Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watch my opponent and I make so many mistakes...  (Read 2452 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Watch my opponent and I make so many mistakes...
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:40:15 pm »
+3

Code: [Select]
Mission, Seaway, Black Market, Gear, Duplicate, Feodum, Herald, Noble Brigand, Spy, Duke, Tactician, Venture
https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160630/log.0.1467304725506.txt

----

So the obvious thing here is Tactician-Black Market.  I of course completely miss this, thinking hey, Gear and Herald look pretty good, and we can sprinkle in some Black Markets!  Then instead of buying Heralds, I buy... other stuff for some reason.

Meanwhile, my opponent has gone Tactician-Black Market; they asked in chat if I had missed it or decided against!  Then they get Mountebank and Haunted Woods out of the Black Market deck, which was almost doom... but Herald is the only village and the only good Seaway buy.  So they end up hitting Tactician with Herald several times.

Obviously I made more mistakes than my opponent, though I wonder how much of my deficit was the Mountebank.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +437
    • View Profile
Re: Watch my opponent and I make so many mistakes...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
+1

This is a great example of black market making people do really silly things and making the game last 10 turns longer than it should.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »

You said it yourself when you said you didn't go for Tac/Black Market. That's pretty much the only viable strategy here, period. Pretty odd board.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »
+1

Herald and Tac have such bad synergy that I would honestly consider skipping Tac just to avoid it, depending entirely on if I could get a Trasher out of the BM deck or not.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 02:48:52 pm »

I agree that this board highly depends on what is in the Black Market. Another option is to go for Duplicate/Duchy/Duke, but I don't know how strong that really is. I'm going to say not very.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 03:10:14 pm »
+3

Is it viable to go full duplicate/silver and then empty the duchy pile in a single buy and then do the same for duke?  If you overpay for duplicate on a $5 hand you need to use said duplicate twice for it to make up for itself. Once for duchies I guess and then again for duke.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:09 pm »

Is it viable to go full duplicate/silver and then empty the duchy pile in a single buy and then do the same for duke?  If you overpay for duplicate on a $5 hand you need to use said duplicate twice for it to make up for itself. Once for duchies I guess and then again for duke.

I think you are right, and that holding on to the Duplicate until later might be more sound. The problem is that Duchy is getting ignored for Duplicate. I think there's a magic number for how many Duplicates you tend to want in such a board. Who knew that the mechanics of Duplicate are so tricky?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 04:00:24 pm »
+2

Hint: early on you'll occasionally but not always want to use Duplicate on a Duplicate buy.

I legitimately think the seven Duplicates strategy beats the non-mirror here, but if your opponent starts buying Duchy you have to basically immediately cut that shit out and work with what you've got.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
+3

Mission could help the Duplicate-Duke strategy.  Use Mission turns to get your Duplicates in the Tavern faster.  If you have 5+ coins on your Mission turn, you can use Seaway to gain another Duplicate.

The Do-Operator

• Scout
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:55 am »
+1

I was your opponent in this game. Thank you so much to everyone for commenting. I obviously made a lot of mistakes here:

(1) As has been correctly pointed out, the Herald/Tactician interaction is awful. The reason I went for Herald was that there was only one village in the Black Market (Wandering Minstrel), and also no other good targets for Seaway, and no buys other than a Baron in the Black Market. I made a guesstimate that this particular interaction would occur once in the game, and that one lost turn would be worth it in order to get action-splitting and buys. In retrospect this was probably a mistake. My guesstimate was probably wrong, at least with the number of Heralds I was getting. Has anyone tried to calculate how many herald-induced plays of tactician one can expect in a deck with two tacticians (one of which will tend to be out at the beginning of the turn)?

(2) As has also been correctly pointed out, I made some weak and unnecessary black market buys, including courtyard and haunted woods.  I have no excuse for this, this was just an embarrassing misplay

(3) The mistake that felt most pertinent in real time was that I failed to make good use of mission.  Several times I failed to play tactician, and I think in some cases I could have recovered by playing tactician in a Mission turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.