Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76672 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »

My advice: don't spend stardust until you reach level 25.

I'm currently level 10. I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Also, I just learned that Pokemon Go does actually use IVs to determine CP:

http://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/combatpoints.shtml

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »

I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Yes
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »

I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Yes

Question for the experienced -  how big a gulf can be overcome by good match up and/or player skill?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »
+1

Yes

Question for the experienced -  how big a gulf can be overcome by good match up and/or player skill?

Not much, is my experience. (I am mediocre experienced.)

What is true, though, is that you can attack a gym together with a friend if you are both from the same team and you attack the gymleader's pokemon at the same time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

What is true, though, is that you can attack a gym together with a friend if you are both from the same team and you attack the gymleader's pokemon at the same time.

That's some Team Rocket stuff right there.  Lends credence to the theory that we're all actually evil teams (I mean, we're engaging in turf wars and all).

I'm level 15 now.  Still don't have any Pokemon above 650CP.  Also, my bag is perpetually full and I'm tossing away stuff so that I have a chance to spin an incubator or other rare item.  Still saving up Pidgey and the like for a Lucky Egg spree.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:20 pm »

I have friends that use the words "Pidgey" and "Dragonite" in the same sentence and I am like whut. Most and least common first gen pokemon, is the balance completely different from the original games?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:18 pm »
+2

I have friends that use the words "Pidgey" and "Dragonite" in the same sentence and I am like whut. Most and least common first gen pokemon, is the balance completely different from the original games?

Pidgey are the best Pokemon for grinding your level out in this game. You get a huge bonus from evolving Pokemon, Pidgey evolves really fast, and Pidgey are all over the place.

I haven't even seen a Dratini yet, personally. Have seen people with Dragonite on gyms, though. (Even after playing since the day of release, I haven't been able to beat a single Pokemon in a gym...)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 12:16:00 am »

Pidgey are the best Pokemon for grinding your level out in this game. You get a huge bonus from evolving Pokemon, Pidgey evolves really fast, and Pidgey are all over the place.

I haven't even seen a Dratini yet, personally. Have seen people with Dragonite on gyms, though. (Even after playing since the day of release, I haven't been able to beat a single Pokemon in a gym...)

I'll remember this if I ever play. Chances are though, that I'll just be wiped out if I started now. I'm already too behind to even bother.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 12:29:39 am »

I'll remember this if I ever play. Chances are though, that I'll just be wiped out if I started now. I'm already too behind to even bother.

If you have friends who are playing, they can help you out.  And it's not as bad as it seems.  You can defeat much much powerful opponents because of the way the system works.  Even if you lose the battle, you can still chip away at gyms.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 10:42:09 am »

The 'if you start later, you are behind' is real, but there are mechanisms to mitigate this. That said, I think it's still pretty large.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2016, 10:48:55 am »

I started two weeks ago and I am level 22. At level 22, it takes 100,000 experience to get to level 23, and it starts going up exponentially from there. At level 30, it is absolute hell to get to level 31. Getting to level 20 is relatively easy. Play a few nights a week for a month and you're there.

I wouldn't say the experience gap is a big deal at all. When you're level 10, you should just focus on catching more rare pokemon, don't evolve any rare pokemon that you catch, and don't spend any of your stardust.

By the time you're level 20, it takes so long to level up each time that you can choose a few rare pokemon to fully evolve and push to max CP, then just keep them maxed on CP every time you level up.

By the time you're level 25-30, you should easily have 6 pokemon on your team that are at max CP, and start looking into swapping out your weaker team members for new pokemon that you are evolving or catching.

It's a good structure, and it's been overly criticized a lot. The high level thresholds starting at level 25 do a lot to even the playing field for people who didn't start on Day one. Getting gyms is very easy, so collecting in game money to spend on egg incubators and lucky eggs is actually not that hard (maybe a little slow). Personally, my wife and I both spent 10 dollars on the game to jump start into the higher levels and now we can take gyms easily and easily get 50 game coins a day from the gym bonus.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2016, 10:51:43 am »
+1

They are talking about pidgeys as common experience food, and dragonite as the most powerful pokemon in the game. Both are highly discussed, but one because its easy to get and part of the grind and the other because it is rare and coveted. Dragonite is currently the strongest achievable pokemon in the game. Snorlax is second strongest for whatever reason.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:58 am »

It's possible to catch a dragonite in the wild. I was looking at https://pokevision.com/ online and once saw a dragonite, once saw a gyarados in my downtown region. Of course I was nowhere nearby. Some people have also found nests where they frequently spawn and farm the nests to level up their dragonites/whatevers.

For snorlax, Lapras, etc as far as I can tell you either have to get lucky and find a nest, or get lucky and hatch a strong one from a 10k egg.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:22 am »

That's some Team Rocket stuff right there.  Lends credence to the theory that we're all actually evil teams (I mean, we're engaging in turf wars and all).

I'm level 15 now.  Still don't have any Pokemon above 650CP.  Also, my bag is perpetually full and I'm tossing away stuff so that I have a chance to spin an incubator or other rare item.  Still saving up Pidgey and the like for a Lucky Egg spree.

You can't get incubators from pokestops, just eggs, and only if you currently have less than nine. You get two incubators every time you hit multiple-of-5 level. (10, 15, 20, 25, etc)

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 10:58:22 am »

Yes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/15/pokemon-gos-biggest-secret-type-is-way-more-important-than-cp/#51b5d0c818b0

This article is mostly correct and fairly informative about how to beat gyms.

You can collect in game money once every 21 hours by hitting collect defender bonus now on the top right corner of your store. It will give you 10 game coins for each gym that you own. You can get a max of 10 gyms, so up to 1 dollar a day.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:35 am »

You can't get incubators from pokestops, just eggs, and only if you currently have less than nine. You get two incubators every time you hit multiple-of-5 level. (10, 15, 20, 25, etc)

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

I'm pretty sure this is false? Or used to be anyway. In any case, a friend and I once beat a gym together, and even though all my Pokemon were knocked out before he finished it, I still got the benefits of beating it (by staying on the battle screen).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/15/pokemon-gos-biggest-secret-type-is-way-more-important-than-cp/#51b5d0c818b0

This article is mostly correct and fairly informative about how to beat gyms.

I don't think that's accurate either. Type advantage in Pokemon Go is only x1.2, I believe, rather than x2 in the actual video games. That's nowhere near enough to make up for a vast CP gulf.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:25:48 am by LastFootnote »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:45 pm »

What is correct in the articleis that the computer AI is so terrible that a decent 1000 co Pokémoncan easily defeat a 1500 co one

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »

Also if you only beat part of the gym, you still get a portion of the benefit. Polly what was going on with that gym battle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »

You only get 1 incubator at each multiple of 5 level. Hmm, I read in various articles that lucky eggs and incubators were rare possibilities, but maybe this is just a rumour born of trolling and misunderstanding.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »

You only get 1 incubator at each multiple of 5 level. Hmm, I read in various articles that lucky eggs and incubators were rare possibilities, but maybe this is just a rumour born of trolling and misunderstanding.

That may be true for 5, 10, 15. The only one I remember is 20, because that was actually hard to achieve. I got 2 incubators at 20. I believe you get  2 at 25 as well.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:23 pm »

Destroying stuff to get better stuff at pokestops is a thing though. I usually destroy revives, to get a higher density of great/ultra balls and hyper potions.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »

Destroying stuff to get better stuff at pokestops is a thing though. I usually destroy revives, to get a higher density of great/ultra balls and hyper potions.

What do you mean by destroying stuff?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:14 pm »

What do you mean by destroying stuff?

Tossing items. I'm doing that too...

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

When you say "rare pokemon spawning" do you mean the not-actually-rare Pokemon like Eevee?  I don't think anybody who's played 3+ days thinks that Eevee are rare.  Even if they don't see wild Eevee themselves, surely they see the Vaporeon in every gym.

I'm tossing items mainly during the times where I'm close to a pokestop but not actively running around playing the game, especially when I'm out in the suburbs or somewhere else with lower spawn rates.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:58:44 pm by eHalcyon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.