Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76637 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
pokemon go
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »
+6

it's the real deal. went to a park near my house and there were like 15 people standing around with their phones & there were 3 pokestops rigged with the lure thing.

are we optimistic? at the moment it seems like the in-game purchases are zuper optional and it is p fun. however, there are very many problems with the software, ethos, etc. also what's the best pokemon you have? i have a cp300 jynx but i also got a seel and a kadabra somewhere which was gneet
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 05:56:26 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:09 am »

I realyy do wanna play, but can't find it for Russia :(
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:08 am »

It's been fun playing it with friends. The actual game isn't very good.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:51 am »
+4

Seems like a great way to meet strangers, either dead or alive.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

Not officially out in Canada, and I'm not quite desperate enough to risk downloading an apk from random places.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »

Not officially out in Canada, and I'm not quite desperate enough to risk downloading an apk from random places.

I would have never guessed it isn't officially out in Canada, considering all my friends here are in the craze.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
+1

I would have never guessed it isn't officially out in Canada, considering all my friends here are in the craze.

Yeah a bunch of mine are too.  There are workarounds.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »
+2

http://www.cnet.com/news/woman-playing-pokemon-go-finds-dead-body/

This is all I know about Pokemon Go.

"Wiggins told KCWY, "I was really scared." She did, though, add that she would go back to the river to find her water Pokemon."

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »
+3

Not mine.  Still don't have it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »

This game is legit. Takes all the bullshit out of pokemon. You collect cute monsters and go outside and talk to real humans. It's amazing. The amount of new people I've talked to and social interaction this game has caused me is so great.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »
+1

This game is legit. Takes all the bullshit out of pokemon. You collect cute monsters and go outside and talk to real humans. It's amazing. The amount of new people I've talked to and social interaction this game has caused me is so great.

Like there was ever any bullshit in pokemon to begin with... The closest thing to bullshit is that the first generation pokemon just suck and should be buffed.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 06:30:00 pm »
+2

Like there was ever any bullshit in pokemon to begin with... The closest thing to bullshit is that the first generation pokemon just suck and should be buffed.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

These are a needless complication of the game that create a stupid skill gap between moderately invested players and nolifers.

I could go on, but I've had so many debates on this that I'm not that interested... #StealthRocksucks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:31:45 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:35:35 pm »

These are a needless complication of the game that create a stupid skill gap between moderately invested players and nolifers.

I could go on, but I've had so many debates on this that I'm not that interested... #StealthRocksucks

Just shoddy battle and choose your own EVs and IVs. Or is Shoddy Battle not a thing anymore? It always seemed basically like it should be illegal to me...

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

Anyway I like the CP system in Pokemon Go. Not all Pokemon are created equal but it's clearly displayed and you don't have to kill 150 ratatas to get max speed.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »
+1

Just shoddy battle and choose your own EVs and IVs. Or is Shoddy Battle not a thing anymore? It always seemed basically like it should be illegal to me...

I'm not saying this is a bad option, but it's also not an option officially sanctioned by Nintendo, and only a subsection of Pokemon fans play on there. That's why it's nice to see Pokemon Go simplify the game for the wider audience. The complexity of competitive Pokemon is hugely alienating for new players who aren't big on math, etc.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 06:43:03 pm »

I'm cool with EVs. IVs are not a great idea. I wish they didn't have those. But EVs are completely fine.

And Stealth Rocks are fine. Just stop using your team of six Beedrills and you should be okay.  ;D

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »
+3

I'm cool with EVs. IVs are not a great idea. I wish they didn't have those. But EVs are completely fine.

And Stealth Rocks are fine. Just stop using your team of six Beedrills and you should be okay.  ;D

I'm not opposed to the idea of EVs philosophically, but I dislike how obtuse the mechanic is and how poorly the games have explained them. Even in X and Y, where they are represented in graphs, you still have to look up what's going on to understand the system. Then there's the issue where if you want to modify your Pokemon's EV spread, you'll have to spend endless amounts of time either training a new copy (and praying for good IVs) or grinding for berries that do this (which the game also doesn't explain how to do in full). The games could have easily been made simpler by having a Showdown-style slider for EV allocation, a choice of stat gains at each level ala most RPGs with a similar system, or by using smaller numbers. 255 as a maximum is a holdback from the games being on older handhelds (as well as the 4=1 point at level 100 thing) that could be modified now that the technology is more flexible.

You are underestimating the impact Stealth Rock has on the game, but I expect this out of Pokemon fans. It's completely absurd that a single, super versatile attack with so little risk makes a large percentage of Pokemon next to worthless. There are plenty of changes the developers could have made by now to fix it, too, but they haven't bothered.

Darn it, I said I wasn't going down this rabbit hole.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »

Yeah, screw you stealth rocks!

And water dance

and whatever that dragon is that didn't make the uber tier.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 07:37:38 pm »
+1

You are underestimating the impact Stealth Rock has on the game, but I expect this out of Pokemon fans. It's completely absurd that a single, super versatile attack with so little risk makes a large percentage of Pokemon next to worthless. There are plenty of changes the developers could have made by now to fix it, too, but they haven't bothered.

As I understand it, Stealth Rock is really only that powerful in singles 6v6.  In more common official competitive formats, Stealth Rock is much less useful.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 09:01:51 pm »

As I understand it, Stealth Rock is really only that powerful in singles 6v6.  In more common official competitive formats, Stealth Rock is much less useful.

Which is unfortunate, because I (and I think most people) think 6v6 would otherwise be a much, much more interesting game.  If they would just fix Stealth Rock, they could consider 6v6 the standard format (or at least a standard format), since that's what people like anyway, and then it wouldn't be broken.  But they insist on 3v3 being the one true way to play, and they're going so all-in on 3v3 that they're willing to make an attack that breaks 6v6.

(Disclaimer: I have no experience with 6th gen competitive Pokemon.)

Anyway, it sounds like jsh has the same issues with competitive Pokemon that I have.  Grinding is no fun, Stealth Rock breaks everything, it's impossible to get new players into it because there's so many stats and type match-ups and things to memorize, and who can learn what moves and stuff.  At its core it's a pretty cool game: you make decisions simultaneously, you're always trying to out-guess your opponent, it's like a turn-based fighting game.  But it's so complicated and I think it's just not designed for competitive play.  It probably wouldn't be hard to make a Pokemon-like game that is much more interesting for competitive play, but then you'd have to get people to start playing it before anyone cared about it.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »
+1

How much of an impact do IVs have? I agree that, while it's a cute idea for single player (all pokemons are unique!), it's completely idiotic for a competitive format.

That's what I liked about Pokemon Stadium. At least we are all on an equal footing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 09:52:24 pm »

Stealth Rock breaks everything

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. Were you around for the Gen 5 Weather Wars? Now THAT was complete and utter bullshit.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:03 pm »
+1

Anyway, it sounds like jsh has the same issues with competitive Pokemon that I have.  Grinding is no fun, Stealth Rock breaks everything, it's impossible to get new players into it because there's so many stats and type match-ups and things to memorize, and who can learn what moves and stuff.  At its core it's a pretty cool game: you make decisions simultaneously, you're always trying to out-guess your opponent, it's like a turn-based fighting game.  But it's so complicated and I think it's just not designed for competitive play.  It probably wouldn't be hard to make a Pokemon-like game that is much more interesting for competitive play, but then you'd have to get people to start playing it before anyone cared about it.

FWIW, Sun/Moon's battle UI includes a bit that tells you the type effectiveness of your moves.  IIRC, you need to do something to trigger it, but I'm not sure what... test a move out once on the opposing Pokemon?  Catch the Pokemon so you can confirm its typing?  Something like that.  When this was revealed, a portion of the fanbase freaked out about how GameFreak was continuing to dumb down the game.  Of course, this is certainly intended to make it easier for young kids and those who don't have the time or memory to know all the type matchups, and most fans recognized it and embraced it.

Likewise for the ExpAll item in XY.  It makes it a lot easier to level up the entire team, making grinding much less of a chore.  A few users complained that it made the game too easy; most realized you could just turn it off and it was a valuable tool for raising up new teams.  In fact, a lot of stuff introduced in XY simplified things for competitive play.  Destiny Knot and various changes to breeding mechanics made it so much simpler to breed "perfect" Pokemon; XY was the game where I actually got into all that.  Not that I competed in PvP; I just wanted great Pokemon to face off in the Battle Maison.

How much of an impact do IVs have? I agree that, while it's a cute idea for single player (all pokemons are unique!), it's completely idiotic for a competitive format.

That's what I liked about Pokemon Stadium. At least we are all on an equal footing.

Stat calculator here.  Weirdly, it says "DVs" instead of "IVs" but they're all set at 31 by default so I know that's what they meant.  Hopefully the rest of the programming is alright. ;)

(Edit: they were known as "determinant values" in gens I and II, apparently.)

For a level 100 Mew (stats of 100 across the board) with a Docile nature (no + or - to any stats), max IVs gives 341 HP and 236 for everything else.  0 IVs gives 310 HP and 205 for everything else.  So it looks like each IV is exactly 1 more point for the stat at level 100.

At level 50, max IVs gives 175 HP and 120, and 0 IVs gives 160 HP and 105.  So in that case, each IV is only worth half a stat point.  I believe official matches are typically capped at level 50.

With positive natures, the differences are multiplied by 1.1, so IVs can make a maximum of 34 points difference in a stat at level 100 or 17 points at level 50.  This can be further multiplied by various items or other boosting effects.

I'm not an expert but this doesn't sound like that big a deal usually.  Sometimes it can mean the difference between fainting and a clutch survival, but it seems like small potatoes to me.  The one big exception to this is Speed.  Whoever is faster goes first, so even a single point of increase can make the difference.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:08:57 pm by eHalcyon »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 10:16:45 pm »

Fainting vs clutch survival is actually very significant, since clutch survival guarantees your counterattack goes off that turn, and OHKOs let you keep your Pokemon healthy.

You can play Pokemon competitively, but there are competitive games that are a lot more fun to play.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:20 pm »

Stealth Rock breaks everything

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. Were you around for the Gen 5 Weather Wars? Now THAT was complete and utter bullshit.

I played a little 5th gen but most of my experience was 4th gen.  And yeah weather was ridiculous in 5th gen.  But SR was awful too.  Otherwise solid Pokemon became only okay because they were weak to rock.  There should not be a single move that makes you care that much about one weakness.  Being 4x weak to rock made a Pokemon almost automatically unusable (uh, not Ho-oh, who was still uber I think).  Yanmega would have been great but was mediocre because of it basically played the game with half its HP.

Like, just think about the fact that Ghost-types got referred to as spin-blockers.  That's like, having Stealth Rock is so important that it's considered good to have a counter to a move that does nothing but counter it.

But I don't have enough knowledge of 5th gen to know how it really compares to the weather problems, so I won't argue that it was any worse than that.  The fact that Drizzle+Swift Swim had to be banned is pretty telling.

For a level 100 Mew (stats of 100 across the board) with a Docile nature (no + or - to any stats), max IVs gives 341 HP and 236 for everything else.  0 IVs gives 310 HP and 205 for everything else.  So it looks like each IV is exactly 1 more point for the stat at level 100.

At level 50, max IVs gives 175 HP and 120, and 0 IVs gives 160 HP and 105.  So in that case, each IV is only worth half a stat point.  I believe official matches are typically capped at level 50.

With positive natures, the differences are multiplied by 1.1, so IVs can make a maximum of 34 points difference in a stat at level 100 or 17 points at level 50.  This can be further multiplied by various items or other boosting effects.

I'm not an expert but this doesn't sound like that big a deal usually.  Sometimes it can mean the difference between fainting and a clutch survival, but it seems like small potatoes to me.  The one big exception to this is Speed.  Whoever is faster goes first, so even a single point of increase can make the difference.

This sounds like an accurate summary of IV's.  1 IV corresponds to 1 stat point (or 1.1 or 0.9 depending on personality) at level 100, which isn't usually meaningful.  But it completely changes the way Speed works (for better or for worse; probably for worse since it means more grinding is required for optimal play), because you usually aim for very specific values for your Speed stat to make sure you beat certain other Pokemon.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »
+1

Rain Teams were insane. Send in a Vaporeon with Hydration and leftovers, and you can never ever kill it. Poisoning it does nothing, since it heals in the rain. It has so much defense and HP that it's impossible to kill. Then the Vaporeon just has Rest, Protect/some move, Hydro Pump, and Toxic. It's so unkillable. I would know, because I used to run it. I wasn't a very great player, and I won games with it singlehandedly.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »
+1

Fainting vs clutch survival is actually very significant, since clutch survival guarantees your counterattack goes off that turn, and OHKOs let you keep your Pokemon healthy.

You can play Pokemon competitively, but there are competitive games that are a lot more fun to play.

What I mean is that instances of that happening seem low to me. Absolutely it's a big deal when it does.  I may be underestimating how often it happens though.

This sounds like an accurate summary of IV's.  1 IV corresponds to 1 stat point (or 1.1 or 0.9 depending on personality) at level 100, which isn't usually meaningful.  But it completely changes the way Speed works (for better or for worse; probably for worse since it means more grinding is required for optimal play), because you usually aim for very specific values for your Speed stat to make sure you beat certain other Pokemon.

Gen 6 made it pretty easy though, both for breeding and for grinding.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:27:06 pm by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 10:48:50 pm »

I caught a scyther!

In my house lol

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 12:59:14 am »

I caught a scyther!

In my house lol
one clawed its way out of an egg for me, not in a house
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 01:58:19 am »

So, if my understanding is correct, the only thing you can do right now is collect them, right?

It's pretty clever marketing, because they're obviously working on a game costing a few bucks and making people invest time and effort now ensures that they are also likely to buy the actual game.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:11 am »
+1

So, if my understanding is correct, the only thing you can do right now is collect them, right?

It's pretty clever marketing, because they're obviously working on a game costing a few bucks and making people invest time and effort now ensures that they are also likely to buy the actual game.

No, this is the full game, although it may get updates down the line. There's a gym system as well. Gyms are real-life locations scattered across the globe, usually at important landmarks. When you get to trainer level 5 by playing the game enough, you choose one of three teams. Then, you can claim gyms for your own team, attack gyms held by enemy teams, or boost gyms held by your own team.

It's easier to do all three if you have stronger Pokemon. Playing the game increases your trainer level (increases the power of Pokemon you catch in the wild) and gives you Stardust and Candy, which let you power-up and evolve the Pokemon you do have.

Basically, the game hits the key points of an MMO. Level system, microtransactions that make levelling easier, and PvP. The difference being that grinding forces you to go outside and walk around. Last I heard, they're making $1 million a day, which I would totally believe given how popular the game is.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 03:22:56 am »

Colleague of mine has a child who goes out to play Pokemon Go, he thinks it's great, because at least he goes outside!

Still waiting for the first serious trespassing or accidental suicide incident caused by trying to catch a Pokemon.
Maybe there's one already by someone casually strolling into Area 51 or walking off a cliff.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:09 am »

I'm well aware of the nuances of competitive Pokemon, and how the game works, what EVs are, what simulators are, etc. This is clearly nothing like that and it's not supposed to be. This is just "catch cute monsters, make them stronger by playing a few minutes a day and catching more, then go out with your friends and explore your city to catch more". You get the Pokemon Experience without the massive grinding time sink or the mechanics of actually playing Pokemon (which yes the original games have value, I'm talking about like value in Feels not value in Competitive Depth)

bug me on discord

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 11:11:51 am »

I think I could get back into Pokemon Online.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 05:22:32 pm »

Still waiting for the first serious trespassing or accidental suicide incident caused by trying to catch a Pokemon.
Maybe there's one already by someone casually strolling into Area 51 or walking off a cliff.
How about totaling a car?
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/car-crash/important-pokemon-go-crash-update-759302

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3182
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 05:42:58 pm »
+3

well to be fair, it was for a lapras.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 01:30:27 am »
+1

It's finally been released in Canada!  Apparently it's been out all day, although it wasn't when I checked this morning.

I'm currently stymied because Pokemon Trainer Club seems to be having problems.  Can't log in.  At first I thought I'd just forgotten my password, but it's not sending the reset email.  Found a reddit thread that suggests it's a recurring problem.  I've waited this long for the official release; I can wait a while longer.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:57 am »

Yeah, it has been down or glitching all day. But I did manage to hatch a 10k egg today and get a scyther. 

I did most of the walking for it yesterday hunting dratini to help upgrade my dragonite, but unfortunately couldn't find any (in a location where I had previously caught some)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:14:36 am by 2.71828..... »
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 03:17:48 am »

Also, Team Valor. If I start going on long walks instead of sitting at my computer playing dominion, you can blame Pokémon Go
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 11:15:06 am »

Colleague of mine has a child who goes out to play Pokemon Go, he thinks it's great, because at least he goes outside!

Pretty sure "accidental suicide" is a contradiction in terms. "Fatal accident" seems more appropriate.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 03:16:02 pm »
+4

New info revealed about Sun/Moon.  It seems that there will be a way to increase a Pokemon's IVs now.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52:42 pm »
+1

So I was finally able to log in for the first time this afternoon.  Some initial thoughts...

- Disappointed in how limited the character customization is.  I'm not expecting like Dark Souls or Sims-level customization, but maybe some clothes that just have different colour palettes?  I don't know.

- They teach you so little.  For a while, i didn't realize you had to pop the bubbles to get the stuff from the PokeStops.

- Haven't really tried AR mode yet.  I am lazy and don't want to turn around and reposition for the Pokemon. >_>

- Don't really understand how these special moves work.  Are some strictly better than others?  I notice that Psybeam is 35 power and 4 energy requirement while Psychic is 50 power and only 2 energy requirement, soooo... Psychic is crazy good?  Am I misunderstanding energy requirements?

- I'm a little sad about how evolution works.  It amounts to capturing a bunch of Pokemon and trading them in for points, right?  One of my favourite things about the games is the personal attachment that I form with the Pokemon on my team, but with Go it's just like a parade of mons.  Already I'm thinking, between mon A and mon B, which one has better numbers and moves and which one should I chuck for resources?  In the games, I spend a stupid amount of time thinking up nicknames for my team.  Here, I feel pressure not to do that because I may end up finding a better one around the corner...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:58:37 pm by eHalcyon »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1363
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 12:16:22 am »
+1

- Don't really understand how these special moves work.  Are some strictly better than others?  I notice that Psybeam is 35 power and 4 energy requirement while Psychic is 50 power and only 2 energy requirement, soooo... Psychic is crazy good?  Am I misunderstanding energy requirements?

No. The "energy requirements" are actually energy bars. When you do your regular move, the energy bar fills up. Then, you can do the special move once per section of energy bar filled. So with a full bar, you can do Psybeam 4 times, but Psychic only twice.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2016, 12:47:05 am »
+1

You don't have to pop the bubbles. If you exit after the bubbles appear you collect all of them automatically.

Somewhere, there's a chart that compares DPS of different moves, which depends on their animation speed, but it probably won't be useful for a while because the servers are so bad.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2016, 12:50:48 am »
+1

No. The "energy requirements" are actually energy bars. When you do your regular move, the energy bar fills up. Then, you can do the special move once per section of energy bar filled. So with a full bar, you can do Psybeam 4 times, but Psychic only twice.

This.  I didn't actually really figure this out until today (granted, I haven't really done many gym battles).  So for example the Scyther that I posted an image of - you tap the screen to use his steel wing attack.  Once one of the bars fill up you can use Bug Buzz by pressing and holding the screen.  Or you can wait until both bars fill up and you can use Bug Buzz twice in a row. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 12:57:41 am »

OK, that makes more sense. Interested in seeing those DPS calculations then.

You don't have to pop the bubbles? Huh.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 01:02:28 am »
+1

- I'm a little sad about how evolution works.  It amounts to capturing a bunch of Pokemon and trading them in for points, right?  One of my favourite things about the games is the personal attachment that I form with the Pokemon on my team, but with Go it's just like a parade of mons.  Already I'm thinking, between mon A and mon B, which one has better numbers and moves and which one should I chuck for resources?  In the games, I spend a stupid amount of time thinking up nicknames for my team.  Here, I feel pressure not to do that because I may end up finding a better one around the corner...

And the problem with that is you will always find a better pokemon around the corner because as you increase in level you increase the capacity for a pokemon's CP.  So at level 5 the max CP of your pidgey might be 75 (not real numbers), and you will be lucky to catch one with a CP between 50-75.  But by the time you get to level 10, the pidgey's max CP might be 150, so you are now catching wild pidgey's with 100+ for their CP.  And while you can just train your pidgey to reach that same level, the amount of stardust and candy necessary make it almost pointless. 

My advice: Don't start using stardust or candy until you are at least level 10.  It sounds awful, but that is just the way it is.  I happened to catch a Dragonite in my apartment at level 6.  He was like CP 600.  Had I been level 10, he probably would have been CP 800 when I caught him.  Or not.  I just caught a CP 10 Kakuna, so you never know exactly what CP you will catch, but as you gain level you will find stronger pokemon in the wild.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 01:28:18 am »

And the problem with that is you will always find a better pokemon around the corner because as you increase in level you increase the capacity for a pokemon's CP.  So at level 5 the max CP of your pidgey might be 75 (not real numbers), and you will be lucky to catch one with a CP between 50-75.  But by the time you get to level 10, the pidgey's max CP might be 150, so you are now catching wild pidgey's with 100+ for their CP.  And while you can just train your pidgey to reach that same level, the amount of stardust and candy necessary make it almost pointless. 

My advice: Don't start using stardust or candy until you are at least level 10.  It sounds awful, but that is just the way it is.  I happened to catch a Dragonite in my apartment at level 6.  He was like CP 600.  Had I been level 10, he probably would have been CP 800 when I caught him.  Or not.  I just caught a CP 10 Kakuna, so you never know exactly what CP you will catch, but as you gain level you will find stronger pokemon in the wild.

My current plan -- if I feel compelled to nickname a Pokemon which I later intend to replace, I'll transfer the nickname.  The only exception is going to be my starter, which maybe I'll just leave forever a Bulbasaur.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:08 am »

My advice: don't spend stardust until you reach level 25.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:37 pm »

I'm currently level 10. I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Also, I just learned that Pokemon Go does actually use IVs to determine CP:

http://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/combatpoints.shtml

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »

I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Yes

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »

I wish gyms had level-capped tiers because I don't feel capable of even attempting to challenge any based on the vast CP gulf.

Yes

Question for the experienced -  how big a gulf can be overcome by good match up and/or player skill?

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »
+1

Yes

Question for the experienced -  how big a gulf can be overcome by good match up and/or player skill?

Not much, is my experience. (I am mediocre experienced.)

What is true, though, is that you can attack a gym together with a friend if you are both from the same team and you attack the gymleader's pokemon at the same time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2016, 07:58:10 pm »

What is true, though, is that you can attack a gym together with a friend if you are both from the same team and you attack the gymleader's pokemon at the same time.

That's some Team Rocket stuff right there.  Lends credence to the theory that we're all actually evil teams (I mean, we're engaging in turf wars and all).

I'm level 15 now.  Still don't have any Pokemon above 650CP.  Also, my bag is perpetually full and I'm tossing away stuff so that I have a chance to spin an incubator or other rare item.  Still saving up Pidgey and the like for a Lucky Egg spree.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2016, 08:05:20 pm »

I have friends that use the words "Pidgey" and "Dragonite" in the same sentence and I am like whut. Most and least common first gen pokemon, is the balance completely different from the original games?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2016, 08:13:18 pm »
+2

I have friends that use the words "Pidgey" and "Dragonite" in the same sentence and I am like whut. Most and least common first gen pokemon, is the balance completely different from the original games?

Pidgey are the best Pokemon for grinding your level out in this game. You get a huge bonus from evolving Pokemon, Pidgey evolves really fast, and Pidgey are all over the place.

I haven't even seen a Dratini yet, personally. Have seen people with Dragonite on gyms, though. (Even after playing since the day of release, I haven't been able to beat a single Pokemon in a gym...)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2016, 12:16:00 am »

Pidgey are the best Pokemon for grinding your level out in this game. You get a huge bonus from evolving Pokemon, Pidgey evolves really fast, and Pidgey are all over the place.

I haven't even seen a Dratini yet, personally. Have seen people with Dragonite on gyms, though. (Even after playing since the day of release, I haven't been able to beat a single Pokemon in a gym...)

I'll remember this if I ever play. Chances are though, that I'll just be wiped out if I started now. I'm already too behind to even bother.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2016, 12:29:39 am »

I'll remember this if I ever play. Chances are though, that I'll just be wiped out if I started now. I'm already too behind to even bother.

If you have friends who are playing, they can help you out.  And it's not as bad as it seems.  You can defeat much much powerful opponents because of the way the system works.  Even if you lose the battle, you can still chip away at gyms.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2016, 10:42:09 am »

The 'if you start later, you are behind' is real, but there are mechanisms to mitigate this. That said, I think it's still pretty large.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2016, 10:48:55 am »

I started two weeks ago and I am level 22. At level 22, it takes 100,000 experience to get to level 23, and it starts going up exponentially from there. At level 30, it is absolute hell to get to level 31. Getting to level 20 is relatively easy. Play a few nights a week for a month and you're there.

I wouldn't say the experience gap is a big deal at all. When you're level 10, you should just focus on catching more rare pokemon, don't evolve any rare pokemon that you catch, and don't spend any of your stardust.

By the time you're level 20, it takes so long to level up each time that you can choose a few rare pokemon to fully evolve and push to max CP, then just keep them maxed on CP every time you level up.

By the time you're level 25-30, you should easily have 6 pokemon on your team that are at max CP, and start looking into swapping out your weaker team members for new pokemon that you are evolving or catching.

It's a good structure, and it's been overly criticized a lot. The high level thresholds starting at level 25 do a lot to even the playing field for people who didn't start on Day one. Getting gyms is very easy, so collecting in game money to spend on egg incubators and lucky eggs is actually not that hard (maybe a little slow). Personally, my wife and I both spent 10 dollars on the game to jump start into the higher levels and now we can take gyms easily and easily get 50 game coins a day from the gym bonus.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2016, 10:51:43 am »
+1

They are talking about pidgeys as common experience food, and dragonite as the most powerful pokemon in the game. Both are highly discussed, but one because its easy to get and part of the grind and the other because it is rare and coveted. Dragonite is currently the strongest achievable pokemon in the game. Snorlax is second strongest for whatever reason.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2016, 10:53:58 am »

It's possible to catch a dragonite in the wild. I was looking at https://pokevision.com/ online and once saw a dragonite, once saw a gyarados in my downtown region. Of course I was nowhere nearby. Some people have also found nests where they frequently spawn and farm the nests to level up their dragonites/whatevers.

For snorlax, Lapras, etc as far as I can tell you either have to get lucky and find a nest, or get lucky and hatch a strong one from a 10k egg.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:22 am »

That's some Team Rocket stuff right there.  Lends credence to the theory that we're all actually evil teams (I mean, we're engaging in turf wars and all).

I'm level 15 now.  Still don't have any Pokemon above 650CP.  Also, my bag is perpetually full and I'm tossing away stuff so that I have a chance to spin an incubator or other rare item.  Still saving up Pidgey and the like for a Lucky Egg spree.

You can't get incubators from pokestops, just eggs, and only if you currently have less than nine. You get two incubators every time you hit multiple-of-5 level. (10, 15, 20, 25, etc)

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2016, 10:58:22 am »

Yes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/15/pokemon-gos-biggest-secret-type-is-way-more-important-than-cp/#51b5d0c818b0

This article is mostly correct and fairly informative about how to beat gyms.

You can collect in game money once every 21 hours by hitting collect defender bonus now on the top right corner of your store. It will give you 10 game coins for each gym that you own. You can get a max of 10 gyms, so up to 1 dollar a day.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23:35 am »

You can't get incubators from pokestops, just eggs, and only if you currently have less than nine. You get two incubators every time you hit multiple-of-5 level. (10, 15, 20, 25, etc)

You don't actually team-battle the gyms. You just bring its prestige down together faster by individually battling the gym at the same time.

I'm pretty sure this is false? Or used to be anyway. In any case, a friend and I once beat a gym together, and even though all my Pokemon were knocked out before he finished it, I still got the benefits of beating it (by staying on the battle screen).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/07/15/pokemon-gos-biggest-secret-type-is-way-more-important-than-cp/#51b5d0c818b0

This article is mostly correct and fairly informative about how to beat gyms.

I don't think that's accurate either. Type advantage in Pokemon Go is only x1.2, I believe, rather than x2 in the actual video games. That's nowhere near enough to make up for a vast CP gulf.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:25:48 am by LastFootnote »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2016, 12:02:45 pm »

What is correct in the articleis that the computer AI is so terrible that a decent 1000 co Pokémoncan easily defeat a 1500 co one

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »

Also if you only beat part of the gym, you still get a portion of the benefit. Polly what was going on with that gym battle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »

You only get 1 incubator at each multiple of 5 level. Hmm, I read in various articles that lucky eggs and incubators were rare possibilities, but maybe this is just a rumour born of trolling and misunderstanding.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:07 pm »

You only get 1 incubator at each multiple of 5 level. Hmm, I read in various articles that lucky eggs and incubators were rare possibilities, but maybe this is just a rumour born of trolling and misunderstanding.

That may be true for 5, 10, 15. The only one I remember is 20, because that was actually hard to achieve. I got 2 incubators at 20. I believe you get  2 at 25 as well.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:23 pm »

Destroying stuff to get better stuff at pokestops is a thing though. I usually destroy revives, to get a higher density of great/ultra balls and hyper potions.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2016, 01:30:19 pm »

Destroying stuff to get better stuff at pokestops is a thing though. I usually destroy revives, to get a higher density of great/ultra balls and hyper potions.

What do you mean by destroying stuff?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2016, 01:34:14 pm »

What do you mean by destroying stuff?

Tossing items. I'm doing that too...

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »

At least in Kansas City, the best way to not have to destroy items is to go down to the downtown metropolitan area where pokemon spawn like crazy and you can't keep up with all the rare pokemon spawning. Anyone who thinks Eevees are uncommon needs to do this because they are like rats if you go to a hotspot.

When you say "rare pokemon spawning" do you mean the not-actually-rare Pokemon like Eevee?  I don't think anybody who's played 3+ days thinks that Eevee are rare.  Even if they don't see wild Eevee themselves, surely they see the Vaporeon in every gym.

I'm tossing items mainly during the times where I'm close to a pokestop but not actively running around playing the game, especially when I'm out in the suburbs or somewhere else with lower spawn rates.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:58:44 pm by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »

When you say "rare pokemon spawning" do you mean the not-actually-rare Pokemon like Eevee?  I don't think anybody who's played 3+ days thinks that Eevee are rare.  Even if they don't see wild Eevee themselves, surely they see the Vaporeon in every gym.

I'm tossing items mainly during the times where I'm close to a pokestop but not actively running around playing the game, especially when I'm out in the suburbs or somewhere else with lower spawn rates.

I mean semi-rares like Growlithe, Pikachu, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Oddish, Gastly, Clefairy, Jigglypuff etc. etc. etc

Whether Eevee is common or rare in your area has a lot to do with where you live. Eevees spawn more in heavily urban areas and not so much in suburbs, so I try to tell people who think that Eevee is rare to go downtown. I've run into a lot of people who say things like "How does everyone have such a strong vaporeon? I can't even get 25 eevee candy!"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »

by "exponentially" you probably mean "more than linearly"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »

Actually, I've noticed Eevee to be more common in suburban areas, near fields.  Likewise, I've caught more Bellsprout and Oddish in suburban areas.  I've only seen a Vulpix silhouette once, and that was suburban too.

Pikachu seems to be rare where I live, even in the more urban areas, except for this one specific path.  Outside of that path, I've only seen suburban Pikachu (though rarely).  It's almost certainly not just that one path, of course, but that's the only area I've been where Pikachu is any sort of common or consistent.

I think your advice is going to be very specific to your area.  There may be some general patterns, but different cities will have some of their own quirks.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »

by "exponentially" you probably mean "more than linearly"?

I mean exponentially. There's a chart somewhere.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2016, 07:43:06 am »
+2

I mean semi-rares like Growlithe, Pikachu, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Oddish, Gastly, Clefairy, Jigglypuff etc. etc. etc

Whether Eevee is common or rare in your area has a lot to do with where you live. Eevees spawn more in heavily urban areas and not so much in suburbs, so I try to tell people who think that Eevee is rare to go downtown. I've run into a lot of people who say things like "How does everyone have such a strong vaporeon? I can't even get 25 eevee candy!"

My wife needs to know the good places for the semi-rares. She mostly gets bats and pigeons downtown. But she was happy with her Eevee, so she apparently wandered into an Eevee herd somewhere.

She chides me for taking the highway through downtown, but she's getting pretty good at catching things at 50 MPH.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2016, 05:57:27 pm »

I can confirm that you DO actually team-battle the gyms.  There's evidence online, and I've seen it myself where somebody else's Pokemon appears in the arena and also attacks the defending the Pokemon.

So I'm level 20 now and starting to consider powering up some pokemon on my own.  I'm finding the IV system in Go way more frustrating than in the regular games, mostly because of the hidden level.  I hate that they use the semi-circle slider instead of just giving us an actual number for a Pokemon's current level.  I can power something up once or twice to see when stardust requirements change and all, but it somehow feels way more tedious than what I do in the regular games.  It's probably just unfamiliarity with the system, but it still bugs me.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2016, 07:21:30 pm »

I can confirm that you DO actually team-battle the gyms.  There's evidence online, and I've seen it myself where somebody else's Pokemon appears in the arena and also attacks the defending the Pokemon.

So I'm level 20 now and starting to consider powering up some pokemon on my own.  I'm finding the IV system in Go way more frustrating than in the regular games, mostly because of the hidden level.  I hate that they use the semi-circle slider instead of just giving us an actual number for a Pokemon's current level.  I can power something up once or twice to see when stardust requirements change and all, but it somehow feels way more tedious than what I do in the regular games.  It's probably just unfamiliarity with the system, but it still bugs me.

Yep, I was wrong.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »

PokeAssistant.com is nice for IV calculations, but it gives you a range and sometimes a really wide range.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2016, 04:05:56 am »

PokeAssistant.com is nice for IV calculations, but it gives you a range and sometimes a really wide range.

I've been using the one on Silph Road. Still annoyed by the hidden level though.

I hatched my second 10k egg today. It was an Eevee.  :'(

On the bright side, it's my highest CP Eevee and seems to have decent IVs. Might finally get a Vaporeon of my own.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2016, 10:48:45 am »

I've been using the one on Silph Road. Still annoyed by the hidden level though.

I hatched my second 10k egg today. It was an Eevee.  :'(

On the bright side, it's my highest CP Eevee and seems to have decent IVs. Might finally get a Vaporeon of my own.

Protip: If you want vaporeon, name the Eevee Rainer. (And Sparky for Jolteon, and Pyro for Flareon.)
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2016, 10:58:19 am »
+1

Yep, I know that one. Wondering if there are other secrets though, like... Evolve Slowpoke for free by battling against a Shellder! Nickname your Rattata Joey and it deals bonus damage!  Electric types are more common while your phone battery is 100% charged!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2016, 01:41:02 pm »
+4

Yep, I know that one. Wondering if there are other secrets though, like... Evolve Slowpoke for free by battling against a Shellder! Nickname your Rattata Joey and it deals bonus damage!  Electric types are more common while your phone battery is 100% charged!

Wear shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear, and you'll find more Ekans and Rattatas!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2016, 01:36:19 am »
+1

It is a lot easier to get into gyms than I expected.  I'm currently in four (personal record!) and my Pokemon aren't particularly strong (still haven't powered anything up).

Early afternoon, I went to a dog park that was a verified Dratini nest.  Unfortunately for me, the nests started changing yesterday.  Apparently there were still Dratini there last night, but no longer.  I believe it's Clefairy now, of which I already have a plethora.  On the bright side, I ran into my first Snorlax.  But it's only cp321 so not very useful for anything.  While I was there, I took down a low-level gym and installed a CP1052 Hypno.  Since it was right by a duck-filled pond, I nicknamed the Hypno Quackers.  Shortly afterwards, two more Pokemon joined my gym with like 800-900 Flareon and Vaporeon or something like that.  Maybe it's been reinforced further since then; I can only hope.

On the way back from the park, I detoured to a gated community with a gym out front.  It was already red so I spent some time training it up.  It took way longer than it should have... I was using a cp1095 Cloyster with Frost Breath and Blizzard against two Golbat and a Snorlax, and I only reached Snorlax once.  Blizzard damage is super delayed or it was glitching out because it didn't seem to land until like 5 seconds after the animation had already completed.  Anyway, I got it up to level 4 and left cp994 Boba the Hypno.  I think it was higher CP than both Golbat but not the Snorlax.  Maybe that one has been reinforced too.

Those two have held on all day.  I've joined and quickly lost a few others.  The recent two I just grabbed on the way home.  One was a cp839 Magmar that went into a church gym that was previously Instinct (uh, as of now Magmar has returned home so I'm down to 3).  The other was a random road-side gym that just had a free space open, so I put in cp895 Dry Bones the Kingler (who knows no Water-type attacks).

My ambition is to get strong enough to join the gym closest to where I live, which is currently level 7 with 26k prestige and a cp1074 Lapras in the first slot.  It's been like that for about 4 days now, I think.  If I can get in there, it would probably continue to hold for a long time.  I tried training there though and could barely make a dent in the Lapras.  It would have taken all day to get in there.  Might be time I actually powered something up. :P

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2016, 11:51:49 am »

My wife and I tried last night to get a level 8 gym to level 10 so we could add our stuff, and blew through all our potions trying. Seems like if you want level 10 gyms, you should bring ten people all at once to work together on it. The experience thresholds are just too high.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2016, 01:57:31 pm »

I have basically run out of Pokeballs, and I don't encounter Stops in any of the places I go on a regular basis, so the game's pretty much dead for me. (No, it's not good enough to spend money on) Conceptually I think the game's a lot of fun, but it's very prone to crashing and very inconvenient to track steps with since the screen times out so soon. I think I'm done with it.  When I was in middle and high school I would have loved this. (assuming bugs get fixed) Perhaps the most upsetting issue with the game is how it randomly decides I threw a curve ball and causes me to waste balls. I don't think I have ever landed a curve shot, and even if I could develop the skill, since I don't know one is coming it's pointless. I got around 50 Pokemon during the time I played, and didn't encounter many silhouettes I couldn't track down. I don't think I ever encountered a Rock, Electric, Fighting, Psychic, or Fire type. (Ice and Dragon were rare in Gen 1 anyway, so not surprised by that) I managed to beat 2 Pokemon in a gym that were a few hundred CP above me by dodging and stuff, but the level 1200ish Nidoqueen afterward smashed all of my guys in one hit. So much for that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:01:00 pm by jsh357 »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:15 pm »

Niantic just cracked down on Pokévision and also entirely removed steps rather than fixing the 3-step bug. I have deleted Pokémon Go, as it has now been reduced to a Pidgey-catching engine. Zzzz…

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2016, 08:19:24 pm »

Niantic just cracked down on Pokévision and also entirely removed steps rather than fixing the 3-step bug. I have deleted Pokémon Go, as it has now been reduced to a Pidgey-catching engine. Zzzz…

I'm holding out hope that they'll do something to fix the issue. It sort of helps that I never had footprints working to begin with, do I don't know what I'm missing. For now, I'll exercise patience even though lack of tracking has lost me a Chansey, a Snorlax and 2 Kadabra.

My two mediocre Hypno continue to hold onto their gyms. I wonder if rage-quitting players has anything to do with that.

@jsh you do curve balls by spinning the ball before throwing it. It's surprisingly easy to do well. I personally spin clockwise so I toss from the right side of the screen at 20-45 degrees depending on how far the Pokemon appears to be. The lack of pokestops is really unfortunate. I have spent no money on the game and have actually trashed dozens of pokeballs just for a chance at more great balls and ultra balls.

Losing a battle still nets you experience and affects the gym prestige. As long as you can defeat one Pokemon, you can chip away. It may not be reasonable to do so though, like that level 7 gym where I could only barely beat the Lapras to net like +75 prestige. It's just too much. But it's easier if you're attacking another team's gym. Like, if this level 7 gym was blue or yellow, I would actually consider wearing it down with my current roster.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2016, 08:28:21 pm »
+3

You're too late; I already uninstalled it. Now I can go back to trolling Dominion forums while waiting for the bus again.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2016, 06:32:44 pm »

My ambition is to get strong enough to join the gym closest to where I live, which is currently level 7 with 26k prestige and a cp1074 Lapras in the first slot.  It's been like that for about 4 days now, I think.  If I can get in there, it would probably continue to hold for a long time.

So I got into this gym this morning, but only because it had been taken down overnight.  It was blue before I cleared it out again.  Not sure of its status now since the Pokemon I left there has returned.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 09:29:52 pm »

Drove an extra 3 miles out of my way so my wife could stock up on Pokeballs. This game is bad for the environment, man.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2016, 09:58:52 pm »

Drove an extra 3 miles out of my way so my wife could stock up on Pokeballs. This game is bad for the environment, man.

uw :(

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 07:57:25 am »

Math quiz: How many miles do you have to drive for it to have been cheaper to just buy the Pokeballs?

Hint: you get ~3 per Pokestop on average and 20 Pokeballs for $1 online, so this entirely depends on how many stops were in that 3 mile detour (or 6 mile round trip?) and the mileage of your car.

The good news for me is, I just got a new Prius, so a six mile round trip is like 25 cents for me.

bug me on discord

they/them

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:04 am »

I only get 40 mpg, but it's not terrible. I went through downtown, so the mileage was considerably lower.

But it made for a happy wife, so I'm okay with burning up a dead dinosaur for that.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:43 am »

I only get 40 mpg, but it's not terrible. I went through downtown, so the mileage was considerably lower.

But it made for a happy wife, so I'm okay with burning up a dead dinosaur for that.

I wonder if that calculation is linear

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 04:54:23 pm »

I've been back in my hometown for the last few days (did anyone miss me?) and we have played some Pokemon Go on her phone. Overall, I'm fairly unimpressed. The gameplay feels entirely grindy with no real goal or purpose at the end - you level up to get better stuff to level up some more, to catch more pokemon, and that feels like it's really it. I was impressed by a few things - even in my dinky hometown there's about 5 gyms and 20+ pokestops, although most are right in the city centre with the residential areas being mostly empty. Small villages around also have 4-6 pokestops and often a gym. I was expecting the game to be a lot more empty in less urban areas but they've done a really good job populating the world with stops and gyms. I'm sure it isn't perfect but hey, it's pretty good. The chance to catch pokemon feels really low - I'd often have to hit rattatas and pidgeys with 3+ pokeballs, even ones with just 10 cp, and after using a Razz Berry as well.

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters. The nearby pokemon feature would normally be full of just these 5 pokemon, plus the occasional Drowzee and Eevee which probably makes up another 5-10% of pokemon. That means of the 151 pokemon in the game - well probably more like 146 discounting legendaries and stuff - the majority is just way too rare. Yeah, I know it has to be uncommon to give the game some longevity, but it feels way too much, and its really repetitive. My sister has been playing about two weeks and has only caught just over 40 different pokemon - less than 1/3rd of available ones, after two weeks. Even sillier is the levelling system feels backwards - catching rarer or harder to catch pokemon gives no real reward over common ones, except the first time bonus, so once you've caught one e.g. Hitmonlee, catching a second one is probably a waste of balls, unless you want to power it up. Maybe the plan is that once gen 2+ comes out it'll mostly be the common pokemon whose catch rates are dropped, and the rare pokemons appearance rate is based on what they'll need to be with all seven gens - but who knows?

Also, battles and gyms. The game seems to give really bad info on what each move does, and really the only way to know is to use it and work it out. Battles feel pretty bland, and gyms just feel kinda pointless. We only found out today what it actually does to have a pokemon in one - so basically the gym game is, go take 1 or 2 gyms over if possible, hit coin bonus button, not care about gyms at all for another day. Um yay?

In short... yeah, I don't feel like there's really too much here that's interesting. I'm not surprised the game gained traction - it's a really fun, cool idea. But I had no interest in playing before, and having messed around with the game, I can't say I'm interested in downloading it myself.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2016, 06:01:05 pm »

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters.

It varies drastically by region.  I have only seen one weedle, and about 5 spearows, where I have a ton of ekans and sandshrews.  I would also love to see a drowzee

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

And man the rarity of pokemon is just... ugh. I'm sure that Rattata + Pidgey + Spearow + Weedle + Zubat makes up about 85% of pokemon encounters.

It varies drastically by region.  I have only seen one weedle, and about 5 spearows, where I have a ton of ekans and sandshrews.  I would also love to see a drowzee

Meanwhile, I haven't seen a single Sandshrew (but did catch one random Sandslash) but have caught over 100 Drowzee based on the amount of Candy I have.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2016, 12:34:21 am »
+1

Found out there are actual catch numbers in the Pokedex.  I've seen 173 Drowzee and caught 153.  I don't think that counts all the Drowzee that I've walked past without clicking on.

I hatched my third 10k egg today.  It was a Jynx.  Not only that, it was a Jynx that is lower CP than three other Jynx I have.  It is literally my least wanted 10k egg possibility.  My 10k egg track record is not good, not good at all.

BTW, for anybody sad about the removal of tracking, it should be coming back soon.  The current version has a much more reliably radar (it updates accurately!  And I'm pretty sure being at the top of the list actually means something!) and they're testing out a new tracker with some users where it shows the Pokemon's nearest Pokestop.

Edit: I took a screenshot of some of my Pokemon after lucky egg evolutions today.

Of my top 20 highest CP Pokemon, 12 of them are Hypno now.  I don't know how many to keep.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:25:23 am by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2016, 06:14:38 am »
+2

Found out there are actual catch numbers in the Pokedex.  I've seen 173 Drowzee and caught 153.  I don't think that counts all the Drowzee that I've walked past without clicking on.

I hatched my third 10k egg today.  It was a Jynx.  Not only that, it was a Jynx that is lower CP than three other Jynx I have.  It is literally my least wanted 10k egg possibility.  My 10k egg track record is not good, not good at all.

BTW, for anybody sad about the removal of tracking, it should be coming back soon.  The current version has a much more reliably radar (it updates accurately!  And I'm pretty sure being at the top of the list actually means something!) and they're testing out a new tracker with some users where it shows the Pokemon's nearest Pokestop.

Edit: I took a screenshot of some of my Pokemon after lucky egg evolutions today.

Of my top 20 highest CP Pokemon, 12 of them are Hypno now.  I don't know how many to keep.

Keep them. Get a high level poison type pokemon. Put it in a gym. Throw Hypno after Hypno at it to level up the gym's prestige.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2016, 12:39:07 pm »

I've opted to keep 7 of them, which still feels like a bit much.

I don't really want to invest time into levelling up a gym I'm already in. If I use your strategy, it would also be easy for someone else to take down with their own Hypno squad.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:28 pm »
+6

All right, I downloaded it so that I can join my wife on her walks. I'll still be fat, but I may be a healthier fat.

Fear my level-3 ass.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 10:48:14 am »
+1

Giving this game a shot. I’m a whopping level 8. Since I work right on top of a Pokestop, my bag is full. I’m thinking of using potions and revives rather than tossing them.

So even though I suck, is it worth it to attack gyms? I’m sure I can’t win, but are there benefits to losing? I’ve already deleted 25 Revives, and I prefer to use crap rather than delete them, but I’ll do what I can. I got my first raspberries, so I guess I’ll use those on orange Pokemon.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:44 pm »

If you defeat at least one Pokemon, it takes some prestige away from the gym even if you lose. You should probably be able to defeat a Pokemon with 6 vs. 1. You'll also get some experience for it. If you go at it long enough with enough potions and Revives, you can bring down a gym. Other players may help as well.

When you get Pokemon in gyms, you can click a button in the top right of your Shop page to collect 10 coins and 500 stardust per gym you are in. You can click it once every 21 hours.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
+2

The game gives out more revives than most people need.

My wife and I carefully chose 10 gyms to place our pokemon in last night, hoping they would be too high level for other people to want to bother with them, and today we just collected on all 10 gyms again without having to do anything.

Good feeling!

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »

ooh, what happens if you marry someone on a different team than you? i've never done it before

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
+2

ooh, what happens if you marry someone on a different team than you? i've never done it before

You don't. You just don't.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »

My wife and I carefully chose 10 gyms to place our pokemon in last night, hoping they would be too high level for other people to want to bother with them, and today we just collected on all 10 gyms again without having to do anything.

Good feeling!

All the gyms around me have average turnover rate, which is to say you will be lucky if you hold it for more than 30 minutes.  The best I've managed is about a week in a level 6-8 gym (it fluctuated a bit).  I've yet to see a level 10 gym.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:52 pm »

Good feeling!

All the gyms around me have average turnover rate, which is to say you will be lucky if you hold it for more than 30 minutes.  The best I've managed is about a week in a level 6-8 gym (it fluctuated a bit).  I've yet to see a level 10 gym.

We've had to travel around 20-25 minutes away to places that have high concentrations of instinct players and we found a lot of level 6-8 level gyms in those areas. We got 10 gyms on Monday, today we have 9 only so we lost one. On the weekend we usually lose 4 or 5 and we get them again on Monday. The stuff in our area will not stick no matter what we do.

We also do a lot of cemetaries because those close at night and that makes it harder for people to take them whenever they feel like it. We'll go do those right after work.

It does take a decent amount of time to train a gym up from level 6-8 or 8-10 so we can place stuff, but with two people it goes fast enough.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2016, 09:42:50 am »

So are curve balls as useless as they seem?

I’ll put a wicked spin on a ball and hit the Pokemon with it, but it doesn’t always count as a curveball.

Conversely, I’ve done straight shots that registered as curve balls.

I’m sure there’s a reasonable algorithm for it, but it just seems so random to me.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2016, 11:23:30 am »
+1

I throw curve balls because I can more consistently get a good throw. It counts as a curveball for me probably 80% of the time, but I am also better at getting "great" or "excellent" throws using a curveball.

Even then, the extra xp will add up over the course of time. Not a significant amount, but eventually

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2016, 11:40:39 am »

I throw curve balls because I can more consistently get a good throw. It counts as a curveball for me probably 80% of the time, but I am also better at getting "great" or "excellent" throws using a curveball.

Even then, the extra xp will add up over the course of time. Not a significant amount, but eventually

No dispute over extra XP. +10% is nothing to sneeze at. It just seems that I put forth the effort to curve it, and I don’t get that bonus about half the time. Meanwhile, a lazy throw gets me the bonus part of the time. I’m wondering if it’s worth draining my balls for a bonus that might not even get applied.

Fortunately, I work on top of a Poke Stop, so I should only be suffering on the weekend, and that’s assuming I’m very active in an isolated area (that doesn’t sound like me).
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2016, 12:52:15 pm »

Along with the experience, Curve is also believed to increase capture rate. I'm getting Curve Ball pretty much 100% of the time now so maybe you just need more practice? I'm on Android (Galaxy S5) if that helps (maybe iOS or other phones aren't registering it as well). Yesterday I was trying to catch a Ninetales and had already lost 15 ultra balls, many falling short. I tried to not curve it to get more distance but it's already too deep a habit. I did get the Ninetales after another 5 ultra balls though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2016, 03:01:54 pm »

If it improves the capture rate or the chance of getting a ring bonus, then it’s worth a shot. Have you considered confirmation bias, or are you pretty confident that that’s not a factor?

In any case, spinning curve balls is a lot more interesting than flicking upward, even if I lose a few balls doing it. So there is that benefit (when I have time to dick around with curve balls).
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:51 pm »

I don't have enough experience without Curve Ball to compare. It's a common belief, but confirmation bias is a major factor with lots of theories for Pokemon Go.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »

Current 10k egg track record:

- Omanyte (cool)
- Eevee (boo)
- Jynx (worst!)
- Onix (mehhh)
- Omanyte (still good)
- Onix (ughhh)
- Jynx (whyyyyyyyy)

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:47 pm »

I know I did have a learning curve figuring out technique for spinning and spent a lot of pokeballs figuring it out, but yeah. Definitely worth it

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2016, 07:06:12 pm »
+1

Current 10k egg track record:

- Omanyte (cool)
- Eevee (boo)
- Jynx (worst!)
- Onix (mehhh)
- Omanyte (still good)
- Onix (ughhh)
- Jynx (whyyyyyyyy)

I hatched 3 rattatas in a row from 2k eggs. Whyyyyyy?!? I want starters :(

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2016, 12:11:43 am »
+1

Also wishing for starters, especially Bulbasaur.  I've yet to see one in the wild and Bulbasaur is my favourite gen 1 starter.

I hatched two more 10k eggs today.  First was an Eevee.  For the second one, I decided to go superstitious and make sure I was standing on top of a pokestop that seems to be a "common" rare spawn point.  It was a Lapras.  So I'm going to be trying to do that again for the last 10k egg I have on hand.  Not sure if I want to fill up on 9 incubators again, so I may not have such a run of 10k eggs for a while.

Today I also hatched two Krabby, a Weedle, Rattata (I think), Zubat, couple of Nidoran... basically nothing of interest except for that Lapras.

Also had a Dragonite run from me after a single Razz Berry + Ultra Ball.  It was cp2080 and would have been my very first Pokemon over 2000.  So I'm currently 2/4 on Dragonite, with the two strongest running (the two I have are low level, at 16xx and 9xx).  This one stings a little more because it was also 91% IV (though not optimal move set).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:12:55 am by eHalcyon »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:52 am »

I have a CP 23 Kingler that I'm keeping around mostly because it amuses me. I want to give it some kind of witty nickname and install it in a gym for the 30 seconds or so it typically takes for them to be taken over around here, but I don't know what to call it. Any thoughts?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2016, 01:41:08 am »

I have a CP 23 Kingler that I'm keeping around mostly because it amuses me. I want to give it some kind of witty nickname and install it in a gym for the 30 seconds or so it typically takes for them to be taken over around here, but I don't know what to call it. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, other people will not be able to see the nickname.  It's only visible to you.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2016, 03:01:20 am »
+1

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:14 am »
+1

Unfortunately, other people will not be able to see the nickname.  It's only visible to you.

Considering the nature of the internet (this qualifies), this is probably a very wise move.

Getting the hang of curveballs. My confirmation bias is kicking in, and I already feel like they are improving my shots. I should seriously consider running a tally so I don’t sink deeper into confirmation bias.

But like I said, it adds a little fun into an otherwise boring activity. I’m sure taking on gyms will be more exciting, and I read about how the type of Pokemon is a bigger factor than CP. Now to figure out this IV stuff people are talking about.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2016, 06:18:27 pm »

All right, so this appraisal thing...

I've been reading about what it means, and I've been taking to marking as favorites those that are classified as a wonder.

But what if the CP is low for the critter? Is it still worth keeping it even though it has a high IV?

And if I have a high-CP critter (I absolutely don't) with less-than-great IV, should I make it into candy anyway?
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2016, 07:05:49 pm »

All right, so this appraisal thing...

I've been reading about what it means, and I've been taking to marking as favorites those that are classified as a wonder.

But what if the CP is low for the critter? Is it still worth keeping it even though it has a high IV?

And if I have a high-CP critter (I absolutely don't) with less-than-great IV, should I make it into candy anyway?

It really depends on your overall goals. High CP with low IVs could still be useful, depending on its moveset. Low CP with high IVs is going to cost a lot in candy and stardust, so likely won't be worth it, but if it's fully evolved with a good moveset, maybe it'd be one worth investing in. If you don't mind playing the long game, keep hold of those low CP/high IV pokemon and if you don't get anything better, you can level them later. If you want something good now, you're probably gonna care more about IVs. In all cases though moveset is generally more important than IVs - getting a good moveset can affect your damage output a lot more than getting good IVs will affect damage and survival.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2016, 08:42:11 am »

Hmm, yes, I should pay more attention to attacks, I suppose.

So I see a lot of staples in gym defenders. What are some of the best monsters to use to attack the standard guard? I learned my Golbat tears through the three-headed egg-tree creature. I’m guessing it’s mostly because of his poison versus their grass, but I suspect there’s a bigger bonus at work here. He was less than half the size of the defender.

Now I feel stagnant. I was able to powerlevel to 12 Sunday through Friday. Then I was able to jump to 18 Friday through Sunday (thanks, lucky egg Pidgie spam). Now I’m languishing at 18 with over 10k XP to go. No time to go walking around tonight either. If my wife was worried that I’d surpass her, those fears can be put to rest—for now.
A man has no signature

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:43 am »

Hmm, yes, I should pay more attention to attacks, I suppose.

So I see a lot of staples in gym defenders. What are some of the best monsters to use to attack the standard guard? I learned my Golbat tears through the three-headed egg-tree creature. I’m guessing it’s mostly because of his poison versus their grass, but I suspect there’s a bigger bonus at work here. He was less than half the size of the defender.

Now I feel stagnant. I was able to powerlevel to 12 Sunday through Friday. Then I was able to jump to 18 Friday through Sunday (thanks, lucky egg Pidgie spam). Now I’m languishing at 18 with over 10k XP to go. No time to go walking around tonight either. If my wife was worried that I’d surpass her, those fears can be put to rest—for now.

You can come play at the plaza with my wife and I this Friday/Saturday or Sunday night. We're both in KC too.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2016, 10:36:55 am »

You can come play at the plaza with my wife and I this Friday/Saturday or Sunday night. We're both in KC too.

We did that last Friday and Saturday night. I probably walked about 5k last weekend on the Plaza. And I never do that!

But yeah, that’s where I powerleveled from 12 to 18. So many lures. I haven’t yet used any of my personal lures.

The drive home Friday was intense. We avoided getting rained on in the Plaza, but we ended up kayaking up Main Street. A couple of times I just had to floor it and skip over the water to avoid flooding.

This weekend I’ll be at the in-laws in Pittsburg. According to my wife, there are a ton of egg monsters down there. Probably not a lot of Poke Stops, so I better stock up on balls. The nephews play, so I predict more walking—just not as lucrative as the Plaza. Maybe I’ll teach them how to Pidgie spam.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »

Egg Monsters.  I've only had a couple of those, could use more so I can grow a tree.

Bug-type moves are actually strongest against Exeggutor, but the Bug-types in the game tend to be weak.  Fire and Ice are both good against Grass.

You'll want a good Grass-type to take down Vaporeon and Poliwrath.  Victreebel with Razor Leaf and Solar Beam is excellent.  Depending on your location, Venusaur or Vileplume may be more accessible.  Parasect with Solar Beam can work too.

Lapras is just generally tough, not many solid counters.  Likewise with Snorlax.  Personally, I just have to go with brute force.

Dragonite is double-weak to Ice (in Pokemon Go, that's 1.56x modifier) so Lapras with all Ice moves is best.  Other Ice-types like Cloyster and Dewgong can work well too.  Fairy-types are strong against Dragon and resist Dragon-type attacks, so Wigglytuff and Clefable can work wonders.  Dragons are also weak to Dragon, and Flying is weak to Rock.  So your own Dragonite or Rock-type pokemon with strong Rock moves are good.

What other Pokemon are standard guard in your region?

Re: IVs, I'm trying to hold out for decent IVs, but it's generally pointless because I'm not powering them up anyway, so it would actually be better for me to just pick my highest CP.  I've done that in a few cases where I have excessive candy, e.g. I've evolved about 4 poor-IV high-CP Clefairy and still have nearly 500 Clefairy Candy to spare while I wait to get a high IV one.  My current best is 17xx Clefable with Pound+Moonblast.  I call her Dragonslayer.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2016, 02:25:20 pm »

I haven’t hit that many gyms. Iguana may be able to tell us more about what defenders are common around here.

I’ve seen the three-headed egg tree a few times (even though I rarely run into the eggs in the wild). The various evolutions of Eevees are kind of popular, which makes sense considering that Eevees are almost as common as Pidgies around here.

I’ve barely qualified for the medal for fighting 10 gym battles, so I’m pretty ignorant in that regard.

I suppose I’ll look for creatures with high CPs (it seems that the arc at the top of the picture gives a graphical comparative indication of how powerful a Pokemon is) that also blow the appraiser away. I’ve got this Oddish that is 533 CP, which is pretty high on that scale. But it was captured 3 days ago (not sure what level I was but definitely lower). So even though 533 shows up as pretty high for me, it could have been higher if I was level 25 when I caught it, right? So maybe I shouldn’t get too attached to this guy even though his IV is astounding?
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2016, 05:05:20 pm »

Vaporeon is strong.  Flareon isn't really; its CP is high but it's overinflated due to high base attack (with low defenses).  Vaporeon, other Water-types or Ground- or Rock- types will easily take it down.  Jolteon tends to be super weak; Ground-types will be effective there, but even Vaporeon (which is weak to Electric) should be able to beat Jolteon.

The arc at the top of the picture is actually a representation of the Pokemon's level, but IVs mean that a Pokemon with a higher level could still have lower CP than a Pokemon at a lower level.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:14 pm »

So the only thing IV does is increase the cap on HP/level for a given pokemon? From my not-very-knowledgeable perspective I see three things affecting battles:

1) type of pokemon (strengths/weaknesses
2) strength/speed of attack (DPS for various attacks)
3) HP of pokemon

Trainer level/CP of the pokemon only increase the HP as far as I can tell. Does IV increase critical attack percentage or something like that? Or simply change the CP (practically how high of an HP a pokemon can have) caps at various trainer levels?

Like my vaporeon, for instance. I am level 21 and my vaporeon is maxed out at CP 1718 with an HP of 171. Basically, according to silph road that is slightly better than average. So with a higher IV I could theoretically have a vaporeon with like 1800 CP and 180 HP? I have the best possible move set on my vaporeon (water gun/hydro pump), and it seems like the 10 HP is somewhat negligible, or at least not enough for me to really consider ditching it for a higher IV vaporeon. Unless IV does something else as well.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:27 pm »

Also, theory question.

Currently level 21. Getting to level 22 takes 75000 xp and keeps going up from there. In order to maintain a pokemon at max CP you have to upgrade it 3/4 times at most each level. Which for me right now is 3 candy/3000 stardust, I am sure I can find charts to tell me what it changes to later.

How many pokemon should I keep maxed out or do you guys think that is a waste of time? I have a Clefable and a Vaporeon with the best possible moves, but not as good an IV. To keep them maxed I will only spend 25000 candy(ish) per level, which still banks about 30000 candy per level.

Basically, I say after level 20 keeping a couple maxed out pokemon is fine. I know level 28 guys who have like 300k candy. I mean, candy is meant to be used, right? Maintaining a steady increase of candy while keeping a few maxed pokemon seems good to me. Then by level 27/28 I should be able to keep 4/5 maxed then level 30+ at least 6 probably more.

What are your candy usage strategies?

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2016, 08:24:10 pm »

So the only thing IV does is increase the cap on HP/level for a given pokemon? From my not-very-knowledgeable perspective I see three things affecting battles:

1) type of pokemon (strengths/weaknesses
2) strength/speed of attack (DPS for various attacks)
3) HP of pokemon

Trainer level/CP of the pokemon only increase the HP as far as I can tell. Does IV increase critical attack percentage or something like that? Or simply change the CP (practically how high of an HP a pokemon can have) caps at various trainer levels?

Like my vaporeon, for instance. I am level 21 and my vaporeon is maxed out at CP 1718 with an HP of 171. Basically, according to silph road that is slightly better than average. So with a higher IV I could theoretically have a vaporeon with like 1800 CP and 180 HP? I have the best possible move set on my vaporeon (water gun/hydro pump), and it seems like the 10 HP is somewhat negligible, or at least not enough for me to really consider ditching it for a higher IV vaporeon. Unless IV does something else as well.

Each pokemon has three hidden IVs. HP, Defense, Attack. HP is HP and can be determined with an IV calculator. Combat Power is a metric of the Pokemon's total defense and attack stats, including the IV bonuses.

So there can be an 1800 Vaporeon with 170 hitpoints, and most often it would beat your vaporeon with 1700CP and 170 hitpoints.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2016, 08:31:24 pm »

Also, theory question.

Currently level 21. Getting to level 22 takes 75000 xp and keeps going up from there. In order to maintain a pokemon at max CP you have to upgrade it 3/4 times at most each level. Which for me right now is 3 candy/3000 stardust, I am sure I can find charts to tell me what it changes to later.

How many pokemon should I keep maxed out or do you guys think that is a waste of time? I have a Clefable and a Vaporeon with the best possible moves, but not as good an IV. To keep them maxed I will only spend 25000 candy(ish) per level, which still banks about 30000 candy per level.

Basically, I say after level 20 keeping a couple maxed out pokemon is fine. I know level 28 guys who have like 300k candy. I mean, candy is meant to be used, right? Maintaining a steady increase of candy while keeping a few maxed pokemon seems good to me. Then by level 27/28 I should be able to keep 4/5 maxed then level 30+ at least 6 probably more.

What are your candy usage strategies?

I run out of stardust far more than candy. Is that what you mean?

You should probably use the silph road to figure out which pokemon you want to invest in.

Based on this website, these are the pokemon I would invest stardust/candy into, in this order:

Dragonite, Snorlax, Lapras, Arcanine, Blastoise, Exeggutor, Gyarados, Vaporeon, Slowbro, Venusaur.

Anything else is probably not strong enough to warrant heavily investing stardust into, as it will max out a lower combat power, meaning that it won't be able to sit in gyms as high or defend them as well. Getting one with a high combat power IV will also help you push pokemon over 2000 Combat power, to the point where you can start putting them really high up in gyms that you can actually keep, and get pokecoins and stardust from every day.

For perspective, I'm level 27, almost 28, and my wife and I have had 9 gyms for the past week and a half. Last night we went down to 8. Tomorrow we're going to go find 2 more high level gyms and add our new 2000+ pokemon to them so that we have 10 again. We lose one gym like once a week.

And we're instinct.

Achieving this took time researching the best pokemon to power up and also the areas in our city that are the most concentrated with other instinct players willing to constantly take and retake gyms so that no one even tries to take them anymore.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2016, 08:33:55 pm »

As you can imagine, I now suck at dominion and mafia.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2016, 08:40:18 pm »

As you can imagine, I now suck at dominion and mafia.

No, the root cause for this is:

And we're instinct.

You would still be good of you were Valor

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:29 pm »

Valderps are the worst. I am sympathetic to mystic.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »
+1

Valderps are the worst. I am sympathetic to mystic.

Instinct for LYFE!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2016, 01:16:15 am »

I'm on Valor, but let's just all get along.

I've yet to see a level 10 gym in my area... I think highest I've seen is 8.  Your ability to hold a gym is going to depend a lot on what it's like around you.

Don't invest stardust into something with poor moves.  Also not sure if Blastoise should really be prioritized over Vaporeon; last I heard, Vaporeon was generally better.  Some people were even throwing out "strictly better".

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:18 am »

I'm on Valor, but let's just all get along.

I've yet to see a level 10 gym in my area... I think highest I've seen is 8.  Your ability to hold a gym is going to depend a lot on what it's like around you.

Don't invest stardust into something with poor moves.  Also not sure if Blastoise should really be prioritized over Vaporeon; last I heard, Vaporeon was generally better.  Some people were even throwing out "strictly better".

Sure, based on moveset I assume. I still don't have one yet so it's somewhat a moot point for me. But yeah it's a shame how they made common stuff outclass the rare stuff.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:50:31 am by iguanaiguana »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2016, 08:29:58 am »

Don't invest stardust into something with poor moves. 

I’m not certain what I’m looking for here. How can I tell if a Pokemon has poor moves or not?

Do Pokemons of the same names not have similar moves? Should I have been looking at the moves before crushing them into candy?

On a happy note, I was able to powerlevel to 20. I gained about 39k XP from using the Lucky Egg and evolving like a mofo. Unfortunately, my priority was on getting to level 20, so it was not as efficient as it could have been. I evolved all my guys with 8 minutes to spare on my Lucky Egg. Clearly I need to let them build up more next time, but I wanted to hit 20 sooner than later so I can stock up on Ultra Balls before I enter the wasteland this weekend. Working on top of a Poke Stop helps.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2016, 09:16:58 am »

I’m not certain what I’m looking for here. How can I tell if a Pokemon has poor moves or not?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-02-pokemon-go-moves-movesets-move-list-and-highest-dps-attacks

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
+2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-02-pokemon-go-moves-movesets-move-list-and-highest-dps-attacks

That list is probably outdated now.  Move powers sometimes change (e.g. early on, Water Gun was nerfed and Hydro Pump was buffed) and movesets can be changed as well (e.g. Gyarados can no longer have Dragon Breath, Golem now gets Mud Slap instead of Mud Shot).  Also, some moves are better for offense vs. defense.  Every Pokemon has 1-3 quick moves and like 2-3 charge moves possible, I think.  As far as anybody knows right now, it's all random and the moves get re-rolled upon evolution.

Values to note are:

- Power
- Type
- Cooldown
- Energy (gain for quick moves, cost for charge moves)

Only the first two are shown.  For the others, you've got to check online.

Power is self-explanatory.  Higher means more damage per attack.

Type matters because you get a Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) multiplier when your Pokemon's move matches its type.  Lapras using Blizzard is better than Seadra using Blizzard, for example.  Note that STAB and type effectiveness (e.g. Water vs. Fire) are both 1.25x multipliers, which basically means that the STAB move will usually be better.  Some people online tout Gyarados with Dragon Pulse as a Dragonite counter, except that Hydro Pump will actually deal more damage to Dragonite despite Dragonite resisting Water, and that's thanks to naturally higher base damage and STAB on Hydro Pump.  I'm hoping that a future update will make it more like the games, where STAB is 1.5x and type effectiveness is 2x.  Maybe that won't carry over well to real-time battling though.

Cooldown matters in two ways.  First, it affects DPS.  A fast attack like Frost Breath has lower damage but higher DPS on offense because you can spam it so fast.  But on defense, the AI seems to attack at a consistent pace so it's better to defend a gym with the slower, stronger quick move.  Secondly, a faster attack makes it a lot easier to dodge.  With slower moves, you may be stuck in an attack animation and miss the dodge timing.

Finally, Energy gain and cost are important because they determine how often you can use your charge move, which can be extremely powerful.  Cooldown actually affects this too (energy per second from your fast attack!) and I think a lot of lists online don't factor this in, focusing on individual DPS instead.  A lot of people called it an upgrade when Golem's Mud Shot was replaced with Mud Slap due to the higher DPS of Mud Slap, but I like my legacy Golem with its fast Mud Shot that charges up Earthquake quickly.

As a general rule of thumb, you want low-cooldown fast moves for offense and high-power fast moves for defense.  You want the powerful one-bar charge moves for offense and the weak multi-bar moves for defense (this is because the AI attacks slowly but gains energy from being damaged, so it's better for them to be using the charge move as often as possible).  For example, Vaporeon with Water Pulse is best for gym defense, but the DPS on Water Pulse is actually lower than DPS of Water Gun so on offense you shouldn't use Water Pulse at all (Hydro Pump is ideal here).

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2016, 03:35:51 pm »

Oh wow. Okay, that’s a lot. But you laid it out nicely, so I appreciate it.

Hmm, so perhaps the ideal Pokemon to keep would have these traits:
  • STAB
  • The best IV
  • A high CP (say, the top quarter of the arc?)

And then if the fast move is quick, use it on offense; otherwise put it on defense.
And if the charge move is cheap to reach, then that also is good for defense.

Does that overly simplified assessment sound about right?

I had no idea that moves would vary among the type. I’ve not been looking at those at all.

I can’t wait to tell my wife. This goes beyond simple button-mashing. I need to give her good news because she’s going to be annoyed that I power-leveled to 20. That’s the same level she’s at. I may even surpass her with my at-work Poke Stops and lucky evolutions.
A man has no signature

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2016, 04:25:11 pm »
+3

I think what you should take away from everything eHalcyon said is that we are playing a very flawed game and we'd better all hope it gets improved soon : )

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2016, 07:12:17 pm »

Just to clarify, the arc tells you the Pokemon level.  Level, base stats for the species and IVs all factor into the CP.  But yeah, that's an OK simplified assessment.  I would add that the one-bar charge attacks tend to be better for offense and OK for defense, while the cheap charge moves tend to be horrible for offense even though they are best for defense (like, using Water Pulse on Vaporeon actually lowers your DPS compared to not using any charge move at all).

But for moves, you just need to look it up.  Sometimes Pokemon don't have good STAB moves, and for all we know Niantic will change various mechanisms next week to throw current rankings out the window. :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2016, 10:47:32 pm »

So I've got my first level 10 gym.  It's one that I've near my home which I've held for 80% of the time anyway, but it was usually at level 6-8.  I find that it tends to be stable over the week but then it gets taken down at some point on the weekend.  Maybe now that it's level 10 it will last.  It was nice because the bottom 2 Pokemon were a 10xx Jolteon and 18xx Flareon, so I just trained against them with my 1291 Golem (with Mud Shot and Earthquake).  Around +800 prestige each time and I barely needed to dodge.  Depending on how soon the Flareon AI chose to use its Fire Blast, sometimes I could not dodge at all and come out with 33% HP remaining.  Another guy was there so we took it up to 42k/50k prestige with 4 open slots.  It's now at level 10 and one slot still open.

This weekend I've been trying to raise up some other big gyms, but I haven't had any luck.  On Saturday I raised multiple gyms up such that they would hit level 7 if they got filled up... and most never did before getting taken down.  One got up to level 9 but the bottom 6 Pokemon were all super weak and that gym was taken down later as well.  Today I tried some other gyms in the same area.  I found 3 that were already level 5-6 with decent Pokemon already, trained them up and joined them.  I thought they had a decent shot of lasting, but they've since fallen as well.  So now I'm holding onto just 2 gyms, and we'll see if that second one falls.  Last I saw it was at level 8 so maybe it'll stand for a while yet.  I don't think I'll have time to try this again in the future.

The most annoying things about gym battling are glitches and lag.  Against one gym full of Water-types, I was able to use my Victreebel to take down 3 in a row.  Then in the next battle, an undying Blastoise prevented a single victory.  In another training situation, I was trying to use a 13xx Clefable and a 10xx Cloyster against a Dragonite.  The CP gap was big enough to need some dodging, which wouldn't be difficult except for occasional spikes of heavy lag.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:51:52 pm by eHalcyon »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »

So I’m 50k shy of hitting level 22. I still have a bunch of Pokemon to go through with the lucky egg. If I can get some more, then I may be able to evolve 60 critters in the half hour, which would be enough to get me to level 22.

Judging from how much more difficult it is to gain levels now, it does seem that now is the time to start looking at pumping Stardust into these things to make them bigger. So should I hold off until 22 to do this? Is there much difference between those two levels?
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2016, 05:35:04 pm »

If you're concerned about IVs, level 20 is basically when it's OK to start using stardust.  This is because hatched Pokemon are more likely to have good IVs and the level of hatches is capped at 20.

I'm level 29 now and still haven't really powered anything up.  I think I'm going to put some stardust into a couple now though.  I've got Victreebel and Machamp with decent IVs and (more importantly) the moveset I want.  I've been using them without powering them up for a while now but I feel like it'll be worth powering up the Victreebel especially so it'll run over all the Water-types in gyms more easily.  I also have a good Vileplume, but I'm going to leave it where it is for the purpose of training gyms (you get more prestige from training when you win with a Pokemon of lower CP).  I'm holding off on powering up my Mud Shot Golem for the same reason.

Powering up works the same way no matter what level you're at.  Your level only means you can power up more.  If you max out a Pokemon now, you'll be able to power it up two more times when your trainer level goes up again.  The main reason to put off powering up is to not waste stardust since you'll probably catch or hatch a better Pokemon later.  But if you already have a good Pokemon that you want to power up, just go for it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:36:53 pm by eHalcyon »

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

If you're concerned about IVs, level 20 is basically when it's OK to start using stardust.  This is because hatched Pokemon are more likely to have good IVs and the level of hatches is capped at 20.

I'm level 29 now and still haven't really powered anything up.  I think I'm going to put some stardust into a couple now though.  I've got Victreebel and Machamp with decent IVs and (more importantly) the moveset I want.  I've been using them without powering them up for a while now but I feel like it'll be worth powering up the Victreebel especially so it'll run over all the Water-types in gyms more easily.  I also have a good Vileplume, but I'm going to leave it where it is for the purpose of training gyms (you get more prestige from training when you win with a Pokemon of lower CP).  I'm holding off on powering up my Mud Shot Golem for the same reason.

Powering up works the same way no matter what level you're at.  Your level only means you can power up more.  If you max out a Pokemon now, you'll be able to power it up two more times when your trainer level goes up again.  The main reason to put off powering up is to not waste stardust since you'll probably catch or hatch a better Pokemon later.  But if you already have a good Pokemon that you want to power up, just go for it.

So I've put stardust mainly into Vaporeons, Arcanines, Exeggutors; also my one Dragonite and Gyarados.

The reason I powered these up is because they have high CP caps, and therefore can sit highest up in gyms. My wife and I like to drive around looking for same-color gyms that are level 6 or higher. Once we both add pokemon to them, they're boosted to at least level 8. Doing this, and finding certain pockets with high level gyms around our city, we've been able to to keep 6-10 gyms on a regular basis. Then you get a lot more stardust every day, and can power up more things. I'm level 28 and I've got my top 10 pokemon maxed out or close, all over 2100.

It seems like it's harder for you to do the same thing where you live and that gyms don't stick around as long. We've had a lot more success on the outside of the metro area; very little success getting gyms to stick either where we live or anywhere close to downtown, or anywhere close to popular pokemon hotspots.

Anyway, yeah, get the gyms, then you don't have to be as conservative with stardust, and sitting high up in the gym seems like the most important thing to me at this time, so I just try to get stuff with a high max CP.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2016, 06:25:02 pm »

I will say that I think Exeggutor is the best easily attainable pokemon in the game. It beats almost anything at the same CP level in a straight fight except Arcanine and maybe dragonite. Even against dragonite it's good with its STAB psychic moves.

My least favorite thing to do is try to power up a gym where Exeggutor is the bottom pokemon you have to fight first. That's a slog.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2016, 08:17:51 am »

Just want to make sure I understand the concept of gyms.

I fought a fellow blue gym yesterday at lunch and increased the gym level so I could put someone in. I got my 10 coins. I got kicked out not too long after that, but that’s no surprise.

This morning, I stopped at a blue gym that had an empty spot and put a Pokemon in there. If he is still there in an hour (21 hours after my previous fight), I’ll get another 10 coins.

I work within walking distance of two (currently) blue gyms. If I had the time to stop at those and fight them to open spots this morning and kept them there, then I could theoretically get 30 coins in an hour. Do I understand that correctly?

So it may be a viable tactic to travel to various gyms 20 hours into the countdown to try to prop up Pokemon where possible? Just making sure I understand the concept.

PS, iguana2, what team are you on? I think I read that it’s not blue, which means I can’t join you on gym-busting, but maybe we can do a Plaza walk sometime. Apparently, people are getting really good stuff in the P&L District.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2016, 01:03:10 pm »

You can collect every 21 hours. For each gym you are in at that time you get coins and stardust.  So yeah, it's more worthwhile to take opposing gyms right before you plan to collect.

I'm in a suburban area but I think there are a few stubborn players who are busting down gyms before they get to level 8+ (I am also one of those players). I set up a full level 7 gym last night, but now it's level 6 in a different colour. Sitting on top of gyms isn't an issue for me. Even without stardust I'm pretty much never lower than third, and I find it rare that people will knock out a couple levels without finishing the job. This is why the 1000cp Jolteon in my single level 10 gym is still there despite being so weak.

Edit: I think Lapras is the strongest defender, whether you're training or just attacking. At least with Exeggutor there's a double Bug weakness to take advantage of and several viable Fire types. I've got nothing that can reliably take Lapras. I find Hypno annoying to train against too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:24:37 pm by eHalcyon »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:03 pm »

So my wife is asking questions that I'm not certain of. I think I understand the concept, and I've been toying with online calculators to figure it out.

It seems like evolving lower-CP Pokemon is useless (unless you're going for XP). Looking at the online calculators, it looks like if you evolve a low-level critter, you get another low-level critter. So I should look for high IVs AND a high level already unless I want to spend lots of stardust and candy. Is that what everyone else does?
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2016, 06:21:59 pm »

It really depends on what you want t do.  When you evolve something, the level and IVs remain the same, but the Pokemon's base stats change (almost always going up) and the moves will get re-rolled (and sometimes the evolved Pokemon has different move possibilities).  Because the base stats go up, evolving will pretty much always make the Pokemon stronger.

If you want the strongest Pokemon possible eventually, then IVs are the main concern.  You can always raise their level later (by powering them up via stardust investment).  If you want strong Pokemon now and don't plan to power them up, then IVs don't really matter and you can just evolve your highest CP one.

In practice, it's probably best to go for a mix depending on what Pokemon are common in your region and which ones you want to use.  Aside from all the mass evolution fodder, I'm mostly reserving evolution of uncommon/rare and powerful Pokemon for those with decent IVs, which usually means hatched Pokemon.  For common ones that are decently strong, I'm still waiting for high IVs but I'll also use excess candy to evolve some high CP ones too.  For example, I have tons of Nidoran (both male and female), Clefairy and Drowzee candy, so I've evolved a few of each based solely on CP.  I'm not going to power them up, but they're useful for attacking and holding gyms now and again.  I still have plenty of candy remaining in case I ever get a great specimen.

These aren't strict rules, of course.  I've evolved some Pokemon with 80ish IVs rather than waiting for 90+.  My Victreebel is 87% but I've invested some stardust into it now because it has the best moveset and evolving another one is an unnecessary gamble.

tl;dr - it's ideal to get one with high IVs AND high level, but it's not really practical because it's tough to find both.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2016, 06:27:30 pm »

Hmm, yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
+2

Just caught that 93% IV bellsprout (with relatively good cp when I caught it) I have been waiting for. Evolved it and now have a 93% IV Victreebel with razor leaf and solar beam. Very happy about it. Planning on maxing it out, just need more candy after using 125 to evolve.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2016, 08:16:53 am »

Am I correct that the vast majority of captured Pokemon should just be ground into candy? 

I'm only level 12 via catching stuff, live in a Zubat area.  Ive read it's not worth doing anything with Pokemon until level 20 or so.

Edit: my best are a 714 Pincir and a 512 Tentacruel, for reference.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:44 am »

I’ve read that too, asherky. Now that I’m nearing level 23, I think I can concur. I still don’t feel like I fully understand everything, but I’m farther along.

One thing to note is that the Pokemon I caught prior to level 20 are pretty much useless to me right now. I don’t use them in gym battles. I still sometimes use my 784-CP Jolteon because he’s my strongest electric Pokemon (with both his attacks being electric). He also has a great IV score that ranks him as a wonder. But he’s much lower level than me, and it would take a lot to raise his level. So I’m putting that off because I want to get a Jolteon with a great IV score that takes very little to power up.

On the other hand, my best Vaporeon has a high IV score, it has the oft-lauded same-type attack bonus, and I got him at a fairly high level. I still had to power him up, but it wasn’t overly expensive to get him to the 1865 CP that he is now.

I still hang onto some of those wonders from my early levels. I have a 941-CP Tauros that’s a wonder that I want to build up, but I have higher-level Tauroses that would be cheaper to power up, but they are not wonders. I’m still not wholly sure what to do with them. I still have plenty of Stardust, but I can see where it can be depleted pretty quickly, so I’m cautious in my power-ups. I’ve only powered up that Vapereon and a Golbat that has same-type attack bonuses with his flying attacks. I’ve been reticent to power up anything else.

But I think that the decision to not power up anything until level 20 is a good one. My wife, who started before me and didn’t get the recommendations I did, is very low on stardust. She powered up her favorites early on. I’m still doing very well in Stardust and waited. I think it wasn’t until I was level 21 that I powered up my Vaporeon. No regrets.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2016, 09:12:54 am »

Oh yes, and the big thing I noticed is that it’s quick to level up at lower levels (typical of these games), so it’s easy to outlevel the Pokemon you captured at those levels. I’ve been trudging through 100k to get from 22 to 23. I saw a screen shot of a level 26 that needed 200k to advance.

So, level 20+ is a slow zone, so it’ll take you a lot longer to outlevel your Pokemon. And if you do, then it doesn’t take much to bring them back up (or so I assume).

Level 19 felt pretty slow too. I guess as soon as you find yourself spending several days on the same level, you’ve hit the spot where you’re no longer in danger of outleveling your menagerie.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2016, 09:35:41 am »

I'm guessing just being a wonder isn't enough to warrant caring?  My 99 CP Goldeen is a wonder with Attack/HP equally tops.  But in the end, it's worthless, right?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2016, 09:48:44 am »

I'm guessing just being a wonder isn't enough to warrant caring?  My 99 CP Goldeen is a wonder with Attack/HP equally tops.  But in the end, it's worthless, right?

This is where it becomes more speculative for me, and you should rely on someone refuting or supporting my claim.

I believe that the IV carries over to the evolution, so your Goldeen is a wonder now and will continue to be a wonder if you choose to evolve it. But it will be at a lower level. It would be wimpy right away, but you could pump stardust and candy into it until it’s max level, but it sounds like it would take a lot more than if you found a Goldeen at higher CP. So in that case, it’s potentially not worthless, but it would be expensive. It might be better to wait for another Goldeen that’s also a wonder but higher?

But from what I’ve been told (mostly here), the same-type attack bonus (STAB) is a bigger factor. If the attack is the same type as the monster, then that attack does 25%(?) more. That’s why my Vapereon is pretty tough. He’s water, and both his attack types are water. I see a difference, especially when I attack fire and rock monsters.

The STAB is also why I’m reluctant to advance just any of my Pokemon. I want to advance only the ones that’ll do some serious damage, and I see how STAB may be the way to go.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2016, 11:59:27 am »

So this sounds interesting. I hatched a 10k egg, and it was a Jynx. I never saw one before, so I looked it up. Apparently it’s only available in 10k eggs? All righty then.

It’s a wonder, and it’s got 964 CP. Someone said on here that their max level is 20 from eggs, which is what the IV calculator says it is.

So it seems like this may be worth powering up. It has the perfect STAB with an ice fast attack and a psychic charged attack, both of which match its type. I’m guessing I can’t power it up to the 2k CP levels that I’ve been seeing, but then again, none of my guys are that high anyway.
A man has no signature

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2016, 12:30:09 pm »

So this sounds interesting. I hatched a 10k egg, and it was a Jynx. I never saw one before, so I looked it up. Apparently it’s only available in 10k eggs? All righty then.

It’s a wonder, and it’s got 964 CP. Someone said on here that their max level is 20 from eggs, which is what the IV calculator says it is.

So it seems like this may be worth powering up. It has the perfect STAB with an ice fast attack and a psychic charged attack, both of which match its type. I’m guessing I can’t power it up to the 2k CP levels that I’ve been seeing, but then again, none of my guys are that high anyway.

Jynx has a very low max-CP, and does not evolve, which makes it a poor choice to power up unfortunately.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2016, 04:45:06 pm »

Jynx has a very low max-CP, and does not evolve, which makes it a poor choice to power up unfortunately.

*sad trombone*

Well, that's why I ask around first. I was so excited too.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2016, 09:52:21 pm »

Probably not worth powering up.  Seaking just isn't very strong, and the investment to get that Goldeen levelled up is extremely high.  And Seaking currently doesn't get a single Water-type attack.

Re: STAB, it is very important at this time, but that doesn't mean it will always stay that way.  I actually hope that Niantic will adjust the multipliers so that type effectiveness has a bigger impact than STAB (in the real games, it's 2x for super effective, 1.5x for STAB; in PoGo right now it's 1.25x for either).  That way, more moves will have some niche uses rather than being subpar (almost) every time.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:50 pm »
+1

So I've been taking my magic carp for a walk. Got 2k out of him. But he's only a carp, so I guess I've been taking him for a drag.

But that's cool. I need more carp candies.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2016, 09:02:13 am »

So what do you spend coins on? I’m only getting 10 a day since gyms downtown have such a high turnover rate. I had one gym last the full 21 hours, and that was out in the suburbs. And the game was down during the time when I could have gotten other gyms to see more than 10 coins that day. *shakes tiny fist*

It’s slow going, but I’m steadily building up a coin bank. Trying to figure out what is best to spend them on.

• Storage expansion: Seems an obvious choice, but I’m not lamenting my storage options now. I sit on a Poke Stop at work, so I hit the 350 limit easily, but when I go out and catch Pokemon, I don’t feel like I didn’t have enough. So I’m thinking not a high priority for me.
  • Incense/Lure: So these are good for increasing the appearance of Pokemon, but they don’t seem to be that impressive. When I use them, I tend to see common crap showing up. I did use an incense once when walking with my nephews, and the three-headed bird appeared just for me, so that was pretty special. Do cool things show up frequently enough to make these worth pursuing?
  • Balls: Seems like a bad plan. Anything I can get from a Poke Stop I shouldn’t need to buy, especially since they’re not even upgraded.
  • Incubator: Considering the cost of this, I don’t feel this is a great deal, but I guess eggs have a greater chance of having high IV scores, so maybe hatching more of them would be a goal worth pursuing?
  • Lucky Egg: I’m leaning toward this, but I could be talked out of it. Assuming I can evolve 60 Pokemon in a 30-minute period, a Lucky Egg can be worth a free 30k XP. At 23rd level, this is a small dent in the XP needed, but it’s a bigger jump than catching Pokemon. Ideally, I should save up for the 8-pack, but that’s going to be slow going at 10 coins/day. I’m not even going to pretend I can save up for the 25-pack. Maybe if I find a way to pop into five gyms each day, but I doubt it.
A man has no signature

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2016, 06:18:16 pm »

From what I've seen, the general recommendation I've seen is that there's only really two main things worth spending coins on, and that's Lucy Eggs and Incubators. Lucky Eggs are of course wads and wads of EXP, while Incubators mean a few more egg pokemon, which themselves are pretty valuable (lots of candies, higher IVs, often higher level). On top of that, time 9 egg incubators to all hatch at the same time an Egg is active, and you can get a LOT of extra EXP.

This video is worth a look for the first 1-2 minutes, as it answers this question.

Item storage is also worth considering depending on your location and pokestop availability, but basically it comes down to this: Would that extra storage actually be useful? Are you regularly both hitting your storage cap AND using most or all of your items? If you aren't doing both, the extra storage doesn't really help very much - you might be regularly capping from sitting on a pokestop at work, but if you don't get to use all of the stuff you pick up from that, well, you're still going to have the exact same problem, just with more stuff left over.

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »

back when i played (i remember like it was yesterday) i used an old google play gift card i had and bought incubator, lucky egg and incense. popping a lucky egg/incense seems like the superbest way to level quickly (common garbagemons don't give any less exp than the cool ones because of how much you get from evolution) but incubators seemed to be the best way to try to get a bunch of different cool ones

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2016, 07:06:54 pm »

Upgrade storage whenever you feel like you need more storage.  Item storage is a bigger deal when you don't have easy access to pokestops; more storage lets you go somewhere with stop density, fill up and then just last on that for a while.  Personally, I like having the storage space to hold onto 50+ ultra balls, because I know first hand how quickly I can burn through those against a rare Pokemon like Dragonite.

Pokemon storage is handy for a few things.  It's good if you catch a lot at once and want to hold on to them to check IVs later.  Appraisal makes it easier to transfer immediately though.  Personally, a fair amount of my space is getting filled up with rare Pokemon that I don't want to transfer (may be good for trades in the future!), common stuff I'm saving for mass evolution, various Pokemon with decent IVs that I intend to evolve in the future (and back-ups in case the first try has bad moves), various Pokemon with high CP that I might evolve if I have a surplus of candy and don't really plan to power up... I'm a bit of a hoarder, actually.

Incense has never really worked out for me so I don't intend to buy it.  I still have a free one I haven't used yet.  You get more out of it if you're moving, and research from folks online seems to indicate that you'll have better odds of rare stuff if you use it in the middle of nowhere, far away from where Pokemon spawn naturally.  That said, rare stuff is certainly possible... I just haven't experienced it myself.

Lures can be good but I'm selfish.

I think balls are there mostly as a last resort.  Like, you run into Dragonite but you're out of Pokeballs and pokestops are far away.  Buy some pokeballs quickly!!  But there are enough pokestops around me that this has never been an issue for me.

Incubators are actually pretty good.  If your goal is to fill up your Pokedex, eggs can get you a lot of stuff not normally found around you.  For example, I've never seen a Doduo wild but I've hatched several from eggs, enough to evolve one into Dodrio.  If your goal is to get strong Pokemon, hatched Pokemon usually have better IVs.  Moreover, hatching Pokemon gets you a nice bit of candy (I think it's 5-35) and stardust.  If you want to be super cost efficient, just save disposable incubators for 10k eggs only.

Lucky Egg can be good, but I feel some buyer's remorse from them.  I got enough out of Pokemon Go as a free player that I decided to put money into the game.  I was past level 25 with no more Lucky Eggs remaining, and no chance of another free one until Level 30.  Since I had enough to do mass evolution, I wanted another egg.  And to get the best deal, I bought the 25 pack... Now I'm at level 29 and I've only used 2 eggs so far.  One more mass evolution should get me to level 30.  And from then on, levelling up has vastly diminished returns, so I'm not sure if all those eggs wil be worthwhile.  That said, it may be good long-term if they raise the level cap later.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2016, 11:58:03 am »

Just caught my first Gyrados!  Exciting to see him next to a small pond.

Appraise...a Wonder!

CP...37.  Sadfaceemoji.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2016, 12:34:21 am »

Anyone still playing? 

I'm level 32 and still going.  Currently saving 10k eggs and various fodder pokemon for the upcoming Halloween event.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2016, 01:20:49 am »

Slowing down but still at it. Level 23 right now.

And yes, totally going pokewalking on Halloween.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2016, 04:06:47 am »

I slowly made it to 18, then Lucky Egg'ed to 19.  I have plenty of Weedles to evolve now.  Not sure what I'm doing other than collecting Pokémon, though.  Gyms are basically impossible to break into without a set of 2000+ CP Pokémon in your arsenal.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2018, 10:08:18 pm »

I love the new quests. Excuse me, research. As someone who does not have a raiding group and basically only plays when I take my dog on a walk, I am excited to potentially fill in the holes of my missing legendaries (still need articuno, lugia, suicide, rayquaza, and kyogre). Mewtwo who knows. I don't raid enough to get an EX pass.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2019, 10:05:12 am »

Necro but...started up again a few months ago after losing interest. Liking it more now. Anyone else still playing?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 19, 2019, 01:25:22 pm »

Necro but...started up again a few months ago after losing interest. Liking it more now. Anyone else still playing?

Yeah! Started it 2 months ago, not playing it so much like at the start, but keep up with daily chains and all this stuff
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 19, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »

Yeah! Started it 2 months ago, not playing it so much like at the start, but keep up with daily chains and all this stuff

Same.  They finally added the rest of the non-legendary Sinnoh pokemon, so there's that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2019, 12:48:52 pm »

Still playing as well. Send me a PM if you want my friend code

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 23, 2019, 09:05:57 pm »

Still playing as well. Send me a PM if you want my friend code

Me too!

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2019, 08:02:55 am »

0824 0216 1645

Anyone feel free to add me.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2019, 03:54:39 pm »
+1

I picked up this game exactly 13 months ago, and I've been playing it hardcore ever since, even though the person who introduced me has since died off.  I have 40,000,000 xp (more than twice level 40) and I love the game so much.  I've never played any pokemon games prior to this, so every new release in go is brand new to me and I love it.  Even the colors of the shinies are new and fun for me.

Anyone who's going to GoFest in Chicago on Friday and might want to swap regionals Friend me up! I have Azelf and I want Uxie and Mespirit.  I also have Corsola and tauros, and I want luckies of Zangoose, Chatot, Carnivine, Relicanth, Tropius, and Torkoal.  I have them all in my dex already.

8474 4881 4600  Trainer name chappy72727

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2019, 05:13:34 pm »

I picked up this game exactly 13 months ago, and I've been playing it hardcore ever since, even though the person who introduced me has since died off.  I have 40,000,000 xp (more than twice level 40) and I love the game so much.  I've never played any pokemon games prior to this, so every new release in go is brand new to me and I love it.  Even the colors of the shinies are new and fun for me.

Anyone who's going to GoFest in Chicago on Friday and might want to swap regionals Friend me up! I have Azelf and I want Uxie and Mespirit.  I also have Corsola and tauros, and I want luckies of Zangoose, Chatot, Carnivine, Relicanth, Tropius, and Torkoal.  I have them all in my dex already.

Nice. I have been playing since it came out and only just got level 39. Slow and steady.  Mostly just walking my dog (now dogs) with very little raiding where you can really grind up the xp

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2019, 09:11:07 pm »

Nice. I have been playing since it came out and only just got level 39. Slow and steady.  Mostly just walking my dog (now dogs) with very little raiding where you can really grind up the xp

Yeah I've played to much haha.  I also add lots of friends.  Reaching BF status is huuuge xp

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 07, 2020, 01:40:39 am »

Who on here is trainer name lifeshonanstyle? I can't remember.  Anyway, we are lucky friends now LOL.  Does us no good since we have to be near each other to trade.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 07, 2020, 05:32:19 am »

Who on here is trainer name lifeshonanstyle? I can't remember.  Anyway, we are lucky friends now LOL.  Does us no good since we have to be near each other to trade.

That's me.  I saw that.  I have a number of lucky friends I don't know IRL who live in other countries.  Funny though.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2020, 07:44:38 pm »

That's me.  I saw that.  I have a number of lucky friends I don't know IRL who live in other countries.  Funny though.

Yeah it's lame that we can't trade over distance when we're lucky friends.  And I'm not a spoofer either so I can't "fly" to you.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2020, 07:59:49 pm »

Hi all, if we are friends, please feel free to invite me to Mesprit and Azelf raids, if you live in those regions.  I am in Uxie land.  I need the other two!

Thanks.

0824 0216 1645

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2020, 02:52:53 pm »

Hi all, if we are friends, please feel free to invite me to Mesprit and Azelf raids, if you live in those regions.  I am in Uxie land.  I need the other two!

Thanks.

0824 0216 1645

I can invite for Azelf.  what time zone are you in? I want to figure out when it would be best for me to invite you

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2020, 04:48:03 am »

Thanks.

0824 0216 1645

I can invite for Azelf.  what time zone are you in? I want to figure out when it would be best for me to invite you

I'm in UTC+9.

I was able to get both but thank you for the offer and I'll accept if you have time to invite.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2020, 11:26:49 pm »

Thanks.

0824 0216 1645

I'm in UTC+9.

I was able to get both but thank you for the offer and I'll accept if you have time to invite.
Sorry I don't check here much these days.  Glad you got both, I'll invite you still if I raid while I think you'd be awake
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 20 queries.