Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Groundskeeper engine  (Read 1897 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
Groundskeeper engine
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:02:14 am »
+2

So I don't normally write game reports for a few reasons, partly because I'm self-conscious about posting bad play in the forums, but mostly because I forget to. This kingdom is kind of neat though, and I played it in real life so there is no log, so ha.

Isn't this board interesting-ish? You use Trade to trash, maybe even Market Square while you're trashing to get some Golds, all so you can use Storyteller to draw to get all of your Groundskeepers in play. Charm is really important, for picking up Storytellers and Groundskeepers at the same time - important enough that you might maybe even consider picking up Thief! (Spoiler: Thief is still not great, but I guess you might land on $4 at some point and want more early VP). The Villages don't really do much, but I guess if you're buying Estates or Duchies to capitalize on Groundskeeper points you might want to dodge them Victory cards or something. Maybe this isn't that interesting, but it's not every day you see a Silver flood as an engine strategy.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:28:15 am by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Groundskeeper engine
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 03:36:43 pm »
+1

So I don't normally write game reports for a few reasons, partly because I'm self-conscious about posting bad play in the forums

Don't be. Nobody would laugh at you if you played Rats Big Money. Part of the point of this subforum is to improve play.

This kingdom is kind of neat though, and I played it in real life so there is no log, so ha.

Isn't this board interesting-ish? You use Trade to trash, maybe even Market Square while you're trashing to get some Golds, all so you can use Storyteller to draw to get all of your Groundskeepers in play. Charm is really important, for picking up Storytellers and Groundskeepers at the same time - important enough that you might maybe even consider picking up Thief! (Spoiler: Thief is still not great, but I guess you might land on $4 at some point and want more early VP). The Villages don't really do much, but I guess if you're buying Estates or Duchies to capitalize on Groundskeeper points you might want to dodge them Victory cards or something. Maybe this isn't that interesting, but it's not every day you see a Silver flood as an engine strategy.

I have not played Dominion: Empires yet, so I have no idea about the power level of cards, but Storyteller is fantastic here. Charm Groundskeeper/Storyteller seems to be the go to thing, as you said. Trade is alright here, not great (though I'd still probably just buy it). It doesn't thin you at all, it only improves your deck a bit. Market Square is fine, free Golds are nice and the +Buy is great, when you'd rather be using Charms for the gains anyways. Aquaduct looks particularly great with Treasure gaining, so I think it's a fine strategy as any.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

convolucid

• Baron
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:20:04 pm »

Obviously it's super early in Empire's release, but I think Charm is excellent. Probably the key to this kingdom is getting $5 + Charm as fast as possible so that you can have an overwhelming majority of Groundskeeper/Stables/Storyteller.

Without having played either Aqueduct or Groundskeeper, I wonder when it's wise to grab green in the midgame just to cash in on points. My experience with Storyteller is that it's very feast or famine, so maybe in game I'd feel confident about my deck's tolerance for green. Hmm, I might try to pick up a few Vagrants just to give myself more leeway.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:15:55 am »
+1

I have not played Dominion: Empires yet, so I have no idea about the power level of cards, but Storyteller is fantastic here. Charm Groundskeeper/Storyteller seems to be the go to thing, as you said. Trade is alright here, not great (though I'd still probably just buy it). It doesn't thin you at all, it only improves your deck a bit. Market Square is fine, free Golds are nice and the +Buy is great, when you'd rather be using Charms for the gains anyways. Aquaduct looks particularly great with Treasure gaining, so I think it's a fine strategy as any.

Trade does "thin" you, sort of. It doesn't reduce the physical number of cards you have, but it gives you more fuel for Storyteller, so you need fewer Storytellers to draw your whole deck. And obviously it increases your money output too. I think it's important on early $5+ hands to start Trading, but maybe not at the expense of early Charms and stuff? You also have to consider that each Trade is worth 1-2 VP.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:17:09 am »

I have vastly underrated Trade for a long time now. I will have to buy it sometime, everyone is telling me it is a fine card.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.