Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: How to play Lost Arts.  (Read 13789 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: How to play Lost Arts.
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 04:26:29 pm »
+4

Reliability is much better than you first estimate it to be. It becomes even bigger when you start adding VP cards into your deck. I guarantee your 80% reliability begins to choke hard when the engine gets the fifth Province.

Or even, you know, 8 non-drawing payload cards would be enough to choke a deck relying on 2 of 5 cards of every hand being a specific combination...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »
+1

Reliability is much better than you first estimate it to be. It becomes even bigger when you start adding VP cards into your deck. I guarantee your 80% reliability begins to choke hard when the engine gets the fifth Province.

Or even, you know, 8 non-drawing payload cards would be enough to choke a deck relying on 2 of 5 cards of every hand being a specific combination...

Yeah, that's a major reason I'd say that 80% estimate was high, even with trashing.  As for Durations...

Fishing Village provides so much +actions that Lost Arts is going to leave you with extra no matter whether you put it on draw or payload.  In this case, better go with draw for slight increase in reliability.

Duration draw like Wharf and Haunted Woods aren't exactly terminal draw, so they're not really relevant to the question.  Even if we count them as such, bonus tokens are much less useful on durations in draw-your-deck engines since you'd only get the bonus every other turn.

And then Scheme alone is an edge case.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 04:46:28 pm »
+6

Thinking about it, I am actually wrong. There is enough to discuss with Lost Arts.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 02:17:15 am »

Also part about villages with lost arts is completely wrong as opposite is true. With 4 costs you get to lost arts before collision becomes problem, for example with opening smithy/silver you will likely get LA on turns 3/4 and if not you get second smithy and LA on next shuffle. On other hand for 5 draw costs spiking 5 is problem so you probably will have several turns where you don't want another silver so you will buy village.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 04:27:15 am »

bridge [troll]

I think we need a Bridge [Serious].

I think that would be Highway.

Dunduks

• Bishop
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 12:05:23 pm »
+1

Lost Arts on Torturer can be brutal. I had one league game something like silver, silver, Torturer, Torturer, Lost Arts on Torturer, Torturer, Torturer, Torturer and opponent resigned. OK, maybe some luck was involved but YMYOSL :-)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:38 pm »
+1

Lost Arts on Torturer can be brutal. I had one league game something like silver, silver, Torturer, Torturer, Lost Arts on Torturer, Torturer, Torturer, Torturer and opponent resigned. OK, maybe some luck was involved but YMYOSL :-)
Well, Torturer is both draw and payload. No surprise that it's a good Lost Arts target.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:23 pm »
+7

I think the most general-case way to think of this is a kingdom like Village, Smithy, Goons, Lost Arts. For simplicity's sake, say all the piles split 5-5 (and we ignore the end-game condition). Where do you want your Lost Arts?

Option 1: Village
No. Feast or famine. Super villages are just worse than the alternatives.

Option 2: Smithy
This allows you to draw your whole deck easily. Then you play 5 Villages and 5 Goons.

Option 3: Goons
This allows you to freely play your Goons as long as they weren't drawn dead.

Ignoring option 1, both other choices have a best-case scenario of drawing their whole deck and playing 5 goons. The difference really lies in the average-case scenario. The Smithy option relies on having a Smithy in your starting hand. The Goons option relies on having a Village PLUS a Smithy in your starting hand.

This is the point that "Chris is me" keeps making. Putting the +Action on your terminal draw allows you to draw your whole deck, THEN line up your village and payload. Putting the +Action on your payload means you have to line up your village + draw in your initial hand of 5 cards (or 3 in the case of Goons).

Edge case: sure if you win the Goons split 8-2, put the +Action there. But that's an edge case. In the general case of two fairly balanced decks, the terminal draw is the best place to put the token.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:04:58 pm by allanfieldhouse »

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 01:12:42 pm »

Similar holds for witch and mountebank. With LA witch its almost same as cultist. Mountebank is bit luck based as you need to spike 6 reasonably early, then playing multiple mbanks is brutal.

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 07:52:45 am »

Similar holds for witch and mountebank. With LA witch its almost same as cultist. Mountebank is bit luck based as you need to spike 6 reasonably early, then playing multiple mbanks is brutal.

Indeed, LA on Torturer is amazing. Add Ferry on the board and it is just insane! Nice discussion by the way.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 10:07:41 am »

Lost arts on attacks like witch might be good, but could there be a card that is even better for lost arts because of its cost? Moat

So what is the worst lost arts target? Since champion isn't possible, could is be tactician?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 10:13:46 am by DG »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 10:28:05 am »

Tactician is probably the worst. It is probably closely followed by 1-shots.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 10:40:56 am »

Does the Ruins pile count an an Action pile? Can you put the +Action token on it with LA?

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2016, 10:42:18 am »

Does the Ruins pile count an an Action pile? Can you put the +Action token on it with LA?
Yes but why?

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »

Yes but why?

I thought this would be a good idea on some boards but had to get quite edgecasey.

Kingdom: Marauder, Quarry, Talisman, Stash, Royal Seal, Contraband, Bank, Tunnel, Adventurer, Fairgrounds

Your opponent has given you 3 ruined libraries and no other ruins. Still Gold is probably better but it's close at least.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 12:48:18 pm »

WIPED because I feel guilty now. :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:32:47 pm by Haddock »
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2016, 01:08:30 pm »

Did you have a lot of extra coppers because of ambassador and ill gotten gains?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »

Did you have a lot of extra coppers because of ambassador and ill gotten gains?
Yerp. So much copper. And 9 curses. It was a pretty crazy game.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »

Donald X said that one of the Adventures/Dark Ages recommended kingdoms was designed for you to put Lost Arts and Pathfinding on the Ruins pile.

Also, after I typed "one of the", the word my phone suggested was actually "Adventures". I don't know whether to be amazed or worried.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2016, 02:46:37 pm »
+1

This actually seems like a good spot to mention a bit of an unusual LA usage I did in one of my league games against infthitbox this season.

We probably both did tons wrong, but it was an interesting kingdom: who'd have thought LA on Apothecary would ever make sense?

Kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Lost Arts, Inheritance, Vineyard, Apothecary, Ambassador, Oracle, Alchemist, Talisman, Apprentice, Bandit Camp, Ill-Gotten Gains, Lost City

Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160614/log.0.1465943411131.txt

I never want to see this game log again in my life.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2016, 05:32:23 pm »

Ah dude, sorry. :(  It really REALLY wasn't my intention to bug you or annoy you or rub anything in.  Just thought it was an interesting board.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 05:37:30 pm by Haddock »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »
+1

This actually seems like a good spot to mention a bit of an unusual LA usage I did in one of my league games against infthitbox this season.

We probably both did tons wrong, but it was an interesting kingdom: who'd have thought LA on Apothecary would ever make sense?

Kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Lost Arts, Inheritance, Vineyard, Apothecary, Ambassador, Oracle, Alchemist, Talisman, Apprentice, Bandit Camp, Ill-Gotten Gains, Lost City

Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160614/log.0.1465943411131.txt

Ah dude, sorry. :(  It really REALLY wasn't my intention to bug you or annoy you or rub anything in.  Just thought it was an interesting board.

Says he, as he posts yet another post containing that game log.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »
+4

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I followed that YouTube link manually too. Man, you suck. I can't believe I fell for that.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1492
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2016, 07:58:43 pm »
+1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

I followed that YouTube link manually too. Man, you suck. I can't believe I fell for that.

Try following it not manually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 2.289 seconds with 21 queries.