Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Monument vs Provinces  (Read 1499 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Monument vs Provinces
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:27 pm »
+4

Code: [Select]
Ferry, Ball, Masquerade, Monument, Spy, Bazaar, Embassy, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mandarin, Storyteller, Trading Post, Hireling
Pretty Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160622/log.0.1466560345212.txt

The basic idea here, is that since Ball and Ferry are the only ways to get two gains a turn, but all of the other components for an engine are present, I should build a Monument stack while my opponent chokes on 7 Provinces unable to finish the game. My plan just barely worked, and I did make a bunch of mistakes throughout. I should have bought Storyteller over Embassy basically every time I bought Embassy, I think. Should have had more Masquerades from the beginning and not later on. I probably didn't need to open Ferry. But other than that, I thought it was kind of a cool novel plan, and a way to make an engine work with zero +Buy.

Thoughts? I think I got lucky.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 12:35:17 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
Re: Monument vs Provinces
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:43:10 pm »
+1

Monument engine looks better than Ferry(Embassy) + money here. Get 2 Masquerades early, lots of Bazaars, then once you're thin and have lots of +Actions, pick up Monuments. When draw becomes an issue, add Storyteller.

With your opponent signalling Embassy, I'd probably open double-Masquerade. In the mirror, I'd probably open Ferry (Bazaar)-Masquerade because the Bazaar split is so important.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 01:43:32 pm »
+5

I'd Open Masquerade/Ferry (on Bazaar).  Then next shuffle Ball into double Bazaar and a 2nd Masquerade or just straight Bazaar/Masquerade.  Win the Bazaar split.  As the only Village it is the only way to get as many Monument plays as possible.  When you've won the Bazaar split, Ball as many Monuments as you can expect to reasonably play in a turn.  Throw in a Storyteller for getting more consistent draw.  Draw out the game as long as necessary to win.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »

Bazaar is crucial. Without it, there is no Monument, and you are better off playing Embassy BM, which has to be just losing against Monument Engine.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 02:53:57 pm »
+1

Alright, so Ferry-Bazarr was the right call if I didn't know he was Ferrying Embassy. Good to know. If he was mirroring I would like to think I would have focused on trying to Ball double Bazarr like everyone says. Storyteller is something that can be splashed in after the Bazarrs are gone - you could even move the Ferry token to it so you can split Ball gains between it and Monument, if you really wanted. I think the engine player should probably skip Embassy altogether as you need all the terminal space you can get for Masq and Monument.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 03:05:05 pm »

Correct. While I may have not known this in foresight if I had played this board instead, I can now say that non-terminal Storyteller is fine draw compared to terminal Embassy. Since Monument is the payload, coins given from Bazaar are mostly irrelevant compared to the +Actions given.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.