Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Expand  (Read 3024 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Expand
« on: June 18, 2016, 11:44:31 am »
+1

Like King's Court, it's a $7 version of a Base Set $4 card with "two" replaced with "three". Unlike King's Court, it's nowhere much on the Qvist rankings.

What are the best situations for this card?
How valuable is its flexibility, in terms of what card types it can trash?
Have you ever Processioned an Expand into a Prince?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Prosperity Cards: Expand
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 11:58:24 am »

This is better in longer games.  It's one of those cards that can be a distraction if you only get to use it once (or not at all) because of its high expense, but if you can play it multiple times, it can give you a distinct advantage over your opponent(s).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 02:51:01 pm »

I actually love Expand, especially in Province games.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:46:36 pm »

When I was first introduced to Prosperity years ago I assumed you were supposed to mainly expand Provinces into Colonies but that seems awfully slow to me now, especially compared to Rebuild. Expanding $5-cost cards into Provinces actually seems more reasonable but even that is not always worth spending $7 on, except if you have exactly $7 and don't need any particular $5-cost. Even then I feel like it often competes badly with Gold but that might just be me underestimating Expand.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:18:38 pm by Co0kieL0rd »
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 09:47:57 am »

Expand is a card that I always want to be good, so I keep buying it, and then I use it like twice in one game and it wasn't that good.

Occasionally you use it as a $7 Graverobber to give an engine a way to have a multiple Province turn or two at the end and hey that's actually pretty okay sometimes. But you had to give up an early Province (almost) to get it, so it isn't always a great move.

It's one of the few trash for benefit cards that can change Copper into a useful Action when there aren't any $2s on the board, so you sometimes buy it for Scrying Pool, and that's cool.

If there's not much opportunity cost to get one, it's worth it, or if the board doesn't have a lot else going on. It isn't a power card.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:16:19 am »

Expand shines when it's the only (good) way to trash Estates or Curses. Turning Estates into $5 Actions or Curses into Silvers is very nice.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.