Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Challenge I: Make Transmute Useful  (Read 3526 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Dominion Challenge I: Make Transmute Useful
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:55:56 pm »

I think I will try to create a Dominion Challenge every week or month or I don't know, just a fun way for people to think outside of the box and create new cards/Kingdoms/ideas or something else like this. I don't mind other people making challenges as well, people have so many more useful and cool ideas than I do, anyways. Alright, so here is the first challenge.

Create a Kingdom where going for Transmute is not only viable, but the strongest strategy. It has to be the best strategy on the board, but it does not have to be Transmute Big Money or something silly. The answer is almost certainly going to be an engine with a strong incentive to get other Potion cost cards anyways, so I will include another part of the challenge: You cannot have other Potion cost cards in the Kingdom, only Transmute.

I feel that Transmute is one of the single most misunderstood cards in all of Dominion, as a direct result of its being incredibly weak. As a result, this challenge will help people to possibly see cases where picking up a Transmute may be an okay play instead of simply ignoring it. Even Scout has its uses, why not Transmute? I am looking forward to the answers people submit.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Challenge I: Make Transmute Useful
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:08 pm »
+1

Transmute isn't a strategy in the same way Remodel isn't a strategy.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:59 pm »

Transmute, rats, silk road, throne room, royal carriage, procession, great hall, bureaucrat, secret chamber, duchess. No colony, no shelters.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:14:55 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »

Let's play big money!
Since straight transmute big money loses to straight big money I will assume this is okay.

Cards: transmute, crossroads, secret chamber, chancellor, develop, warehouse, coppersmith, feast, scout, walled village
Events: bonfire
Provinces/Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160622/log.0.1466616004283.txt

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160622/log.0.1466616434886.txt
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:35:09 pm by traces Around »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »

Here's one attempt that I'll flesh out and revise more later but I want to squeeze in the door now: Coin of the Realm, Cultist, Transmute, Duke, Beggar, Navigator, Cutpurse, Chancellor, Feast, Scout

Basically, if you neglect Transmute, you miss out on an easy way to trash Ruins to get Duchy for Dukes. Actions are plentiful, but not Buys, and the board is sloggy enough that Duke / Duchy should beat Province.

This challenge is a lot harder without being able to put Vineyard in the kingdom.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »

Let's play big money!
Since straight transmute big money loses to straight big money I will assume this is okay.

Cards: transmute, crossroads, secret chamber, chancellor, develop, warehouse, coppersmith, feast, scout, walled village
Events: bonfire
Provinces/Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160622/log.0.1466616004283.txt

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160622/log.0.1466616434886.txt

In both games, you only used Transmute once or twice, turning Estates into Golds, then trashed Transmute with Bonfire which is inconsequential. If Transmute is part of the best strategy on this board, why deviate from it? Also, that may sound harsh, but I don't think games against bots are proof enough.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:00:18 pm »

In both games, you only used Transmute once or twice, turning Estates into Golds, then trashed Transmute with Bonfire which is inconsequential. If Transmute is part of the best strategy on this board, why deviate from it?

Because it runs out of stuff to do. It's not like you keep your chapel around after getting to bishop/gold/silver/silver/chapel.

Also, that may sound harsh, but I don't think games against bots are proof enough.

Ok, cool. You wouldn't mind getting onto the client then I suppose. Though if seeing 6 provinces in under 17 turns on a board without any strong draw isn't enough proof, I am not sure what is.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:04:19 pm by traces Around »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:06:51 pm »

Transmute, rats, silk road, throne room, royal carriage, procession, great hall, bureaucrat, secret chamber, duchess. No colony, no shelters.

I feel that Bureaucrat looks somewhat strong here, much better than Transmute.  With it, I think Provinces beat a Silk Road / Great Hall / Estate thing, although not sure.  I would replace B-crat w/ Sea Hag.  Rats certainly help as Transmute fuel, and Duchess helps cus they're free and could be Processed into Great Halls to help your Silk Roads.  But ya, I just think this kingdom needs a junker.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:11:47 pm »
+1

Here's one attempt that I'll flesh out and revise more later but I want to squeeze in the door now: Coin of the Realm, Cultist, Transmute, Duke, Beggar, Navigator, Cutpurse, Chancellor, Feast, Scout

Basically, if you neglect Transmute, you miss out on an easy way to trash Ruins to get Duchy for Dukes. Actions are plentiful, but not Buys, and the board is sloggy enough that Duke / Duchy should beat Province.

This challenge is a lot harder without being able to put Vineyard in the kingdom.

I could be wrong, but I think straight Beggar-Duke would be stronger than Transmute, especially since Beggar also gets stronger in the presence of Cultist.  Maybe you could replace it with something else like Herbalist.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:29:52 pm »
+3

transmute works in big wharf engines where it's the only trasher, since that payload is important and your multiple buys make the potion less painful

A Ladder

• Baron
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »

Here's my attempt:

King's Court
Duke, Stables,
Throne Room, Island
Great Hall, Warehouse
Duchess, Crossroads
Transmute

Essentially you use Transmutes to snatch up Duchies, gaining Duchess in the process as Action food for your transmutes to keep going.
Stables for non-terminal draw and Warehouse for sifting gives you a better chance of colliding your Transmutes with Actions.
Use Transmute on the the Great Halls/Islands to get Gold/Duchies at one swing.
Use TR/KC on the Transmute when you start getting action dense to grab a bunch of duchies at one swing.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:34:17 pm by A Ladder »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:37:47 pm »

- Transmute
- Duchess
- Chancellor
- Scout
- Thief
- Feast
- Fortune Teller
- Secret Chamber
- Thief
- Rats

- Tax
- Obelisk (chosen card is Transmute)
- Tower

Key here are the Landmarks and Tax, as they make the Duchess/Duchy/Transmute three-pile gaining a lot more attractive. All other cards are supposed to be either useless, or with their only positive interaction being Transmute.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.