Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Duplicate pronunciation  (Read 2102 times)

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
Duplicate pronunciation
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »
+5

Here's an Adventures ruling question:

How do you pronounce "Duplicate?"

The majority of kingdom cards appear to be nouns. Some of these nouns can also be used as verbs, such as "Feast" or even "Count," but the clear implication is that most of the time the word is being used in the noun form. With most of these noun/verbs, the pronunciation is the same whether it's a noun or a verb, but "to duplicate" and "a duplicate" are pronounced differently. Is there an official ruling? Not that it makes any difference, but when playing IRL, you have to say the card name.

Then again, when describing your actions, it's not at all uncommon to use card names that are clearly nouns in place of verbs in a sentence. "I'm going to Throne Room a Smithy" is grammatically senseless outside of Dominion, but I'm guessing it's fairly common form.

P.S. Interestingly, while most kingdom cards are nouns, most events are verbs. Some of them are also noun/verbs, but most of those are probably intended to be verbs; I always think of "Ferry" as an action that I am taking, such as "I am going to Ferry Goons." This seems true for most events. Well...other than "Ball." Saying "I'm going to invite a couple of Duchesses to the Ball" just seems more polite than the alternative.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate pronunciation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 04:20:38 pm »
+3

Here's an Adventures ruling question:

How do you pronounce "Duplicate?"

The majority of kingdom cards appear to be nouns. Some of these nouns can also be used as verbs, such as "Feast" or even "Count," but the clear implication is that most of the time the word is being used in the noun form. With most of these noun/verbs, the pronunciation is the same whether it's a noun or a verb, but "to duplicate" and "a duplicate" are pronounced differently. Is there an official ruling? Not that it makes any difference, but when playing IRL, you have to say the card name.
At least one person wanted me not to answer this question, when it came up before. And uh. As of yet, nothing in the game cares about pronunciation. So it does not appear to actually be a rules question.

I always tell people to feel free to play by house rules, and well man, pronunciation, if you don't already feel free there then I don't know what to tell you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:32:47 pm »
+1

Note that there are verb cards, like Expand, Develop and Transmute, and cards that could be nouns but are far more common as verbs, like Remodel, Remake and Rebuild.

Personally, I think Duplicate works better as a verb.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:27:04 pm »
+1

Personally, I think Duplicate works better as a verb.

This is how I think about it, as well, because you gain another card which is the duplicate (noun). If Duplicate (the card) was a noun, to me that would imply that the card itself is the duplicate (noun), kind of like Band of Misfits.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 05:31:14 pm »
+1

It's pronounced "Throat-Warbler-Mangrove."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:47:10 am »
+4

It's a noun when you buy it but a verb when you play/call it.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:57 am »
+6

I choose to believe that Duplicate the card is the verb (d(y)o͞opləˌkāt), and the word on Menagerie is the noun (d(y)o͞opləkət), thus preventing a fake confusion that doesn't actually exist except in the world of jokes and pedantry (the world where Awaclus comes from).

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:05 am »

I use the verb form, as you use it for duplicating cards.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.