Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tom Vasel Empires Review  (Read 13174 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Tom Vasel Empires Review
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:39:05 pm »
+2

The most well-known game reviewer shares his thoughts on Empires. What do you guys think? https://youtube.com/watch?v=hkh-4quO3uc
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:08:27 pm by Beyond Awesome »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Vasel Empires Review
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »

So how do you pronounce "Villa"? I've been saying it as soft "L" sounds, like in "Vanilla"... but I know that sometimes "LL" is pronounced "Y" like Tom did.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 10:13:05 pm »
+6

I will never understand this "there aren't enough Potions/debt cards to make them interesting" criticism, but at least it left him wanting more? The "Dominion jumped the shark" comment is probably a conclusion only a board game enthusiast can come to; from someone who just/primarily plays Dominion it's such a weird perspective.

Pretty fair review otherwise for the most part, I thought. It is a trickier expansion than some, but has a lot of fascinating cards. I also agree that more Debt cards might have been nice, though I think what we have is a good amount too. I prefer when Tom does these solo to when he has his friends spitballing with him.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:33:11 pm »
+2

I thought it was a fair review as a whole. One thing problem Dominion is always going to hit is that it wants to both be good when playing just a single expansion, and also be good when randomly choosing from all sets. If you weren't worried about the former, for example, then you could have a set that was just all Debt cards; that sort of thing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:23:08 pm »
+3

idk, when I heard about split piles I thought Dominion jumped the shark too. A lot of the Gathering cards felt the same way to me because of how complicated the VP dealing process can be - some of the mechanics feel a bit fiddly. When cards don't have one core idea, they turn into a big ball of mechanics you have to explicitly memorize, and it feels like there are more cards like that in this set.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 11:57:27 pm »
+5

So how do you pronounce "Villa"? I've been saying it as soft "L" sounds, like in "Vanilla"... but I know that sometimes "LL" is pronounced "Y" like Tom did.

I'm pretty sure it should be a regular English "L" sound.  "LL" as a "Y" sound is Spanish, and Villa isn't from Spanish.

I will never understand this "there aren't enough Potions/debt cards to make them interesting" criticism, but at least it left him wanting more?

In the context that Tom said it, I think it's the sentiment that, hey, here's something really cool... but if you play full random, you're rarely going to see it, and that's disappointing.  I think that's fair, but it's also easy to fix -- don't do full random.

But when people say this in general about Potion cards, they're actually saying it negatively and it comes from a lack of skill in the game.  The complaint is that Potion-cost cards are so uncommon in full random that you rarely see more than one on the same board, and in that case Potion isn't worth buying at all so the Potion-cost card is just a dead slot in the kingdom!  This is a really common misconception and tends to get repeated enough (e.g. whenever a player asks, "what expansion should I get next?" on reddit or BGG) that some players just assume it is true and don't bother testing it out themselves.  Alchemy cards are severely underestimated.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 12:17:37 am »

I don't think Dominion has jumped the shark. Empires seem one of the best designed expansions ever. I might be wrong though. Some cards seem complex, but I still feel Adventures was just as complex if not more complex. But, hey, I'm biased as is most people on these forums.

As far as there not being enough Debt cards, we get 12 cards total including Events/Landmarks that make use of Debt. Guilds only gave us 4 cards that gave coin tokens, so I'm not really complaining. I would like to see more split piles though. And, who knows, since Split Piles don't require extra components, we may just end up getting more.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 12:43:56 am »

"Excellent... for experienced Dominion players."

I actually played the first Empires only set (without the Landmark) with two friends who've played Dominion a few times, though intermittently, and one who had never played before, or even heard the term "deckbuilder" before.  I was nervous at first, but everyone had a lot of fun, and the newbie seemed to pick up on what was going on pretty quickly.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 12:46:56 am »

Guilds only gave us 4 cards that gave coin tokens, so I'm not really complaining.

Five! Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker, Butcher, and Merchant Guild. There are only 4 overpay cards, though.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:48:14 am »
+2

I don't really understand how split piles are "fiddly". It's like the simplest mechanic in the expansion. Simpler than Debt and even Durations. Is it somehow fiddly to make sure the stack is ordered correctly?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 12:50:12 am »
+2

Guilds only gave us 4 cards that gave coin tokens, so I'm not really complaining.

Five! Candlestick Maker, Plaza, Baker, Butcher, and Merchant Guild. There are only 4 overpay cards, though.

I only complain about there only being 3 Looters (and only 2 of them Attacks!) because it means that strategy involving Ruins (like that Sacrifice is a good counter to Cultist/Marauder) becomes less and less relevant as time progresses.  We've got this huge, big-ass pile of basic cards, and they're only put out on the table for 3 cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 03:25:21 am »
+1

I don't really understand how split piles are "fiddly". It's like the simplest mechanic in the expansion. Simpler than Debt and even Durations. Is it somehow fiddly to make sure the stack is ordered correctly?

I assume he meant "fiddly" in terms of strategy.  Like, am I going to have to buy all the top cards by myself?  If I do, will my opponent(s) snatch up the better cards underneath?  If they let me take the five top cards, will it screw them over, and so we'll all be fighting over those cards?  Does a 2/3 split matter as much as, say, a 6-4 Curse or Minion split?

The Gathering cards have similar strategy issues.  I see this as a good thing, but some people might not, I guess?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 03:46:13 am »
+3

What happened to the part where you see all the components falling down on the table?  :(

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 07:06:12 am »
+1

I actually quite liked his review.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 07:57:11 am »
+6

I would guess that because a split pile contains multiple different cards, players have to move the cards from the top of the split pile to read the other card in the pile. Most players are not able to immediately assimilate card information like we Dominion enthusiasts, so many more passive players will likely find themselves constantly reaching into a split pile to read what a covered card does.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:29:03 am »
+1

"Dominion jumped the shark" 
I had this thought yesterday. I don't think it has, but I do think it's possible.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 08:44:40 am »

I had this thought yesterday. I don't think it has, but I do think it's possible.

I think a more useful question would be: does this expansion have the quality we've grown to expect from Dominion, and does it add enough different stuff to give interesting new experiences?

Answered that, each of us can individually decide when we're tired of Dominion.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 08:48:23 am »

I think a more useful question would be: does this expansion have the quality we've grown to expect from Dominion, and does it add enough different stuff to give interesting new experiences?

Answered that, each of us can individually decide when we're tired of Dominion.
I'm by no means tired of Dominion. I know Donald isn't in it for the money, and I think until that happens, Dominion won't jump the shark. Maybe when we see a card that you throw at the table...
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 08:51:17 am »
+15

How geeky is it to review a review of a board game?

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 09:12:24 am »

We should review that post.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 09:14:56 am »
+5

We should review that post.

Smoky, with a hint of nutmeg.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 09:56:49 am »
+2

The phrase "jumped the shark" simply makes no sense in this context. It makes sense applied to TV shows and maybe books or other similar serial mediums, but expansions for a board game? Not following the analogy here.

Each expansion has always brought a new concept to the game. This is nothing unique to Empires. Duration cards. Mats. Potions. VP tokens. Colonies. On buy effects. Non-suppy cards. Ruins. Shepters. Coin tokens. Overpay. Reserve cards. Traveler cards. Events. And the list goes on.

Empires adds split piles, debt, and landmarks. That has finally crossed the line and is too gimmicky or fiddly? This is such a bizarre criticism for a game that just released its tenth expansion. The fact that the game continues to push the boundaries of the game and find new ways to keep the game fresh and balanced is remarkable for a game that has released 10 expansions.

With that said, having played a few games in person, split piles and debt are very easy to implement. Much easier than I expected. Landmarks can require more tracking, but is that a bad thing? If it is, don't play with them every game (or at all). If you're playing online, well the system will do most of the heavy lifting for you.

allanfieldhouse

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +374
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2016, 10:16:11 am »
+5

The phrase "jumped the shark" simply makes no sense in this context.

It totally makes sense to ask the question in this context. Most of your post consists of examples of why Dominion HASN'T jumped the shark.

If Donald ever runs out of good ideas but continues to release sets, then people would agree that the game had jumped the shark. Luckily, he seems to be filled with good ideas and willing to stop publishing when he runs out.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2016, 11:15:10 am »
+1

The phrase "jumped the shark" simply makes no sense in this context.
If Donald ever runs out of good ideas but continues to release sets, then people would agree that the game had jumped the shark.
Running out of ideas, or a mere decline in quality, is not "jumping the shark."

However, the phrase has been stretched far beyond its original meaning over time, so I'll let it go. Obviously I understand what Tom was driving at and I disagree with his reasoning.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:56 am »
+3

I assume he meant "fiddly" in terms of strategy.  Like, am I going to have to buy all the top cards by myself?  If I do, will my opponent(s) snatch up the better cards underneath?  If they let me take the five top cards, will it screw them over, and so we'll all be fighting over those cards?  Does a 2/3 split matter as much as, say, a 6-4 Curse or Minion split?

The Gathering cards have similar strategy issues.  I see this as a good thing, but some people might not, I guess?

Man, a simple mechanic that gives rise to complex strategy or difficult decisions is exactly what makes a well designed game/sport/activity/whatever, I think.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.