reticent to power up anything else.

But I think that the decision to not power up anything until level 20 is a good one. My wife, who started before me and didn’t get the recommendations I did, is very low on stardust. She powered up her favorites early on. I’m still doing very well in Stardust and waited. I think it wasn’t until I was level 21 that I powered up my Vaporeon. No regrets.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2016, 09:12:54 am »

Oh yes, and the big thing I noticed is that it’s quick to level up at lower levels (typical of these games), so it’s easy to outlevel the Pokemon you captured at those levels. I’ve been trudging through 100k to get from 22 to 23. I saw a screen shot of a level 26 that needed 200k to advance.

So, level 20+ is a slow zone, so it’ll take you a lot longer to outlevel your Pokemon. And if you do, then it doesn’t take much to bring them back up (or so I assume).

Level 19 felt pretty slow too. I guess as soon as you find yourself spending several days on the same level, you’ve hit the spot where you’re no longer in danger of outleveling your menagerie.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2016, 09:35:41 am »

I'm guessing just being a wonder isn't enough to warrant caring?  My 99 CP Goldeen is a wonder with Attack/HP equally tops.  But in the end, it's worthless, right?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2016, 09:48:44 am »

I'm guessing just being a wonder isn't enough to warrant caring?  My 99 CP Goldeen is a wonder with Attack/HP equally tops.  But in the end, it's worthless, right?

This is where it becomes more speculative for me, and you should rely on someone refuting or supporting my claim.

I believe that the IV carries over to the evolution, so your Goldeen is a wonder now and will continue to be a wonder if you choose to evolve it. But it will be at a lower level. It would be wimpy right away, but you could pump stardust and candy into it until it’s max level, but it sounds like it would take a lot more than if you found a Goldeen at higher CP. So in that case, it’s potentially not worthless, but it would be expensive. It might be better to wait for another Goldeen that’s also a wonder but higher?

But from what I’ve been told (mostly here), the same-type attack bonus (STAB) is a bigger factor. If the attack is the same type as the monster, then that attack does 25%(?) more. That’s why my Vapereon is pretty tough. He’s water, and both his attack types are water. I see a difference, especially when I attack fire and rock monsters.

The STAB is also why I’m reluctant to advance just any of my Pokemon. I want to advance only the ones that’ll do some serious damage, and I see how STAB may be the way to go.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2016, 11:59:27 am »

So this sounds interesting. I hatched a 10k egg, and it was a Jynx. I never saw one before, so I looked it up. Apparently it’s only available in 10k eggs? All righty then.

It’s a wonder, and it’s got 964 CP. Someone said on here that their max level is 20 from eggs, which is what the IV calculator says it is.

So it seems like this may be worth powering up. It has the perfect STAB with an ice fast attack and a psychic charged attack, both of which match its type. I’m guessing I can’t power it up to the 2k CP levels that I’ve been seeing, but then again, none of my guys are that high anyway.
A man has no signature

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »

So this sounds interesting. I hatched a 10k egg, and it was a Jynx. I never saw one before, so I looked it up. Apparently it’s only available in 10k eggs? All righty then.

It’s a wonder, and it’s got 964 CP. Someone said on here that their max level is 20 from eggs, which is what the IV calculator says it is.

So it seems like this may be worth powering up. It has the perfect STAB with an ice fast attack and a psychic charged attack, both of which match its type. I’m guessing I can’t power it up to the 2k CP levels that I’ve been seeing, but then again, none of my guys are that high anyway.

Jynx has a very low max-CP, and does not evolve, which makes it a poor choice to power up unfortunately.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »

Jynx has a very low max-CP, and does not evolve, which makes it a poor choice to power up unfortunately.

*sad trombone*

Well, that's why I ask around first. I was so excited too.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »

Probably not worth powering up.  Seaking just isn't very strong, and the investment to get that Goldeen levelled up is extremely high.  And Seaking currently doesn't get a single Water-type attack.

Re: STAB, it is very important at this time, but that doesn't mean it will always stay that way.  I actually hope that Niantic will adjust the multipliers so that type effectiveness has a bigger impact than STAB (in the real games, it's 2x for super effective, 1.5x for STAB; in PoGo right now it's 1.25x for either).  That way, more moves will have some niche uses rather than being subpar (almost) every time.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:50 pm »
+1

So I've been taking my magic carp for a walk. Got 2k out of him. But he's only a carp, so I guess I've been taking him for a drag.

But that's cool. I need more carp candies.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:13 am »

So what do you spend coins on? I’m only getting 10 a day since gyms downtown have such a high turnover rate. I had one gym last the full 21 hours, and that was out in the suburbs. And the game was down during the time when I could have gotten other gyms to see more than 10 coins that day. *shakes tiny fist*

It’s slow going, but I’m steadily building up a coin bank. Trying to figure out what is best to spend them on.

• Storage expansion: Seems an obvious choice, but I’m not lamenting my storage options now. I sit on a Poke Stop at work, so I hit the 350 limit easily, but when I go out and catch Pokemon, I don’t feel like I didn’t have enough. So I’m thinking not a high priority for me.
  • Incense/Lure: So these are good for increasing the appearance of Pokemon, but they don’t seem to be that impressive. When I use them, I tend to see common crap showing up. I did use an incense once when walking with my nephews, and the three-headed bird appeared just for me, so that was pretty special. Do cool things show up frequently enough to make these worth pursuing?
  • Balls: Seems like a bad plan. Anything I can get from a Poke Stop I shouldn’t need to buy, especially since they’re not even upgraded.
  • Incubator: Considering the cost of this, I don’t feel this is a great deal, but I guess eggs have a greater chance of having high IV scores, so maybe hatching more of them would be a goal worth pursuing?
  • Lucky Egg: I’m leaning toward this, but I could be talked out of it. Assuming I can evolve 60 Pokemon in a 30-minute period, a Lucky Egg can be worth a free 30k XP. At 23rd level, this is a small dent in the XP needed, but it’s a bigger jump than catching Pokemon. Ideally, I should save up for the 8-pack, but that’s going to be slow going at 10 coins/day. I’m not even going to pretend I can save up for the 25-pack. Maybe if I find a way to pop into five gyms each day, but I doubt it.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

From what I've seen, the general recommendation I've seen is that there's only really two main things worth spending coins on, and that's Lucy Eggs and Incubators. Lucky Eggs are of course wads and wads of EXP, while Incubators mean a few more egg pokemon, which themselves are pretty valuable (lots of candies, higher IVs, often higher level). On top of that, time 9 egg incubators to all hatch at the same time an Egg is active, and you can get a LOT of extra EXP.

This video is worth a look for the first 1-2 minutes, as it answers this question.

Item storage is also worth considering depending on your location and pokestop availability, but basically it comes down to this: Would that extra storage actually be useful? Are you regularly both hitting your storage cap AND using most or all of your items? If you aren't doing both, the extra storage doesn't really help very much - you might be regularly capping from sitting on a pokestop at work, but if you don't get to use all of the stuff you pick up from that, well, you're still going to have the exact same problem, just with more stuff left over.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »

back when i played (i remember like it was yesterday) i used an old google play gift card i had and bought incubator, lucky egg and incense. popping a lucky egg/incense seems like the superbest way to level quickly (common garbagemons don't give any less exp than the cool ones because of how much you get from evolution) but incubators seemed to be the best way to try to get a bunch of different cool ones
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.