Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76660 times)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

When you say "rare pokemon spawning" do you mean the not-actually-rare Pokemon like Eevee?  I don't think anybody who's played 3+ days thinks that Eevee are rare.  Even if they don't see wild Eevee themselves, surely they see the Vaporeon in every gym.

I'm tossing items mainly during the times where I'm close to a pokestop but not actively running around playing the game, especially when I'm out in the suburbs or somewhere else with lower spawn rates.

I mean semi-rares like Growlithe, Pikachu, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Oddish, Gastly, Clefairy, Jigglypuff etc. etc. etc

Whether Eevee is common or rare in your area has a lot to do with where you live. Eevees spawn more in heavily urban areas and not so much in suburbs, so I try to tell people who think that Eevee is rare to go downtown. I've run into a lot of people who say things like "How does everyone have such a strong vaporeon? I can't even get 25 eevee candy!"
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »

by "exponentially" you probably mean "more than linearly"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »

Actually, I've noticed Eevee to be more common in suburban areas, near fields.  Likewise, I've caught more Bellsprout and Oddish in suburban areas.  I've only seen a Vulpix silhouette once, and that was suburban too.

Pikachu seems to be rare where I live, even in the more urban areas, except for this one specific path.  Outside of that path, I've only seen suburban Pikachu (though rarely).  It's almost certainly not just that one path, of course, but that's the only area I've been where Pikachu is any sort of common or consistent.

I think your advice is going to be very specific to your area.  There may be some general patterns, but different cities will have some of their own quirks.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »

by "exponentially" you probably mean "more than linearly"?

I mean exponentially. There's a chart somewhere.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 07:43:06 am »
+2

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

When you say "rare pokemon spawning" do you mean the not-actually-rare Pokemon like Eevee?  I don't think anybody who's played 3+ days thinks that Eevee are rare.  Even if they don't see wild Eevee themselves, surely they see the Vaporeon in every gym.

I'm tossing items mainly during the times where I'm close to a pokestop but not actively running around playing the game, especially when I'm out in the suburbs or somewhere else with lower spawn rates.

I mean semi-rares like Growlithe, Pikachu, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Oddish, Gastly, Clefairy, Jigglypuff etc. etc. etc

Whether Eevee is common or rare in your area has a lot to do with where you live. Eevees spawn more in heavily urban areas and not so much in suburbs, so I try to tell people who think that Eevee is rare to go downtown. I've run into a lot of people who say things like "How does everyone have such a strong vaporeon? I can't even get 25 eevee candy!"

My wife needs to know the good places for the semi-rares. She mostly gets bats and pigeons downtown. But she was happy with her Eevee, so she apparently wandered into an Eevee herd somewhere.

She chides me for taking the highway through downtown, but she's getting pretty good at catching things at 50 MPH.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 05:57:27 pm »

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

I can confirm that you DO actually team-battle the gyms.  There's evidence online, and I've seen it myself where somebody else's Pokemon appears in the arena and also attacks the defending the Pokemon.

So I'm level 20 now and starting to consider powering up some pokemon on my own.  I'm finding the IV system in Go way more frustrating than in the regular games, mostly because of the hidden level.  I hate that they use the semi-circle slider instead of just giving us an actual number for a Pokemon's current level.  I can power something up once or twice to see when stardust requirements change and all, but it somehow feels way more tedious than what I do in the regular games.  It's probably just unfamiliarity with the system, but it still bugs me.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 07:21:30 pm »

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

I can confirm that you DO actually team-battle the gyms.  There's evidence online, and I've seen it myself where somebody else's Pokemon appears in the arena and also attacks the defending the Pokemon.

So I'm level 20 now and starting to consider powering up some pokemon on my own.  I'm finding the IV system in Go way more frustrating than in the regular games, mostly because of the hidden level.  I hate that they use the semi-circle slider instead of just giving us an actual number for a Pokemon's current level.  I can power something up once or twice to see when stardust requirements change and all, but it somehow feels way more tedious than what I do in the regular games.  It's probably just unfamiliarity with the system, but it still bugs me.

Yep, I was wrong.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »

PokeAssistant.com is nice for IV calculations, but it gives you a range and sometimes a really wide range.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2016, 04:05:56 am »

PokeAssistant.com is nice for IV calculations, but it gives you a range and sometimes a really wide range.

I've been using the one on Silph Road. Still annoyed by the hidden level though.

I hatched my second 10k egg today. It was an Eevee.  :'(

On the bright side, it's my highest CP Eevee and seems to have decent IVs. Might finally get a Vaporeon of my own.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2016, 10:48:45 am »

I've been using the one on Silph Road. Still annoyed by the hidden level though.

I hatched my second 10k egg today. It was an Eevee.  :'(

On the bright side, it's my highest CP Eevee and seems to have decent IVs. Might finally get a Vaporeon of my own.

Protip: If you want vaporeon, name the Eevee Rainer. (And Sparky for Jolteon, and Pyro for Flareon.)
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2016, 10:58:19 am »
+1

Yep, I know that one. Wondering if there are other secrets though, like... Evolve Slowpoke for free by battling against a Shellder! Nickname your Rattata Joey and it deals bonus damage!  Electric types are more common while your phone battery is 100% charged!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »
+4

Yep, I know that one. Wondering if there are other secrets though, like... Evolve Slowpoke for free by battling against a Shellder! Nickname your Rattata Joey and it deals bonus damage!  Electric types are more common while your phone battery is 100% charged!

Wear shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear, and you'll find more Ekans and Rattatas!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:19 am »
+1

It is a lot easier to get into gyms than I expected.  I'm currently in four (personal record!) and my Pokemon aren't particularly strong (still haven't powered anything up).

Early afternoon, I went to a dog park that was a verified Dratini nest.  Unfortunately for me, the nests started changing yesterday.  Apparently there were still Dratini there last night, but no longer.  I believe it's Clefairy now, of which I already have a plethora.  On the bright side, I ran into my first Snorlax.  But it's only cp321 so not very useful for anything.  While I was there, I took down a low-level gym and installed a CP1052 Hypno.  Since it was right by a duck-filled pond, I nicknamed the Hypno Quackers.  Shortly afterwards, two more Pokemon joined my gym with like 800-900 Flareon and Vaporeon or something like that.  Maybe it's been reinforced further since then; I can only hope.

On the way back from the park, I detoured to a gated community with a gym out front.  It was already red so I spent some time training it up.  It took way longer than it should have... I was using a cp1095 Cloyster with Frost Breath and Blizzard against two Golbat and a Snorlax, and I only reached Snorlax once.  Blizzard damage is super delayed or it was glitching out because it didn't seem to land until like 5 seconds after the animation had already completed.  Anyway, I got it up to level 4 and left cp994 Boba the Hypno.  I think it was higher CP than both Golbat but not the Snorlax.  Maybe that one has been reinforced too.

Those two have held on all day.  I've joined and quickly lost a few others.  The recent two I just grabbed on the way home.  One was a cp839 Magmar that went into a church gym that was previously Instinct (uh, as of now Magmar has returned home so I'm down to 3).  The other was a random road-side gym that just had a free space open, so I put in cp895 Dry Bones the Kingler (who knows no Water-type attacks).

My ambition is to get strong enough to join the gym closest to where I live, which is currently level 7 with 26k prestige and a cp1074 Lapras in the first slot.  It's been like that for about 4 days now, I think.  If I can get in there, it would probably continue to hold for a long time.  I tried training there though and could barely make a dent in the Lapras.  It would have taken all day to get in there.  Might be time I actually powered something up. :P

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2016, 11:51:49 am »

My wife and I tried last night to get a level 8 gym to level 10 so we could add our stuff, and blew through all our potions trying. Seems like if you want level 10 gyms, you should bring ten people all at once to work together on it. The experience thresholds are just too high.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2016, 01:57:31 pm »

I have basically run out of Pokeballs, and I don't encounter Stops in any of the places I go on a regular basis, so the game's pretty much dead for me. (No, it's not good enough to spend money on) Conceptually I think the game's a lot of fun, but it's very prone to crashing and very inconvenient to track steps with since the screen times out so soon. I think I'm done with it.  When I was in middle and high school I would have loved this. (assuming bugs get fixed) Perhaps the most upsetting issue with the game is how it randomly decides I threw a curve ball and causes me to waste balls. I don't think I have ever landed a curve shot, and even if I could develop the skill, since I don't know one is coming it's pointless. I got around 50 Pokemon during the time I played, and didn't encounter many silhouettes I couldn't track down. I don't think I ever encountered a Rock, Electric, Fighting, Psychic, or Fire type. (Ice and Dragon were rare in Gen 1 anyway, so not surprised by that) I managed to beat 2 Pokemon in a gym that were a few hundred CP above me by dodging and stuff, but the level 1200ish Nidoqueen afterward smashed all of my guys in one hit. So much for that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:01:00 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:15 pm »

Niantic just cracked down on Pokévision and also entirely removed steps rather than fixing the 3-step bug. I have deleted Pokémon Go, as it has now been reduced to a Pidgey-catching engine. Zzzz…

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2016, 08:19:24 pm »

Niantic just cracked down on Pokévision and also entirely removed steps rather than fixing the 3-step bug. I have deleted Pokémon Go, as it has now been reduced to a Pidgey-catching engine. Zzzz…

I'm holding out hope that they'll do something to fix the issue. It sort of helps that I never had footprints working to begin with, do I don't know what I'm missing. For now, I'll exercise patience even though lack of tracking has lost me a Chansey, a Snorlax and 2 Kadabra.

My two mediocre Hypno continue to hold onto their gyms. I wonder if rage-quitting players has anything to do with that.

@jsh you do curve balls by spinning the ball before throwing it. It's surprisingly easy to do well. I personally spin clockwise so I toss from the right side of the screen at 20-45 degrees depending on how far the Pokemon appears to be. The lack of pokestops is really unfortunate. I have spent no money on the game and have actually trashed dozens of pokeballs just for a chance at more great balls and ultra balls.

Losing a battle still nets you experience and affects the gym prestige. As long as you can defeat one Pokemon, you can chip away. It may not be reasonable to do so though, like that level 7 gym where I could only barely beat the Lapras to net like +75 prestige. It's just too much. But it's easier if you're attacking another team's gym. Like, if this level 7 gym was blue or yellow, I would actually consider wearing it down with my current roster.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »
+3

You're too late; I already uninstalled it. Now I can go back to trolling Dominion forums while waiting for the bus again.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »

My ambition is to get strong enough to join the gym closest to where I live, which is currently level 7 with 26k prestige and a cp1074 Lapras in the first slot.  It's been like that for about 4 days now, I think.  If I can get in there, it would probably continue to hold for a long time.

So I got into this gym this morning, but only because it had been taken down overnight.  It was blue before I cleared it out again.  Not sure of its status now since the Pokemon I left there has returned.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 09:29:52 pm »

Drove an extra 3 miles out of my way so my wife could stock up on Pokeballs. This game is bad for the environment, man.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

Drove an extra 3 miles out of my way so my wife could stock up on Pokeballs. This game is bad for the environment, man.

uw :(

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 07:57:25 am »

Math quiz: How many miles do you have to drive for it to have been cheaper to just buy the Pokeballs?

Hint: you get ~3 per Pokestop on average and 20 Pokeballs for $1 online, so this entirely depends on how many stops were in that 3 mile detour (or 6 mile round trip?) and the mileage of your car.

The good news for me is, I just got a new Prius, so a six mile round trip is like 25 cents for me.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:04 am »

I only get 40 mpg, but it's not terrible. I went through downtown, so the mileage was considerably lower.

But it made for a happy wife, so I'm okay with burning up a dead dinosaur for that.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:43 am »

I only get 40 mpg, but it's not terrible. I went through downtown, so the mileage was considerably lower.

But it made for a happy wife, so I'm okay with burning up a dead dinosaur for that.

I wonder if that calculation is linear

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »

I've been back in my hometown for the last few days (did anyone miss me?) and we have played some Pokemon Go on her phone. Overall, I'm fairly unimpressed. The gameplay feels entirely grindy with no real goal or purpose at the end - you level up to get better stuff to level up some more, to catch more pokemon, and that feels like it's really it. I was impressed by a few things - even in my dinky hometown there's about 5 gyms and 20+ pokestops, although most are right in the city centre with the residential areas being mostly empty. Small villages around also have 4-6 pokestops and often a gym. I was expecting the game to be a lot more empty in less urban areas but they've done a really good job populating the world with stops and gyms. I'm sure it isn't perfect but hey, it's pretty good. The chance to catch pokemon feels really low - I'd often have to hit rattatas and pidgeys with 3+ pokeballs, even ones with just 10 cp, and after using a Razz Berry as well.

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters. The nearby pokemon feature would normally be full of just these 5 pokemon, plus the occasional Drowzee and Eevee which probably makes up another 5-10% of pokemon. That means of the 151 pokemon in the game - well probably more like 146 discounting legendaries and stuff - the majority is just way too rare. Yeah, I know it has to be uncommon to give the game some longevity, but it feels way too much, and its really repetitive. My sister has been playing about two weeks and has only caught just over 40 different pokemon - less than 1/3rd of available ones, after two weeks. Even sillier is the levelling system feels backwards - catching rarer or harder to catch pokemon gives no real reward over common ones, except the first time bonus, so once you've caught one e.g. Hitmonlee, catching a second one is probably a waste of balls, unless you want to power it up. Maybe the plan is that once gen 2+ comes out it'll mostly be the common pokemon whose catch rates are dropped, and the rare pokemons appearance rate is based on what they'll need to be with all seven gens - but who knows?

Also, battles and gyms. The game seems to give really bad info on what each move does, and really the only way to know is to use it and work it out. Battles feel pretty bland, and gyms just feel kinda pointless. We only found out today what it actually does to have a pokemon in one - so basically the gym game is, go take 1 or 2 gyms over if possible, hit coin bonus button, not care about gyms at all for another day. Um yay?

In short... yeah, I don't feel like there's really too much here that's interesting. I'm not surprised the game gained traction - it's a really fun, cool idea. But I had no interest in playing before, and having messed around with the game, I can't say I'm interested in downloading it myself.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.