Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76645 times)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2016, 06:01:05 pm »

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters.

It varies drastically by region.  I have only seen one weedle, and about 5 spearows, where I have a ton of ekans and sandshrews.  I would also love to see a drowzee

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters.

It varies drastically by region.  I have only seen one weedle, and about 5 spearows, where I have a ton of ekans and sandshrews.  I would also love to see a drowzee

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a single Sandshrew (but did catch one random Sandslash) but have caught over 100 Drowzee based on the amount of Candy I have.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2016, 12:34:21 am »
+1

Found out there are actual catch numbers in the Pokedex.  I've seen 173 Drowzee and caught 153.  I don't think that counts all the Drowzee that I've walked past without clicking on.

I hatched my third 10k egg today.  It was a Jynx.  Not only that, it was a Jynx that is lower CP than three other Jynx I have.  It is literally my least wanted 10k egg possibility.  My 10k egg track record is not good, not good at all.

BTW, for anybody sad about the removal of tracking, it should be coming back soon.  The current version has a much more reliably radar (it updates accurately!  And I'm pretty sure being at the top of the list actually means something!) and they're testing out a new tracker with some users where it shows the Pokemon's nearest Pokestop.

Edit: I took a screenshot of some of my Pokemon after lucky egg evolutions today.

Of my top 20 highest CP Pokemon, 12 of them are Hypno now.  I don't know how many to keep.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:25:23 am by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2016, 06:14:38 am »
+2

Found out there are actual catch numbers in the Pokedex.  I've seen 173 Drowzee and caught 153.  I don't think that counts all the Drowzee that I've walked past without clicking on.

I hatched my third 10k egg today.  It was a Jynx.  Not only that, it was a Jynx that is lower CP than three other Jynx I have.  It is literally my least wanted 10k egg possibility.  My 10k egg track record is not good, not good at all.

BTW, for anybody sad about the removal of tracking, it should be coming back soon.  The current version has a much more reliably radar (it updates accurately!  And I'm pretty sure being at the top of the list actually means something!) and they're testing out a new tracker with some users where it shows the Pokemon's nearest Pokestop.

Edit: I took a screenshot of some of my Pokemon after lucky egg evolutions today.

Of my top 20 highest CP Pokemon, 12 of them are Hypno now.  I don't know how many to keep.

Keep them. Get a high level poison type pokemon. Put it in a gym. Throw Hypno after Hypno at it to level up the gym's prestige.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:07 pm »

I've opted to keep 7 of them, which still feels like a bit much.

I don't really want to invest time into levelling up a gym I'm already in. If I use your strategy, it would also be easy for someone else to take down with their own Hypno squad.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:28 pm »
+6

All right, I downloaded it so that I can join my wife on her walks. I'll still be fat, but I may be a healthier fat.

Fear my level-3 ass.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 10:48:14 am »
+1

Giving this game a shot. I’m a whopping level 8. Since I work right on top of a Pokestop, my bag is full. I’m thinking of using potions and revives rather than tossing them.

So even though I suck, is it worth it to attack gyms? I’m sure I can’t win, but are there benefits to losing? I’ve already deleted 25 Revives, and I prefer to use crap rather than delete them, but I’ll do what I can. I got my first raspberries, so I guess I’ll use those on orange Pokemon.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:44 pm »

If you defeat at least one Pokemon, it takes some prestige away from the gym even if you lose. You should probably be able to defeat a Pokemon with 6 vs. 1. You'll also get some experience for it. If you go at it long enough with enough potions and Revives, you can bring down a gym. Other players may help as well.

When you get Pokemon in gyms, you can click a button in the top right of your Shop page to collect 10 coins and 500 stardust per gym you are in. You can click it once every 21 hours.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
+2

The game gives out more revives than most people need.

My wife and I carefully chose 10 gyms to place our pokemon in last night, hoping they would be too high level for other people to want to bother with them, and today we just collected on all 10 gyms again without having to do anything.

Good feeling!

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »

ooh, what happens if you marry someone on a different team than you? i've never done it before
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
+2

ooh, what happens if you marry someone on a different team than you? i've never done it before

You don't. You just don't.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »

My wife and I carefully chose 10 gyms to place our pokemon in last night, hoping they would be too high level for other people to want to bother with them, and today we just collected on all 10 gyms again without having to do anything.

Good feeling!

All the gyms around me have average turnover rate, which is to say you will be lucky if you hold it for more than 30 minutes.  The best I've managed is about a week in a level 6-8 gym (it fluctuated a bit).  I've yet to see a level 10 gym.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:52 pm »

Good feeling!

All the gyms around me have average turnover rate, which is to say you will be lucky if you hold it for more than 30 minutes.  The best I've managed is about a week in a level 6-8 gym (it fluctuated a bit).  I've yet to see a level 10 gym.

We've had to travel around 20-25 minutes away to places that have high concentrations of instinct players and we found a lot of level 6-8 level gyms in those areas. We got 10 gyms on Monday, today we have 9 only so we lost one. On the weekend we usually lose 4 or 5 and we get them again on Monday. The stuff in our area will not stick no matter what we do.

We also do a lot of cemetaries because those close at night and that makes it harder for people to take them whenever they feel like it. We'll go do those right after work.

It does take a decent amount of time to train a gym up from level 6-8 or 8-10 so we can place stuff, but with two people it goes fast enough.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2016, 09:42:50 am »

So are curve balls as useless as they seem?

I’ll put a wicked spin on a ball and hit the Pokemon with it, but it doesn’t always count as a curveball.

Conversely, I’ve done straight shots that registered as curve balls.

I’m sure there’s a reasonable algorithm for it, but it just seems so random to me.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2016, 11:23:30 am »
+1

I throw curve balls because I can more consistently get a good throw. It counts as a curveball for me probably 80% of the time, but I am also better at getting "great" or "excellent" throws using a curveball.

Even then, the extra xp will add up over the course of time. Not a significant amount, but eventually
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:39 am »

I throw curve balls because I can more consistently get a good throw. It counts as a curveball for me probably 80% of the time, but I am also better at getting "great" or "excellent" throws using a curveball.

Even then, the extra xp will add up over the course of time. Not a significant amount, but eventually

No dispute over extra XP. +10% is nothing to sneeze at. It just seems that I put forth the effort to curve it, and I don’t get that bonus about half the time. Meanwhile, a lazy throw gets me the bonus part of the time. I’m wondering if it’s worth draining my balls for a bonus that might not even get applied.

Fortunately, I work on top of a Poke Stop, so I should only be suffering on the weekend, and that’s assuming I’m very active in an isolated area (that doesn’t sound like me).
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »

Along with the experience, Curve is also believed to increase capture rate. I'm getting Curve Ball pretty much 100% of the time now so maybe you just need more practice? I'm on Android (Galaxy S5) if that helps (maybe iOS or other phones aren't registering it as well). Yesterday I was trying to catch a Ninetales and had already lost 15 ultra balls, many falling short. I tried to not curve it to get more distance but it's already too deep a habit. I did get the Ninetales after another 5 ultra balls though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »

If it improves the capture rate or the chance of getting a ring bonus, then it’s worth a shot. Have you considered confirmation bias, or are you pretty confident that that’s not a factor?

In any case, spinning curve balls is a lot more interesting than flicking upward, even if I lose a few balls doing it. So there is that benefit (when I have time to dick around with curve balls).
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »

I don't have enough experience without Curve Ball to compare. It's a common belief, but confirmation bias is a major factor with lots of theories for Pokemon Go.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »

Current 10k egg track record:

- Omanyte (cool)
- Eevee (boo)
- Jynx (worst!)
- Onix (mehhh)
- Omanyte (still good)
- Onix (ughhh)
- Jynx (whyyyyyyyy)

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »

I know I did have a learning curve figuring out technique for spinning and spent a lot of pokeballs figuring it out, but yeah. Definitely worth it

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:12 pm »
+1

Current 10k egg track record:

- Omanyte (cool)
- Eevee (boo)
- Jynx (worst!)
- Onix (mehhh)
- Omanyte (still good)
- Onix (ughhh)
- Jynx (whyyyyyyyy)

I hatched 3 rattatas in a row from 2k eggs. Whyyyyyy?!? I want starters :(
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2016, 12:11:43 am »
+1

Also wishing for starters, especially Bulbasaur.  I've yet to see one in the wild and Bulbasaur is my favourite gen 1 starter.

I hatched two more 10k eggs today.  First was an Eevee.  For the second one, I decided to go superstitious and make sure I was standing on top of a pokestop that seems to be a "common" rare spawn point.  It was a Lapras.  So I'm going to be trying to do that again for the last 10k egg I have on hand.  Not sure if I want to fill up on 9 incubators again, so I may not have such a run of 10k eggs for a while.

Today I also hatched two Krabby, a Weedle, Rattata (I think), Zubat, couple of Nidoran... basically nothing of interest except for that Lapras.

Also had a Dragonite run from me after a single Razz Berry + Ultra Ball.  It was cp2080 and would have been my very first Pokemon over 2000.  So I'm currently 2/4 on Dragonite, with the two strongest running (the two I have are low level, at 16xx and 9xx).  This one stings a little more because it was also 91% IV (though not optimal move set).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:12:55 am by eHalcyon »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:52 am »

I have a CP 23 Kingler that I'm keeping around mostly because it amuses me. I want to give it some kind of witty nickname and install it in a gym for the 30 seconds or so it typically takes for them to be taken over around here, but I don't know what to call it. Any thoughts?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2016, 01:41:08 am »

I have a CP 23 Kingler that I'm keeping around mostly because it amuses me. I want to give it some kind of witty nickname and install it in a gym for the 30 seconds or so it typically takes for them to be taken over around here, but I don't know what to call it. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, other people will not be able to see the nickname.  It's only visible to you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.