Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76654 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »

Stealth Rock breaks everything

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. Were you around for the Gen 5 Weather Wars? Now THAT was complete and utter bullshit.

I played a little 5th gen but most of my experience was 4th gen.  And yeah weather was ridiculous in 5th gen.  But SR was awful too.  Otherwise solid Pokemon became only okay because they were weak to rock.  There should not be a single move that makes you care that much about one weakness.  Being 4x weak to rock made a Pokemon almost automatically unusable (uh, not Ho-oh, who was still uber I think).  Yanmega would have been great but was mediocre because of it basically played the game with half its HP.

Like, just think about the fact that Ghost-types got referred to as spin-blockers.  That's like, having Stealth Rock is so important that it's considered good to have a counter to a move that does nothing but counter it.

But I don't have enough knowledge of 5th gen to know how it really compares to the weather problems, so I won't argue that it was any worse than that.  The fact that Drizzle+Swift Swim had to be banned is pretty telling.

For a level 100 Mew (stats of 100 across the board) with a Docile nature (no + or - to any stats), max IVs gives 341 HP and 236 for everything else.  0 IVs gives 310 HP and 205 for everything else.  So it looks like each IV is exactly 1 more point for the stat at level 100.

At level 50, max IVs gives 175 HP and 120, and 0 IVs gives 160 HP and 105.  So in that case, each IV is only worth half a stat point.  I believe official matches are typically capped at level 50.

With positive natures, the differences are multiplied by 1.1, so IVs can make a maximum of 34 points difference in a stat at level 100 or 17 points at level 50.  This can be further multiplied by various items or other boosting effects.

I'm not an expert but this doesn't sound like that big a deal usually.  Sometimes it can mean the difference between fainting and a clutch survival, but it seems like small potatoes to me.  The one big exception to this is Speed.  Whoever is faster goes first, so even a single point of increase can make the difference.

This sounds like an accurate summary of IV's.  1 IV corresponds to 1 stat point (or 1.1 or 0.9 depending on personality) at level 100, which isn't usually meaningful.  But it completely changes the way Speed works (for better or for worse; probably for worse since it means more grinding is required for optimal play), because you usually aim for very specific values for your Speed stat to make sure you beat certain other Pokemon.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »
+1

Rain Teams were insane. Send in a Vaporeon with Hydration and leftovers, and you can never ever kill it. Poisoning it does nothing, since it heals in the rain. It has so much defense and HP that it's impossible to kill. Then the Vaporeon just has Rest, Protect/some move, Hydro Pump, and Toxic. It's so unkillable. I would know, because I used to run it. I wasn't a very great player, and I won games with it singlehandedly.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »
+1

Fainting vs clutch survival is actually very significant, since clutch survival guarantees your counterattack goes off that turn, and OHKOs let you keep your Pokemon healthy.

You can play Pokemon competitively, but there are competitive games that are a lot more fun to play.

What I mean is that instances of that happening seem low to me. Absolutely it's a big deal when it does.  I may be underestimating how often it happens though.

This sounds like an accurate summary of IV's.  1 IV corresponds to 1 stat point (or 1.1 or 0.9 depending on personality) at level 100, which isn't usually meaningful.  But it completely changes the way Speed works (for better or for worse; probably for worse since it means more grinding is required for optimal play), because you usually aim for very specific values for your Speed stat to make sure you beat certain other Pokemon.

Gen 6 made it pretty easy though, both for breeding and for grinding.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:27:06 pm by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 10:48:50 pm »

I caught a scyther!

In my house lol
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:14 am »

I caught a scyther!

In my house lol
one clawed its way out of an egg for me, not in a house
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 01:58:19 am »

So, if my understanding is correct, the only thing you can do right now is collect them, right?

It's pretty clever marketing, because they're obviously working on a game costing a few bucks and making people invest time and effort now ensures that they are also likely to buy the actual game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:11 am »
+1

So, if my understanding is correct, the only thing you can do right now is collect them, right?

It's pretty clever marketing, because they're obviously working on a game costing a few bucks and making people invest time and effort now ensures that they are also likely to buy the actual game.

No, this is the full game, although it may get updates down the line. There's a gym system as well. Gyms are real-life locations scattered across the globe, usually at important landmarks. When you get to trainer level 5 by playing the game enough, you choose one of three teams. Then, you can claim gyms for your own team, attack gyms held by enemy teams, or boost gyms held by your own team.

It's easier to do all three if you have stronger Pokemon. Playing the game increases your trainer level (increases the power of Pokemon you catch in the wild) and gives you Stardust and Candy, which let you power-up and evolve the Pokemon you do have.

Basically, the game hits the key points of an MMO. Level system, microtransactions that make levelling easier, and PvP. The difference being that grinding forces you to go outside and walk around. Last I heard, they're making $1 million a day, which I would totally believe given how popular the game is.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 03:22:56 am »

Colleague of mine has a child who goes out to play Pokemon Go, he thinks it's great, because at least he goes outside!

Still waiting for the first serious trespassing or accidental suicide incident caused by trying to catch a Pokemon.
Maybe there's one already by someone casually strolling into Area 51 or walking off a cliff.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:09 am »

I'm well aware of the nuances of competitive Pokemon, and how the game works, what EVs are, what simulators are, etc. This is clearly nothing like that and it's not supposed to be. This is just "catch cute monsters, make them stronger by playing a few minutes a day and catching more, then go out with your friends and explore your city to catch more". You get the Pokemon Experience without the massive grinding time sink or the mechanics of actually playing Pokemon (which yes the original games have value, I'm talking about like value in Feels not value in Competitive Depth)
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 11:11:51 am »

I think I could get back into Pokemon Online.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 05:22:32 pm »

Still waiting for the first serious trespassing or accidental suicide incident caused by trying to catch a Pokemon.
Maybe there's one already by someone casually strolling into Area 51 or walking off a cliff.
How about totaling a car?
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/car-crash/important-pokemon-go-crash-update-759302

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »
+3

well to be fair, it was for a lapras.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 01:30:27 am »
+1

It's finally been released in Canada!  Apparently it's been out all day, although it wasn't when I checked this morning.

I'm currently stymied because Pokemon Trainer Club seems to be having problems.  Can't log in.  At first I thought I'd just forgotten my password, but it's not sending the reset email.  Found a reddit thread that suggests it's a recurring problem.  I've waited this long for the official release; I can wait a while longer.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:57 am »

Yeah, it has been down or glitching all day. But I did manage to hatch a 10k egg today and get a scyther. 

I did most of the walking for it yesterday hunting dratini to help upgrade my dragonite, but unfortunately couldn't find any (in a location where I had previously caught some)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:14:36 am by 2.71828..... »
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 03:17:48 am »

Also, Team Valor. If I start going on long walks instead of sitting at my computer playing dominion, you can blame Pokémon Go
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 11:15:06 am »

Colleague of mine has a child who goes out to play Pokemon Go, he thinks it's great, because at least he goes outside!

Pretty sure "accidental suicide" is a contradiction in terms. "Fatal accident" seems more appropriate.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 03:16:02 pm »
+4

New info revealed about Sun/Moon.  It seems that there will be a way to increase a Pokemon's IVs now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52:42 pm »
+1

So I was finally able to log in for the first time this afternoon.  Some initial thoughts...

- Disappointed in how limited the character customization is.  I'm not expecting like Dark Souls or Sims-level customization, but maybe some clothes that just have different colour palettes?  I don't know.

- They teach you so little.  For a while, i didn't realize you had to pop the bubbles to get the stuff from the PokeStops.

- Haven't really tried AR mode yet.  I am lazy and don't want to turn around and reposition for the Pokemon. >_>

- Don't really understand how these special moves work.  Are some strictly better than others?  I notice that Psybeam is 35 power and 4 energy requirement while Psychic is 50 power and only 2 energy requirement, soooo... Psychic is crazy good?  Am I misunderstanding energy requirements?

- I'm a little sad about how evolution works.  It amounts to capturing a bunch of Pokemon and trading them in for points, right?  One of my favourite things about the games is the personal attachment that I form with the Pokemon on my team, but with Go it's just like a parade of mons.  Already I'm thinking, between mon A and mon B, which one has better numbers and moves and which one should I chuck for resources?  In the games, I spend a stupid amount of time thinking up nicknames for my team.  Here, I feel pressure not to do that because I may end up finding a better one around the corner...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:58:37 pm by eHalcyon »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 12:16:22 am »
+1

- Don't really understand how these special moves work.  Are some strictly better than others?  I notice that Psybeam is 35 power and 4 energy requirement while Psychic is 50 power and only 2 energy requirement, soooo... Psychic is crazy good?  Am I misunderstanding energy requirements?

No. The "energy requirements" are actually energy bars. When you do your regular move, the energy bar fills up. Then, you can do the special move once per section of energy bar filled. So with a full bar, you can do Psybeam 4 times, but Psychic only twice.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 12:47:05 am »
+1

You don't have to pop the bubbles. If you exit after the bubbles appear you collect all of them automatically.

Somewhere, there's a chart that compares DPS of different moves, which depends on their animation speed, but it probably won't be useful for a while because the servers are so bad.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:48 am »
+1

No. The "energy requirements" are actually energy bars. When you do your regular move, the energy bar fills up. Then, you can do the special move once per section of energy bar filled. So with a full bar, you can do Psybeam 4 times, but Psychic only twice.

This.  I didn't actually really figure this out until today (granted, I haven't really done many gym battles).  So for example the Scyther that I posted an image of - you tap the screen to use his steel wing attack.  Once one of the bars fill up you can use Bug Buzz by pressing and holding the screen.  Or you can wait until both bars fill up and you can use Bug Buzz twice in a row. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:41 am »

OK, that makes more sense. Interested in seeing those DPS calculations then.

You don't have to pop the bubbles? Huh.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:28 am »
+1

- I'm a little sad about how evolution works.  It amounts to capturing a bunch of Pokemon and trading them in for points, right?  One of my favourite things about the games is the personal attachment that I form with the Pokemon on my team, but with Go it's just like a parade of mons.  Already I'm thinking, between mon A and mon B, which one has better numbers and moves and which one should I chuck for resources?  In the games, I spend a stupid amount of time thinking up nicknames for my team.  Here, I feel pressure not to do that because I may end up finding a better one around the corner...

And the problem with that is you will always find a better pokemon around the corner because as you increase in level you increase the capacity for a pokemon's CP.  So at level 5 the max CP of your pidgey might be 75 (not real numbers), and you will be lucky to catch one with a CP between 50-75.  But by the time you get to level 10, the pidgey's max CP might be 150, so you are now catching wild pidgey's with 100+ for their CP.  And while you can just train your pidgey to reach that same level, the amount of stardust and candy necessary make it almost pointless. 

My advice: Don't start using stardust or candy until you are at least level 10.  It sounds awful, but that is just the way it is.  I happened to catch a Dragonite in my apartment at level 6.  He was like CP 600.  Had I been level 10, he probably would have been CP 800 when I caught him.  Or not.  I just caught a CP 10 Kakuna, so you never know exactly what CP you will catch, but as you gain level you will find stronger pokemon in the wild.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 01:28:18 am »

And the problem with that is you will always find a better pokemon around the corner because as you increase in level you increase the capacity for a pokemon's CP.  So at level 5 the max CP of your pidgey might be 75 (not real numbers), and you will be lucky to catch one with a CP between 50-75.  But by the time you get to level 10, the pidgey's max CP might be 150, so you are now catching wild pidgey's with 100+ for their CP.  And while you can just train your pidgey to reach that same level, the amount of stardust and candy necessary make it almost pointless. 

My advice: Don't start using stardust or candy until you are at least level 10.  It sounds awful, but that is just the way it is.  I happened to catch a Dragonite in my apartment at level 6.  He was like CP 600.  Had I been level 10, he probably would have been CP 800 when I caught him.  Or not.  I just caught a CP 10 Kakuna, so you never know exactly what CP you will catch, but as you gain level you will find stronger pokemon in the wild.

My current plan -- if I feel compelled to nickname a Pokemon which I later intend to replace, I'll transfer the nickname.  The only exception is going to be my starter, which maybe I'll just leave forever a Bulbasaur.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:08 am »

My advice: don't spend stardust until you reach level 25.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.