Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cheap filterer with tokens  (Read 2338 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
Cheap filterer with tokens
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:14:02 am »
+4

<Card Name> - $2 - Action
+1 Action
Take a <Card Name> token.
Look at the top card of your deck. Choose one: Put it into your hand; or discard it and spend a <Card Name> token, and if you did, repeat this step.

Basically what it does is keep discarding cards from the top of your deck until you find one that you like. However, you have limited tokens, so you can't do so infinitely (or even for long). I'm not sure how to phrase the bottom part better.

Is it good? Too strong/weak?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap filterer with tokens
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 04:00:58 am »

Seems fine for a 2$. Kind of a fixed Spy.
Do you want the token spending to be mandatory after you chose to discard the card? I don't think that it would be a huge buff if you could choose to not spend the token. It would IMO open some strategic space, particularly in junking-intense games where you might very well want to accumulate at least some tokens for the near future when your deck is full of junk.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:05:59 pm »

"repeat this step" sounds too vague to me. Here's my fix.

Look at the top card of your deck.
Choose one: Take a <Card Name> token, +1 Action and put it in your hand; or discard it and spend a <Card Name> token, and if you did, replay this card.

It plays slightly different the first time you play it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:07:23 pm by Destry »

Destry

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:07 pm »

This version plays the same as your original intent

Choose one: Take a <Card Name> token, +1 Action and put it in your hand; or discard it and a <Card Name> token, and if you did, replay this card.
---
When you gain this card, gain a <Card Name> token.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:02:15 pm »

This version plays the same as your original intent

Choose one: Take a <Card Name> token, +1 Action and put it in your hand; or discard it and a <Card Name> token, and if you did, replay this card.
---

The wording of "if you did" isn't completely clear there. While I'm pretty sure you mean "if you did discard it and a <Card Name token>, replay this card", some people would interpret it (legitimately) as "if you did make the second choice" (even if you couldn't fully do the second choice, because you had no token for example). Note how Treasure Map is explicit with "if you did trash 2 Treasure Maps" instead of just "if you did".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Destry

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 04:15:00 pm »
+1

Good point.

Choose one: Put it in your hand, +1 Action and take a <Card Name> token; or discard it and a <Card Name> token. If you discarded a <Card Name> token, replay this card.
---

I think this would fit in with Last Footnote's Enterprise expansion using Trade Tokens.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »

CardName: Action, $2
Look at the top card of your deck. You may pay a token, to discard that card and play this again. Otherwise, +1 Action, put that card into your hand, and take a token.

It's weaker the first time you play it, but that's the price you pay for clarity. I think overall the card might be too complex, just in terms of remembering what it does. I think arguably dominator 123's original wording is easier to understand, except for the ambiguity of "this step".

I think this would fit in with Last Footnote's Enterprise expansion using Trade Tokens.

Uh, perhaps. I mean I try to keep the value of a Trade token similar across cards, though it doesn't have to be (and can't be) exactly equal. This seems maybe a little weak for what a Trade token is meant to do, but maybe it's fine.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:03 am »

I think overall the card might be too complex, just in terms of remembering what it does.
Actually the concept is simple, it is just difficult to explain simply. Pretty powerful interaction with tunnels, actually. I like it, tbh.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.432 seconds with 20 queries.