Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Big Money (treasure trove) vs Peasant + Lost City + Possession  (Read 4245 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
+1

Man, This was an interesting game.

[/center]
Code: [Select]
Peasant, Oracle, Bishop, Miser, Duke, Junk Dealer, Lost City, Relic, Treasure Trove, Possession, Ball, Trade
Pretty Log for Pretty People

Still unsure how you get these nice and fancy looking kingdoms in your post.

Opponent went for big money treasure trove, I tried the engine. It felt like a los tcause, but I guess his big money stalled.

Thank god for Bishop VP, otherwise this would have been a lost cause. Very fun game, though. Was at the edge of my seat.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:10:10 am by AdrianHealey »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Re: Big Money (treasure trove) vs Peasant + Lost City + Possession
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:41:21 am »
+2

Man, This was an interesting game.

Peasant, Oracle, Bishop, Miser, Duke, Junk Dealer, Lost City, Relic, Treasure Trove, Possession, Ball, Trade
Pretty Log for Pretty People

Still unsure how you get these nice and fancy looking kingdoms in your post.

http://gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize will do this for you.

Ball, Trade, Peasant, Oracle, Bishop, Miser, Duke, Junk Dealer, Lost City, Relic, Treasure Trove, Possession
My favorite thing about Peasant is that it almost always makes an engine of some sort possible. You can put tokens on things, it gives you gains, +Buy, and an attack payload right there in the upgrade path. Meanwhile Page is so much more blah. I love games where the Peasant engine sneaks out a win like this.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:43:52 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:17 am »

I've never played with TT or Peasant line, so take my opinion with a little bit of salt.

I think I agree with you - you want to go for an engine here. It's how you do it that I consider wrong - opening Bishop can't be good here (it rarely is). Yes, it trashes and gives you VPs, but at the same time it also speeds up your opponent's deck completely for free (and he is unlucky that your Bishop never connected with his Estate-hand).

Your goal as and engine player vs BM player is pretty simple - trash as fast as you can, establish Lost City - Oracle engine and then smash your opponent with everything you've got: Possession (or multiple Possessions), Bishop VPs (this phase: mid- to end-game is the right time to play Bishops), attacks etc. He may establish a significant Province lead, but if you do all of the above - you'll be able to catch up quickly while his deck will stall. Add Bishop VPs in the mix and you should win comfortably.

In light of that approach - I'd open something like Oracle/Silver to get to $5 and Junk Dealer as soon as possible, start trashing while simultaneously grabbing Lost Cities. On your low-value hand get a Peasant for the +buy. Once you think you'll be thin soon enough, buy Potion and get Possession. Etc. Get Bishop later in the game - but certainly do not open with it.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:26 am »
+1

Is the engine really not viable here if you replace Peasant with Herbalist? That is, you lose the Peasant line but still have effectively Peasant.

I think it is, you can do work with Lost City-Oracle, play a few Possessions. There's Bishop and Duke to catch up on points. You can even use Treasure Trove yourself to get Bishop fuel late game. There's Relic you can use as well on your way to setting up Possessions (irrelevant once you get that all going). Not sure you need the traveller line here, although it is certainly good.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:31 am »

I've never played with TT or Peasant line, so take my opinion with a little bit of salt.

I think I agree with you - you want to go for an engine here. It's how you do it that I consider wrong - opening Bishop can't be good here (it rarely is). Yes, it trashes and gives you VPs, but at the same time it also speeds up your opponent's deck completely for free (and he is unlucky that your Bishop never connected with his Estate-hand).

Your goal as and engine player vs BM player is pretty simple - trash as fast as you can, establish Lost City - Oracle engine and then smash your opponent with everything you've got: Possession (or multiple Possessions), Bishop VPs (this phase: mid- to end-game is the right time to play Bishops), attacks etc. He may establish a significant Province lead, but if you do all of the above - you'll be able to catch up quickly while his deck will stall. Add Bishop VPs in the mix and you should win comfortably.

In light of that approach - I'd open something like Oracle/Silver to get to $5 and Junk Dealer as soon as possible, start trashing while simultaneously grabbing Lost Cities. On your low-value hand get a Peasant for the +buy. Once you think you'll be thin soon enough, buy Potion and get Possession. Etc. Get Bishop later in the game - but certainly do not open with it.

Interesting advice. I always discount the benefit for my opponent when I play bishop.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:47 am »

Why is this even a debate? Clear engine here. Junk Dealer/Peasant on 5/2, otherwise Miser peasant. Aim for Possession for extra gains a bit later.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:29 am »

None of us took miser, but maybe I should have done miser instead of bisshop.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:47:57 am »

My opponent went for pure treasure trove, and I am not entirely convinced that was such a bad move. It was pretty close in the end.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:50:37 am »

Why is this even a debate? Clear engine here. Junk Dealer/Peasant on 5/2, otherwise Miser peasant. Aim for Possession for extra gains a bit later.

I think Miser / Peasant is probably the slowest possible opening here. You'll have a lot of trouble getting $5 for Junk Dealers and Lost Cities this way, and it gives a TT / Oracle opponent too much time to set up. Miser is tempting but the lack of early economy really bites.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:02 pm »

Bishop allows the opponent to thin down as well, so it is a bad opening move almost all of the time.

Miser might not be the best thing, but the best course of action is to get thin ASAP. Peasant grants economy with Soldier after the first shuffle, and it's not that hard to spike a $5. Silver Peasant might be better than Miser, who knows.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:27 pm »
+1

This is tricky board due to possesion. This should be engine mirror and probably one who first messes opponent by moving +action token to junk dealer wins.

Without possesion getting oracle engine instead is faster as you could pick two of them with ball and some lost cities until you could get to teacher. Here without possession I would open miser/pawn and go for miser megaturns. Hitting 5 early with miser isn't that important as miser thins for you and you could pick oracles.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:08:53 pm »
+4

Against bm I would probably ignore possession. It takes two turns to get and will olny get me a good card half of the time.
I would Open peasant jd/ silver
Get two jd
Get Lost cities till your drawing most of your deck
Get a few more peasents(be careful to keep one as +buy before you have a big turn
Pick up oracles

When you get teacher put your card token on lost city and action token on the card you have most of after lost city. If you need +buy put that token on a card you have a few before putting your action token down.
Your payload should look like this: Bishop *x jd*x and treasure trove *x
Trash the gained stuff from treasure trove for points. Don't dive for green until you are quite ahead on points. In a mirror focus on playing possession a lot.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »

When you get teacher put your card token on lost city and action token on the card you have most of after lost city. If you need +buy put that token on a card you have a few before putting your action token down.
Your payload should look like this: Bishop *x jd*x and treasure trove *x
Trash the gained stuff from treasure trove for points. Don't dive for green until you are quite ahead on points. In a mirror focus on playing possession a lot.

This works with MF's implementation of Possession, but with the errata'd Possession version, I'd be hesitant to build a Bishop-centered deck.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:09:08 pm »

Limetime is a god.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:18 pm »
+2

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:44 am »
+1

I only read the first two turns. Bishop is a huge no-no, especially with JD on the board which is a power house trasher. You might want Bishop at some point, but not until later. Peasant/Silver into 2 JDs sounds good, get some Lost Cities and then Oracles, put +Action on Oracle, +Buy on Lost City (hopefully you're drawing deck. Get Relic, and maybe squeeze a Trove. In an ideal world, I would get two Bishops and trash both the copper and gold every turn from the Trove until you have a significant point lead.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.