Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: pokemon go  (Read 76635 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
pokemon go
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »
+6

it's the real deal. went to a park near my house and there were like 15 people standing around with their phones & there were 3 pokestops rigged with the lure thing.

are we optimistic? at the moment it seems like the in-game purchases are zuper optional and it is p fun. however, there are very many problems with the software, ethos, etc. also what's the best pokemon you have? i have a cp300 jynx but i also got a seel and a kadabra somewhere which was gneet
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: pokemon go
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 05:56:26 pm »

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:09 am »

I realyy do wanna play, but can't find it for Russia :(
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 10:21:08 am »

It's been fun playing it with friends. The actual game isn't very good.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:51 am »
+4

Seems like a great way to meet strangers, either dead or alive.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 11:56:04 am »

Not officially out in Canada, and I'm not quite desperate enough to risk downloading an apk from random places.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »

Not officially out in Canada, and I'm not quite desperate enough to risk downloading an apk from random places.

I would have never guessed it isn't officially out in Canada, considering all my friends here are in the craze.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
+1

I would have never guessed it isn't officially out in Canada, considering all my friends here are in the craze.

Yeah a bunch of mine are too.  There are workarounds.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 04:32:34 pm »
+2

http://www.cnet.com/news/woman-playing-pokemon-go-finds-dead-body/

This is all I know about Pokemon Go.

"Wiggins told KCWY, "I was really scared." She did, though, add that she would go back to the river to find her water Pokemon."

Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:30 pm »
+3

Not mine.  Still don't have it.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 05:46:01 pm »

This game is legit. Takes all the bullshit out of pokemon. You collect cute monsters and go outside and talk to real humans. It's amazing. The amount of new people I've talked to and social interaction this game has caused me is so great.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »
+1

This game is legit. Takes all the bullshit out of pokemon. You collect cute monsters and go outside and talk to real humans. It's amazing. The amount of new people I've talked to and social interaction this game has caused me is so great.

Like there was ever any bullshit in pokemon to begin with... The closest thing to bullshit is that the first generation pokemon just suck and should be buffed.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 06:30:00 pm »
+2

Like there was ever any bullshit in pokemon to begin with... The closest thing to bullshit is that the first generation pokemon just suck and should be buffed.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Individual_values

These are a needless complication of the game that create a stupid skill gap between moderately invested players and nolifers.

I could go on, but I've had so many debates on this that I'm not that interested... #StealthRocksucks
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:31:45 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:35:35 pm »

These are a needless complication of the game that create a stupid skill gap between moderately invested players and nolifers.

I could go on, but I've had so many debates on this that I'm not that interested... #StealthRocksucks

Just shoddy battle and choose your own EVs and IVs. Or is Shoddy Battle not a thing anymore? It always seemed basically like it should be illegal to me...

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:15 pm »

Anyway I like the CP system in Pokemon Go. Not all Pokemon are created equal but it's clearly displayed and you don't have to kill 150 ratatas to get max speed.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 06:37:28 pm »
+1

Just shoddy battle and choose your own EVs and IVs. Or is Shoddy Battle not a thing anymore? It always seemed basically like it should be illegal to me...

I'm not saying this is a bad option, but it's also not an option officially sanctioned by Nintendo, and only a subsection of Pokemon fans play on there. That's why it's nice to see Pokemon Go simplify the game for the wider audience. The complexity of competitive Pokemon is hugely alienating for new players who aren't big on math, etc.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 06:43:03 pm »

I'm cool with EVs. IVs are not a great idea. I wish they didn't have those. But EVs are completely fine.

And Stealth Rocks are fine. Just stop using your team of six Beedrills and you should be okay.  ;D

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »
+3

I'm cool with EVs. IVs are not a great idea. I wish they didn't have those. But EVs are completely fine.

And Stealth Rocks are fine. Just stop using your team of six Beedrills and you should be okay.  ;D

I'm not opposed to the idea of EVs philosophically, but I dislike how obtuse the mechanic is and how poorly the games have explained them. Even in X and Y, where they are represented in graphs, you still have to look up what's going on to understand the system. Then there's the issue where if you want to modify your Pokemon's EV spread, you'll have to spend endless amounts of time either training a new copy (and praying for good IVs) or grinding for berries that do this (which the game also doesn't explain how to do in full). The games could have easily been made simpler by having a Showdown-style slider for EV allocation, a choice of stat gains at each level ala most RPGs with a similar system, or by using smaller numbers. 255 as a maximum is a holdback from the games being on older handhelds (as well as the 4=1 point at level 100 thing) that could be modified now that the technology is more flexible.

You are underestimating the impact Stealth Rock has on the game, but I expect this out of Pokemon fans. It's completely absurd that a single, super versatile attack with so little risk makes a large percentage of Pokemon next to worthless. There are plenty of changes the developers could have made by now to fix it, too, but they haven't bothered.

Darn it, I said I wasn't going down this rabbit hole.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 07:21:11 pm »

Yeah, screw you stealth rocks!

And water dance

and whatever that dragon is that didn't make the uber tier.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 07:37:38 pm »
+1

You are underestimating the impact Stealth Rock has on the game, but I expect this out of Pokemon fans. It's completely absurd that a single, super versatile attack with so little risk makes a large percentage of Pokemon next to worthless. There are plenty of changes the developers could have made by now to fix it, too, but they haven't bothered.

As I understand it, Stealth Rock is really only that powerful in singles 6v6.  In more common official competitive formats, Stealth Rock is much less useful.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 09:01:51 pm »

As I understand it, Stealth Rock is really only that powerful in singles 6v6.  In more common official competitive formats, Stealth Rock is much less useful.

Which is unfortunate, because I (and I think most people) think 6v6 would otherwise be a much, much more interesting game.  If they would just fix Stealth Rock, they could consider 6v6 the standard format (or at least a standard format), since that's what people like anyway, and then it wouldn't be broken.  But they insist on 3v3 being the one true way to play, and they're going so all-in on 3v3 that they're willing to make an attack that breaks 6v6.

(Disclaimer: I have no experience with 6th gen competitive Pokemon.)

Anyway, it sounds like jsh has the same issues with competitive Pokemon that I have.  Grinding is no fun, Stealth Rock breaks everything, it's impossible to get new players into it because there's so many stats and type match-ups and things to memorize, and who can learn what moves and stuff.  At its core it's a pretty cool game: you make decisions simultaneously, you're always trying to out-guess your opponent, it's like a turn-based fighting game.  But it's so complicated and I think it's just not designed for competitive play.  It probably wouldn't be hard to make a Pokemon-like game that is much more interesting for competitive play, but then you'd have to get people to start playing it before anyone cared about it.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »
+1

How much of an impact do IVs have? I agree that, while it's a cute idea for single player (all pokemons are unique!), it's completely idiotic for a competitive format.

That's what I liked about Pokemon Stadium. At least we are all on an equal footing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 09:52:24 pm »

Stealth Rock breaks everything

Oh, come on. It's not that bad. Were you around for the Gen 5 Weather Wars? Now THAT was complete and utter bullshit.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 09:56:03 pm »
+1

Anyway, it sounds like jsh has the same issues with competitive Pokemon that I have.  Grinding is no fun, Stealth Rock breaks everything, it's impossible to get new players into it because there's so many stats and type match-ups and things to memorize, and who can learn what moves and stuff.  At its core it's a pretty cool game: you make decisions simultaneously, you're always trying to out-guess your opponent, it's like a turn-based fighting game.  But it's so complicated and I think it's just not designed for competitive play.  It probably wouldn't be hard to make a Pokemon-like game that is much more interesting for competitive play, but then you'd have to get people to start playing it before anyone cared about it.

FWIW, Sun/Moon's battle UI includes a bit that tells you the type effectiveness of your moves.  IIRC, you need to do something to trigger it, but I'm not sure what... test a move out once on the opposing Pokemon?  Catch the Pokemon so you can confirm its typing?  Something like that.  When this was revealed, a portion of the fanbase freaked out about how GameFreak was continuing to dumb down the game.  Of course, this is certainly intended to make it easier for young kids and those who don't have the time or memory to know all the type matchups, and most fans recognized it and embraced it.

Likewise for the ExpAll item in XY.  It makes it a lot easier to level up the entire team, making grinding much less of a chore.  A few users complained that it made the game too easy; most realized you could just turn it off and it was a valuable tool for raising up new teams.  In fact, a lot of stuff introduced in XY simplified things for competitive play.  Destiny Knot and various changes to breeding mechanics made it so much simpler to breed "perfect" Pokemon; XY was the game where I actually got into all that.  Not that I competed in PvP; I just wanted great Pokemon to face off in the Battle Maison.

How much of an impact do IVs have? I agree that, while it's a cute idea for single player (all pokemons are unique!), it's completely idiotic for a competitive format.

That's what I liked about Pokemon Stadium. At least we are all on an equal footing.

Stat calculator here.  Weirdly, it says "DVs" instead of "IVs" but they're all set at 31 by default so I know that's what they meant.  Hopefully the rest of the programming is alright. ;)

(Edit: they were known as "determinant values" in gens I and II, apparently.)

For a level 100 Mew (stats of 100 across the board) with a Docile nature (no + or - to any stats), max IVs gives 341 HP and 236 for everything else.  0 IVs gives 310 HP and 205 for everything else.  So it looks like each IV is exactly 1 more point for the stat at level 100.

At level 50, max IVs gives 175 HP and 120, and 0 IVs gives 160 HP and 105.  So in that case, each IV is only worth half a stat point.  I believe official matches are typically capped at level 50.

With positive natures, the differences are multiplied by 1.1, so IVs can make a maximum of 34 points difference in a stat at level 100 or 17 points at level 50.  This can be further multiplied by various items or other boosting effects.

I'm not an expert but this doesn't sound like that big a deal usually.  Sometimes it can mean the difference between fainting and a clutch survival, but it seems like small potatoes to me.  The one big exception to this is Speed.  Whoever is faster goes first, so even a single point of increase can make the difference.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:08:57 pm by eHalcyon »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 10:16:45 pm »

Fainting vs clutch survival is actually very significant, since clutch survival guarantees your counterattack goes off that turn, and OHKOs let you keep your Pokemon healthy.

You can play Pokemon competitively, but there are competitive games that are a lot more fun to play.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.