Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Debt  (Read 2261 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Debt
« on: June 24, 2016, 09:47:49 am »

I have 4 debt tokens. I play Wine Merchant. No Treasure is in play, nor in hand. Can I remove my debt tokens?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Debt
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:51:38 am »
+1

I'm confused as to what the rules issue is. During your Buy phase, you can use Coins to pay off debt. You can use your $4 from Wine Merchant to pay off your 4 Debt.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:54:37 am »

You can pay off the debt as soon as you enter the buy phase. If you spend $3 or more  of your $4 to pay of debt, you can't discard Wine Merchant (unless you have $ from another source)

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:51:43 am »

A player removes Debt tokens in the player's Buy phase by paying $1 per Debt token to remove it; this is done after playing Treasures, but can be done both before and after buying cards.
I thought this meant to say I have to play at least 1 Treasure in Buy-phase. Incorrect?

Another question about Debt.
Players cannot just take Debt tokens for no reason.
Wine Merchant is on my Tavern mat. 4 coins are unspent. I buy Engineer. Must I pay $4 immediately? Or can I just pay $2 and discard Wine Merchant, leaving 2 debt tokens?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
+3

A player removes Debt tokens in the player's Buy phase by paying $1 per Debt token to remove it; this is done after playing Treasures, but can be done both before and after buying cards.
I thought this meant to say I have to play at least 1 Treasure in Buy-phase. Incorrect?
It just means you can't play treasures after pying off debt.
Wine Merchant is on my Tavern mat. 4 coins are unspent. I buy Engineer. Must I pay $4 immediately? Or can I just pay $2 and discard Wine Merchant, leaving 2 debt tokens?
You can just pay off $2 and discard the WM

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:05:59 am »
+1

I see what you're saying. But no, even if you don't play any treasures, things still happen "after playing Treasures". Similarly, I might tell someone "after you play all your actions, you move on to your buy phase". They get to move on to their buy phase even if they played no actions at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »
+4

This is not taking Debt "for no reason." The cost of Engineer is "take 4 Debt," and you will do this regardless of how many coins you may have. The game doesn't even want to know how many coins you have, it just wants you to take the Debt. Then you have an opportunity to remove any of your Debt, but technically nothing requires you to ever actually do so. It's just that in most cases you probably want to.

In practice, many people will probably only take tokens for the Debt they can't immediately pay, but it's beneficial to remember what is actually happening.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:03:20 am »

This is not taking Debt "for no reason." The cost of Engineer is "take 4 Debt," and you will do this regardless of how many coins you may have. The game doesn't even want to know how many coins you have, it just wants you to take the Debt. Then you have an opportunity to remove any of your Debt, but technically nothing requires you to ever actually do so. It's just that in most cases you probably want to.

In practice, many people will probably only take tokens for the Debt they can't immediately pay, but it's beneficial to remember what is actually happening.

I see what you're saying. But no, even if you don't play any treasures, things still happen "after playing Treasures". Similarly, I might tell someone "after you play all your actions, you move on to your buy phase". They get to move on to their buy phase even if they played no actions at all.
Thanks for your advice.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.949 seconds with 20 queries.