Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominate and Possession  (Read 5107 times)

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
Dominate and Possession
« on: June 28, 2016, 09:36:24 pm »
+5

I think I have this correctly, but I want to make sure.

I Possess you, and make you buy Dominate. I just spent $14 on a Province, because since you don't gain the Province, you don't get +9 VP. (And neither do I.)

Ritual, Triumph and Wild Hunt should work the same way. They will never give you VP on a turn that you Possess someone.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Dominate and Possession
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:54:51 pm »
+7

I Possess you, and make you buy Dominate. I just spent $14 on a Province, because since you don't gain the Province, you don't get +9 VP. (And neither do I.)

Ritual, Triumph and Wild Hunt should work the same way. They will never give you VP on a turn that you Possess someone.
Yes, the "if you do/did" fails.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:08:20 am »

Is this one of the reasons it has "if you did" in the wording? Or did you just not want the ability to buy a Dominate after buying the last Province?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:23 am »

Is this one of the reasons it has "if you did" in the wording? Or did you just not want the ability to buy a Dominate after buying the last Province?

The interaction with Trader seems more important to deal with.  With Dominate, Trader, and a way to remove Silver from your deck, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a deck that buys Dominates infinitely (once the Silvers run out, you gain +9 VP and no card by buying Dominate and revealing Trader).

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:59 pm »
+1

The interaction with Trader seems more important to deal with.  With Dominate, Trader, and a way to remove Silver from your deck, it wouldn't be too difficult to construct a deck that buys Dominates infinitely (once the Silvers run out, you gain +9 VP and no card by buying Dominate and revealing Trader).

Okay, so that person is getting 9VP per turn, while the person who built the same engine and isn't doing that is getting 15VP per turn. Right?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:16 pm »
+3

Multiple cards say "if you did" in order to make sure you can't endlessly make VP with them (except with rarer combos). With Dominate I just automatically matched the other cards. I never sat down and thought "can I cut those words here since emptying the Provinces ends the game, or what."

Trader aside, I do like that buying Provinces eats up Dominates, one to one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 01:36:08 pm »

Man, now I want to build an engine that buys Dominate and returns a Province to the supply with Ambassador every turn, for endless Dominates.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:11 pm »

Man, now I want to build an engine that buys Dominate and returns a Province to the supply with Ambassador every turn, for endless Dominates.
But then the provinces would go to the other player, so you still wouldn't get endless dominates.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:51:34 pm »

But then the provinces would go to the other player, so you still wouldn't get endless dominates.

That's why you also use Possession to force him to play Lighthouse every turn, duh.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:29:27 pm »
+1

That's why you also use Possession to force him to play Lighthouse every turn, duh.

Then they take their regular turn, have an extra $1, then discard their Lighthouse before your turn.

Actual solution: you play Lighthouse every turn. You Ambassador them the Province, then Possess them to Ambassador from them back to the Supply.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:35 pm »

Then they take their regular turn, have an extra $1, then discard their Lighthouse before your turn.

Actual solution: you play Lighthouse every turn. You Ambassador them the Province, then Possess them to Ambassador from them back to the Supply.
We have thought way too much about this.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:56 pm »
+2

Doom Shark, meet F.DS.   F.DS; Doom Shark.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 11:56:30 pm »
+2

Just make it a Champion game and be done with it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 11:25:11 am »

Just make it a Champion game and be done with it.

A Champion game in which your opponent avoids Page because he knows what you are planning, so you have to use Ambassador to give him a Page, then Possess him repeatedly to make him exchange all the way up to Champion and play Champion.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.