Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Making Fun now offering subscriptions  (Read 8921 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Making Fun now offering subscriptions
« on: July 07, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »
+7

Making Fun is now offering subscriptions through the end of the year: http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?10947-Release-Notes-v-2-1-6

What plans are available?
The normal subscription is a one-time purchase that lasts through the end of 2016. However, we also give the option to subscribe for 30 days at a time, for those who want to try it out. The normal 2016 subscription is cheaper than repeatedly extending by 30 days.
What if I already own everything?
Then continue to play as usual. Subscribing is simply an alternative to purchasing.
What if I own some things?
You can continue to use what you own. However, if you choose to subscribe, you will be subscribing to everything you don't already own. The subscription price you see when signed into your account is discounted based on what you already own.
I don't own anything. Can I still play the base set for free?
Yes.
Is the 2016 subscription a constant price?
No, it's an ever decreasing price. It is based not only on what you own (if anything), but on how many hours remain until the end of the year.
I have existing/leftover Ducats. Can I use them to subscribe?
Of course. This is why subscriptions are priced in Ducats.
Why the change?
Two reasons. 1. We've always wanted subscriptions on mobile in order to have a more competitive price-point there, but up until now we haven't been allowed to. 2. We're now halfway through 2016, so current purchases will last only a half-year on our service plus one year on the new service (unless you choose the "own forever for offline play" option.) We were told we could not lower our prices, but this is an alternative where we now have approval to charge less.
Why is a 30 day subscription still available for purchase after I've bought it?
Each time you subscribe, your subscription will be extended for 30 days. The option will only go away when extending by 30 days would go past the end of the year.
How do I see when my subscription expires?
It will say this on the main store screen.
Can I auto-renew on the 30-day subscription?
No, if you are considering a longer subscription, we recommend the 2016 subscription instead.
Do I have to subscribe just to get the Summon card?
Not at the moment: we still sell cards, although buried somewhat, for exactly these kinds of situations. However, we do plan to remove card purchasing altogether several months before the end of the year, once everyone so inclined has availed themselves of this option.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Making Fun now offering subscriptions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »
+8

I'm glad this is happening, as it's the ideal solution to MF losing the license at the end of the year. Thanks to Donald X / RGG for renegotiating so that this could happen, and to MF for implementing it!

It can't happen because of the contracts already negotiated, but my ideal would be: starting now, Making Fun has to inform everyone directly that they're purchasing the sets only through December 31 (not in terms of service, but right up front), Stef/SCSN have no obligation to provide anything past that to someone who purchases from here on out, and Making Fun is allowed to charge a lower price for sets (since they're not promising any obligation by their successor).

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »

Making Fun makes more money doing this anyways. Nobody is going to buy something that costs that much when they know it's going to stop at the end of the year. And if they don't know, there will be public uproar and MF gets shafted in the long run. This had to be the solution.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:41:53 pm »

How much is the subscription?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 06:47:45 pm »
+2

We said $4/month.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 06:52:10 pm »

We said $4/month.

This is presumably the price per month to subscribe to everything (besides the included Base set). Making Fun has said the subscription price is discounted based on what you already own.

What if I own some things?
You can continue to use what you own. However, if you choose to subscribe, you will be subscribing to everything you don't already own. The subscription price you see when signed into your account is discounted based on what you already own.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:54:31 pm »
+2

The price is only $3/month for ShuffleIt. Clever negotiating. People will be more than happy to switch from $4 to $3.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:56:49 pm »

In the image on reddit it's currently $25 through Dec 31., or $8/month. https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/4rqk5l/making_fun_now_offering_subscriptions_through_the/

Edit: I see, the price varies with how much you already have.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:28:39 pm by Donald X. »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 03:53:57 am »

I still have my 13 Ducats but apparently that's not enough to get Summon for the end of the year.
(I actually think it is just another bug)

Also, full subscription costs 88 Ducats, but you can buy either 80 or 160 at once. SO low. MF at their best, in other words.

Still good news for somebody who wants to play with expansions and doesn't have them yet.

EDIT: never mind me, you can get 15 too. Sorry MF for these unfair words (you are still awful).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:58:53 am by Burning Skull »

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:42 am »

I still have my 13 Ducats but apparently that's not enough to get Summon for the end of the year.
(I actually think it is just another bug)

Individual cards cost the same. The subscription is for "everything you don't have". If Summon was everything you didn't have I would expect a lower price, but I don't think that's the case from your next paragraph.

Also, full subscription costs 88 Ducats, but you can buy either 80 or 160 at once. SO low. MF at their best, in other words.

The subscription cost goes down hour by hour. If you just wait it will become 80 (or 80−13). If it was a convenient sum now it wouldn't be a convenient sum then.[/quote]

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 05:27:46 pm »
+5

Interesting prices displayed for me!

(This is only as it is displayed though, and not the actual prices.)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »

Lots of pissed off people in MFs forums. People are just realizing the purchases they made before don't actually last forever. When 2016 comes, I think there's going to be a shit storm. I still believe lots of customers don't know what's going on.

For the record, I think MF offering subscriptions is the right thing to do.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 06:25:05 pm by Beyond Awesome »

DavidMakingFun

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:33 pm »
+3

Lots of pissed off people in MFs forums. People are just realizing the purchases they made before don't actually last forever. When 2016 comes, I think there's going to be a shit storm. I still believe lots of customers don't know what's going on.

One person with a question, one person who was angry and didn't understand that we aren't involved past 2016, and one person from here who's been a detractor for some time now. Not sure how that's lots of people?

I'm glad we're doing it, too. It's something we've wanted for a while.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 07:46:20 pm »

I should also note that Donald/RGG asked Making Fun to be much more transparent about what people were purchasing than what they had been doing (kudos!), which helped lead to the new Making Fun subscription system: https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/4rev2w/question_on_online_purchases/d50kv8v

We asked them to be way more clear about what people are actually buying, and they asked if they could sell subscriptions-by-month for the rest of the year, and we said yes, and that was two weeks ago. So I have been expecting them to switch, but it sounds like so far they aren't even being more clear.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 08:16:17 pm »

One person with a question, one person who was angry and didn't understand that we aren't involved past 2016, and one person from here who's been a detractor for some time now. Not sure how that's lots of people?
well, all 5 of the users can't always show up. hi-ohh!
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 09:54:03 pm »
+1

There's a belief in marketing that for every 1 customer that complains, there are X amount that are equally angry. I don't remember the exact representation though.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »
+1

There's a belief in marketing that for every 1 customer that complains, there are X amount that are equally angry. I don't remember the exact representation though.

Sure, but there is exactly 1 person complaining about this? Look your position is actually indefensible from the evidence.

There are certainly pissed off people, but I imagine the majority of that happened when SCSN/Stef announced a subscription model.

We don't know how many customers aren't aware of what is happening because people who aren't aware aren't the kind of people following Dominion news.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 10:19:37 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 04:09:51 am »

Is there any reason to buy cards anymore? The subscription model seems so much more affordable, but I feel like I must be overlooking something...

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:02:58 am »
+1

Is there any reason to buy cards anymore? The subscription model seems so much more affordable, but I feel like I must be overlooking something...

If you have just a few cards left to buy (promos, one expansion) it's not much more expensive than the subscription model, and it will get you a year of subscription later. Buying the subscription model now only gets you the game until the end of 2016, and then a partial / discounted subscription in 2017. Hard to know the exact cost / benefit though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 02:34:27 pm »

Even if that's true, all those other angry people aren't in the forums so the initial statement is still false. ;)

harrybourre

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 05:45:33 am »

Buying the subscription model now only gets you the game until the end of 2016, and then a partial / discounted subscription in 2017. Hard to know the exact cost / benefit though.

Is it confirmed that buying a subsription now will get us anything for the new 2017 version?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 06:25:45 am »
+1

The subscription service finally convinced me to pay up.

Glad I waited and didn't dump $90 for half a year.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 06:28:11 am »
+4

Buying the subscription model now only gets you the game until the end of 2016, and then a partial / discounted subscription in 2017. Hard to know the exact cost / benefit though.

Is it confirmed that buying a subsription now will get us anything for the new 2017 version?

No, you won't get anything from the MF subscriptions from us. I think what he means is that when you already own a number of sets and now buy a subscription for the rest of the sets, you still get something for those sets you already owned.

harrybourre

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2016, 07:28:40 am »
+1

No, you won't get anything from the MF subscriptions from us. I think what he means is that when you already own a number of sets and now buy a subscription for the rest of the sets, you still get something for those sets you already owned.

Oh ok that's what I thought, and that's what makes most sense.
Anyway, like Davio said, I'm glad I didn't buy an extension a few weeks ago (and I'm sure glad I read (by chance) that MF lost the license and you guys were taking over just as I was about to buy Seaside).

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 02:54:47 pm »

I don't get it. The only thing I don't have are 4 promo cards, totaling $60 if I buy them normally. Subscription through 2016 is offered to me for $91. How can it be higher? For 30 days it's $21.

Is this a bug, or am I not getting how this is supposed to work?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.