Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Darker-blue backed cards  (Read 7705 times)

steric

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Darker-blue backed cards
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:47:08 pm »

Correct me where I'm wrong here:

The darker-blue backed kingdom cards (at least in the base set - all I have) are for use as a randomizer, right? They are essentially the '11th' of each kingdom card (obviously not to be used for general play).

What about the darker-blue backed VP and Treasure cards? What are they for? Thats what I can't figure out.

Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:51:32 pm by steric »
No Pressure No Diamond

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: Darker-blue backed cards
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:36:15 pm »
+7

They are there to complete your set of blue-backed cards.  Gotta-catch-em-all.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:27 pm »
+1

I don't know if it's intended or not, but a common use for them is as a placeholder for when a pile runs out.  That way you can see right away that a pile is empty, instead of having to double-check that the pile wasn't just moved somewhere else by accident.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
+3

What about the darker-blue backed VP and Treasure cards? What are they for? Thats what I can't figure out.
They don't really have a use. You can mark empty piles with them, but there are lots of ways to mark empty piles.

steric

• Swindler
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:04:26 am »

Thanks everyone. That makes sense.
No Pressure No Diamond

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:49:08 am »
+2

Looking back on the first time I played Dominion, I think the person who taught me (who had only just played her first game) said that those cards were in there for really hardcore players who wanted to only play with some of the basic cards. Obviously that's not true, but it's really funny to think about.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 11:06:55 am »
+1

Looking back on the first time I played Dominion, I think the person who taught me (who had only just played her first game) said that those cards were in there for really hardcore players who wanted to only play with some of the basic cards. Obviously that's not true, but it's really funny to think about.

Interesting twist: playing Dominion with 10 random Action cards, 3-4 random Treasure cards and 3-4 random Victory cards each game. Include C/S/G/Pt and E/D/P/Col in the randomizer piles.

That would be really cool, actually.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »
+3

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:33:13 am »

You can use the Young Witch randomizer to mark the bane pile, the Black Market randomizer to mark the Black Market deck, and the randomizer cards for split piles/Knights/Castles can be used to resolve (mostly set-up) rules issues (for example, can you pick Castles or Encampment/Plunder when using Obelisk?)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 11:22:56 am »
+9

Am I the only person who kinda wishes the fronts of the randomizers were distinguishable from the normal cards? White borders, for example?

Particularly with the tokens from Adventures, it's good to know which empty pile is which, without it looking like a non-empty pile. Often you can remember OK, but once in a while I've resorted to tucking the randomizer under a face-down card.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 11:43:10 am »
+1

I think it would work better than it might seem at first glance. There aren’t THAT many Kingdom Victory cards and Treasures. Obviously terrible games can happen in there but it could be sometimes interesting.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 08:32:00 am »
+1

Am I the only person who kinda wishes the fronts of the randomizers were distinguishable from the normal cards? White borders, for example?

Particularly with the tokens from Adventures, it's good to know which empty pile is which, without it looking like a non-empty pile. Often you can remember OK, but once in a while I've resorted to tucking the randomizer under a face-down card.

Yeah, that would be useful.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 11:55:44 am »
+1

I think it would work better than it might seem at first glance. There aren’t THAT many Kingdom Victory cards and Treasures. Obviously terrible games can happen in there but it could be sometimes interesting.

This variant could be interesting if you first included the 'ordinary' victory/treasure/curse cards that were named by a specific kingdom card, e.g. Silver if Bureaucrat is present, Curse if Witch is present. This isn't necessary but prevents the kingdom from having cards that can't be used to the normal extent. Then, decide how to pick the remaining victory/treasure/curse cards, for example: while you have fewer than two victory and two treasure cards in the kingdom, draw from the 'ordinary' randomizers. I don't remember if there's a better word than 'ordinary' for cards like Duchy and Gold.

You might need an additional house rule for Mine, Rebuild, and a few others though ...

Umadin

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:21:06 am »
+1

I don't know if it's intended or not, but a common use for them is as a placeholder for when a pile runs out.  That way you can see right away that a pile is empty, instead of having to double-check that the pile wasn't just moved somewhere else by accident.

Gotta hate people moving and misplacing decks of the game sitting right in front of you...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.